IGNORED

first birdie curse?

polodinks
Note: This thread is 5822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ok im not a great golfer but my handicap is anywhere from 25-28.... so im not the worst no offence to anyone..... but anyways i used to play golf very little about when i was 13 im 19 now and just got into it very heavy playing as much as i can this last year matter of fact i played 5 days in a row a month ago i just cant get enough but anyways..... when i play at my country club i try to make a par or 2 each round my cc is only 9 holes but ive never made a birdie ive had lots of chances to make birdies i was putting for birdie 3 holes in a row about a 8-10 ft putt for each and somtimes closer just never dropped for me maybe its a curse for me already lol....... i dont know but i really want a birdie BAD im going tomorrow morning golfing weather permitting and maybe tomorrow is the day well see but has anyone done this?

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

Maybe the fact that you're a bogey golfer has something to do with the lack of birdies.
Think of a par for you as a birdie.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

I play with a friend who is probably really close to your handicap and he has been playing for about 6 months(gets out once a week), and just had his first birdie last week. He like you has had many chances but was never able to convert. I would recomend spending a little time practicing your putting and you will soon make one of those 10 footers. Patience young man they will come, and like Fanco! said, par is like your birdie for now at least

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

ya i made 2 pars on the back nine and i was happy but them i got really irritated from the heat and only made 2 triples just wish it wasent so damn hot

Its the golfing Gods Polodinks. You must have upset them at some point.Have you not been replacing your divots,fixing your pitch marks or cursing when you duff one?
The only way you can correct this is to on the first tee press your nose into the ground (press it !) and say the words
"O golfing gods forgive me for my past crimes against you,Do not make me suffer this day"
Repeat this ten times.
Eventually if you do this every time you play,you will be forgiven, the birdies will come not once but many times.You will know when the Gods are on your side again when you get one after the other

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I was just playing for the pars (well, bogeys too) when my first three birdies fell in my lap. The key is to get good at hitting greens in regulation, and one of these days, a putt will fall. You can't be getting overly excited about GIR, though, or you won't be able to focus on the putt.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even when I was a 20 handicap at my local course, There was a couple years when I only got 2-3 birdies a year. My first ever birdie on that course was a chip in and was the greatest day of that year.

It'll come, it takes time.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Just concentrate on making solid strokes and racking up pars. The birdies will come in time.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

i have 1 problem with my game and i cant seem to fix until my local riving range opens back up again..... my dad told me when ever your just not hitting right with your driver hit a 4 iron off the tee hit what your comfortable with.... my dad is a good golfer maybe a 7 or less handicap so i took the advice..... i got so used to hitting a iron off the tee box that i know this sounds dumb but i forgot how to swing a driver i just cant make contact at all so im only using my irons off the tee so thats one reason i only get about 190- 200yds out of my 4-5 iron ..... and i know that if i was driving the ball an extra 50 yds it would greatly help my game so right now my only way to make a birdie is on a par 3 and i had LOTS of chances and somtimes on a par 4 but on a par 5 bye bye birdie ill be super happy to walk with a par or bogey but alot of people want to walk with that too somtimes....... end a long story short i need to hit my driver again....

i have 1 problem with my game and i cant seem to fix until my local riving range opens back up again..... my dad told me when ever your just not hitting right with your driver hit a 4 iron off the tee hit what your comfortable with.... my dad is a good golfer maybe a 7 or less handicap so i took the advice..... i got so used to hitting a iron off the tee box that i know this sounds dumb but i forgot how to swing a driver i just cant make contact at all so im only using my irons off the tee so thats one reason i only get about 190- 200yds out of my 4-5 iron ..... and i know that if i was driving the ball an extra 50 yds it would greatly help my game so right now my only way to make a birdie is on a par 3 and i had LOTS of chances and somtimes on a par 4 but on a par 5 bye bye birdie ill be super happy to walk with a par or bogey but alot of people want to walk with that too somtimes....... end a long story short i need to hit my driver again....

You hit your 4-iron 200? How are you playing your par-5s that birdies aren't in the picture?

I hit my driver about 200 and can usually play the par-5s in a cumulative one over for the round. Just plan your second shot around your third shot.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

i make my occasional par and try to make bogey on a par 5 its just when im playing the par 4's my cousin and my fathers 2nd shot is a wedge my second shot is a 8 iron maybe a 7 iron i just feel that if i was hitting that extra 40-50 yards i could have a better chance at a birdie......

It took me a while to get my first birdie like most people. I did have a friend that had never played golf before and we took him out to play with us one day. He had never even been to the range, and on his second hole he birdied it. True story.

Now, here is how it happened. It was a Par 3, severe downhill and about 110 yds. It was a PW for me back then and today it would probably be a half 52 wedge at most with the severe downhill. This guy tops his first ball and it rolls halfway down the hill into the thick grass. He goes to hit is second shot, the ball comes flying out of the grass straight down the hill, hits just before the green, takes two hops and goes right in the hole.

My other two buddies and I were floored. We all had been playing about three years and had less than 10 birdies between us all and this guy comes along and gets one on his second hole. Of course, I don't think he broke triple bogey the rest of the day

In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

i got my dead on moment 2 days ago i just couldent do nothing wrong for 4 holes 1st hole was a 200yd shot right down the middle hit 2nd shot came up to the frindge chipped on for a 4 foot putt and made it in 1 for par 2nd hole was another par 4 and i got a bogey and the other 2 holes were the same then came the par 5 and messed up bad for a triple after that i made another bogey

i make my occasional par and try to make bogey on a par 5 its just when im playing the par 4's my cousin and my fathers 2nd shot is a wedge my second shot is a 8 iron maybe a 7 iron i just feel that if i was hitting that extra 40-50 yards i could have a better chance at a birdie......

Try an experiment: go out without your usual group and move your ball 40-50 yards farther along the same line after each tee shot for par-4 and par-5s. If your distance goal includes irons, move up a tee box on par-3s. For obvious reasons, don't report this round for handicap - it's just a practice round, and you will clearly not be playing by the rules anyway. Give yourself approximately the same lie you had, then hit the shot from there. See if the number of strokes taken compares favorably. If it does, then you have cause to worry about distance. If not, that isn't your weak point.

By the way, that isn't trying to talk you into just doing short game. It's fully possible that more distance will help you. I discovered through a similar process that distance will help me, largely by bringing long par-4s into reach in two and by making my second shot much easier on par-5s (mid-iron instead of 3W/3H).
i got my dead on moment 2 days ago i just couldent do nothing wrong for 4 holes 1st hole was a 200yd shot right down the middle hit 2nd shot came up to the frindge chipped on for a 4 foot putt and made it in 1 for par 2nd hole was another par 4 and i got a bogey and the other 2 holes were the same then came the par 5 and messed up bad for a triple after that i made another bogey

You need to remember the good "streak" - it should show, to you, your potential as a player. You need to remember it, because it shows quite plainly that you're capable of playing very well. It's memories like those that help me when I'm improving, and I when I play "above my level" for a few holes, I use the memory to remind me how well I can play. It helps. It helps me and it can help you.

-- Michael | My swing! 

mate ive only got 4 birdies ever which i know is sad. my putting is woeful. i just hit a crap load of pars. i once hit a 39 off the back 9 with 7 pars 1 double bogey and a bogey.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

ok im not a great golfer but my handicap is anywhere from 25-28.... so im not the worst no offence to anyone..... but anyways i used to play golf very little about when i was 13 im 19 now and just got into it very heavy playing as much as i can this last year matter of fact i played 5 days in a row a month ago i just cant get enough but anyways..... when i play at my country club i try to make a par or 2 each round my cc is only 9 holes but ive never made a birdie ive had lots of chances to make birdies i was putting for birdie 3 holes in a row about a 8-10 ft putt for each and somtimes closer just never dropped for me maybe its a curse for me already lol....... i dont know but i really want a birdie BAD im going tomorrow morning golfing weather permitting and maybe tomorrow is the day well see but has anyone done this?

The prospect of success has caused me to fail as much as the fear of failure.

You'll be playing a par something and uncharacteristically knock one in the hole. It will come. Dont' worry about it.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

yea. I'm about a nine handicap, and I usually only get 1 birdie a round. If you can just play consistent and get pars, you will definately improve. When I first started and played bogey golf I played to get at least one par for every double, treat each par as a birdie, and it'll pump you up and keep you in a good mood. Just take a couple lessons and it'll start to get easier and easier.

Driver Launcher 7.5 YSQ Xshaft
2Hybrid Rescue Hybrid 17*
Irons Tour Preferred 3-PW
Wedges Vokey 52*
Wedges Vokey SM 60*Putter Abaco 33"Ball TP/Red/LDP or Penta TP

Just forget about the birdies, they will come. The more you want them, the more nervous you'll be over the birdie putts. The next time you have a putt for birdie, think of it as a putt for double bogey (or whatever). Just train your mind to relax over those types of putts.

Good luck - it'll come.

Note: This thread is 5822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!