IGNORED

hypocritical.

tlewsadder
Note: This thread is 5839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

today i took my wife to this little par 3 course not too far away. we were having a good time and she was actually shooting a pretty impressive score when this guy interrupts her in her swing to tell her that she cant tee off on the grass, only the mats. she had placed her ball and tee behind the mat and to the left. her swing is so soft that she never makes contact with the ground on her tee shot. so if the issue was taking a divot... it wasnt going to happen.

i knew the guy who said it works at the course and although he was playing with friends, he still felt it necessary to totally be rude to my wife. being big fans of golf and the respect and courtesy that go along with it we listened to the guy and kept playing.

after finishing the hole we noticed that the guy who had enforced this rule was playing in the group right in front of us. a group of 6 golfers and a friend who was walking with them. we know that the course rule is no more than four players per group. also there is a course rule for no walkers.

to make a long story short. the guy who was such a stickler about the rules and insisted that we follow them was himself breaking two rules and totally slowing down play by doing so. on the last hole when we finally decided to walk up and make our presence known in hopes of them hurrying a bit, we saw two of them hide a pipe and exhale some smoke that was that very distinct marajuana smell.

i never am a jerk about people playing slow or would i ever care about what people do on the course... (drink, smoke) but for the guy to be such a jerk then be in the wrong himself in so many ways.... it was very frustrating.

i was trying to think of a way to get back at this guy and without straight out being a jerk right back to him there is no way. i know that sportsmanship has to come first and sinking to his level would be a poor example to anyone else. i know they have a tournament at that course every few months. i have a friend who helps set it up. i think i will enter and ask my friend to pair me with the guy. it is a par 3 course and my 100 yard and in game is great right now. i will beat him with my "stick" if you know what i mean.

thanks for allowing me to vent.

cheers,
t

toby
in my bag:
driver: titleist D1 9.5 stiff3 & 5 wood: taylormade burner stiffhybrid: taylormade rescue mid 21 stiffirons: mizuno mp-60 4 thru pwwedges: cleveland cg 10's (52,56,60)putter: scotty cameron Newport 2 (35 inch)balls: titleist pro v1 (how do you...

Being a golf course employee we are expressly forbidden to tell the public anything unless we are on the clock and doing our job. Plus we are held to a higher expectation in the way we conduct ourselves. Doing any of the stuff this guy pulled would be instant termination. You chould have contacted someone in charge.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would tell his boss about his behavior. not only was he breaking the rules but he was breaking the law on the course. Im sure the higher ups would not be to pleased with his behavior.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I'd like to echo the sentiments about being direct to his supervisor. This way, not only does it get handled, but he'll know it was because of his inappropriate behavior, instead of simply being beaten.

Please also warn us which course this happened at. Was it the Van Nuys par-3 near Odessa? Similar stuff has happened to me at that course before.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Exactly, report him to whoever manages or owns the course. Tell him he should be doing his job, when hes working, and minding his own business.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I wouldn't "rat" him out. That doesn't do anybody any good (unless you really want him fired).

Do you see him at all? Maybe approach him and tell him why you thought he was being annoying when he was telling your wife what to do. Then let him know that his sixsome slowing down the course was annoying, and that while you don't mind people getting green on the links, you don't think that somebody playing stoned should be telling others what to do on the course.

Do this in a non-confrontational manner. Do it in a manner that lets him know that you thought he was a jerk to you, but you aren't in the game of being a jerk, even if you know he was smoking weed on the course.

This will likely cause him to respect you more than hold a grudge against you. Even though you might not want him as a friend, it is always better to make a new friend (or gain somebody's respect) than to piss somebody off out of revenge.

That's my take anyway.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I wouldn't go as far as to tell his boss, but I would have definitely told him about his hypocrytical behavior. I'm not one to go looking for conflict, but if I felt someone was being rude to either my wife or my child, I would definitely have more than a few words for them.

In My Bag:
SQ Dymo2 10.5
SQ Dymo2 15
a2 3-PW
Tom Watson Wedges 52, 56, 60 Unitized Retro 33"

I would tell his boss about his behavior. not only was he breaking the rules but he was breaking the law on the course. Im sure the higher ups would not be to pleased with his behavior.

I would absolutely tell his boss. Not with the intention of getting him fired, but with the intention of him knowing what is right, and what isn't. First off, one small divot (and according to the threadstarter, probably no divot)--isn't going to hurt anybody. If the course is in that bad of shape, they need signs that say "HIT OFF OF MATS ONLY". Personally if someone talked to me or a playing partner, wife or not--in their backswing--I would have gotten p***ed. And after seeing him in a group of six with another walker. Def. would have said something to someone.

I'm not anti-pot, but I don't go around smoking on public courses--especially with friggin people around. To do what he was doing and to tell your wife what he did, I personally feel he deserves some kind of reprimand from his boss, and a definite tongue-lashing for sure!!!

I wouldn't "rat" him out. That doesn't do anybody any good (unless you really want him fired).

I wouldn't go as far as to tell his boss, but I would have definitely told him about his hypocrytical behavior. I'm not one to go looking for conflict, but if I felt someone was being rude to either my wife or my child, I would definitely have more than a few words for them.

I these are a more reasonable approach, the guy probably was just puffing out his chest since he worked there. He may not have even intended to be rude, but be more of a bad-ass in front of his buddies. And you said you didn't see him "puffin da cheeba", just two of the group, so that may be a little harsh to narc on him, even though he should be responsible for his buddies behaviour. If it does bother you and you play there often I would say something to him, and if it gets heated then mention the pot smoking, it probably will tighten him up a little. It is hard to turn the other cheek, but sometimes you have to be the bigger man and not get worked up about some douchebag. Are there any other par threes in your area, because I am not sure I would go back to that one if that is the kind of hassle that comes along with playing there.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I these are a more reasonable approach, the guy probably was just puffing out his chest since he worked there. He may not have even intended to be rude, but be more of a bad-ass in front of his buddies. And you said you didn't see him "puffin da cheeba", just two of the group, so that may be a little harsh to narc on him, even though he should be responsible for his buddies behaviour. If it does bother you and you play there often I would say something to him, and if it gets heated then mention the pot smoking, it probably will tighten him up a little. It is hard to turn the other cheek, but sometimes you have to be the bigger man and not get worked up about some douchebag. Are there any other par threes in your area, because I am not sure I would go back to that one if that is the kind of hassle that comes along with playing there.

A bad ass? For telling a young lady (and new golfer I might add) that she is breaking a stupid rule at an amateur course? And he's smoking weed and playing in a 6-some at the same time? Guy sounds like a major league ass, I would go to his boss. Most "bosses" I know would appreciate getting the heads up on a jerk like that rather than getting sued when the guy runs over some little girl on the way home. You laugh, but it happens. You are better off telling the boss. It's not your responsibility to have a "heart to heart" with the guy.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

If I would have felt his tone was unwarranted, I would have said something to him about it, so he knew. Being in the business I preach to my employees to be respectful even if the player is being disrespectful to the course, anything else asks for trouble. There is absolutely no reason not to mention it to the pro shop manager, as I'm sure management would want to nip it in the bud so as the employee doesn't feel he can treat the patrons in that manner on a regular basis.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Slip him an exploding golf ball?

"Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end."

Started playing - April 25th, 2008

In my bag: FT-5 Neutral Driver 9° 990B Irons Rifle Flighted Shafts (3-PW) Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Midslant Vokey wedges 252*08,256*12 and 260*04 PROV1xSequoyah National - A Robert Trent...

I'm generally a very calm person, but reading your post actually did stir a little bit of anger in me. I think it's a terrible shame that a nice day out with your wife has to be tainted by some idiot pontificating.

There is nothing that annoys me quite as much on the golf course, as people who act like they own the course and you are some kind of unwelcome freeloader there on probation. I think it's despicable that your wife should be made to feel like she is doing something wrong when she is just there trying to have a nice time and enjoy golf.

I would hazard a guess that the reason he felt so compelled to say something is because it's the only opportunity he gets in his pathetic life to sound important. Unimportant people love nothing more than to bask in the glory of correcting other people on their mistakes.

I wouldn't bother trying to think up ways to get him back. Don't even give it another thought, he's not worth your attention. I think the important thing is to let your wife see that you are not phased by him, and that she shouldn't be either. I think I would make a point of telling her she can royally ignore him (dipshit) and tee off from wherever the hell she likes (what are they going to do? throw you off the course? When he is smoking a pipe out too! don't make me laugh).

I hope at very least, she was not too put off by the experience.

Actually, if you make a mention to his boss, you aren't "ratting" him out. What you are doing is allowing the boss to do his job correctly. His boss probably keeps a file of any and all complaints on his team. If this is the first incident then the guy is not going to get fired. The boss will just re-explain the expectations to him. If this is the millionth complaint, though, then the boss will take appropriate action (which probably could result in his termination).

The boss also has certain channels he probably has to go through to help this guy out. Or, this guy may have already been fired and he was just being a jerk on the golf course, which frees you up to be a jerk right back if you want to. Either way, if you aren't comfortable talking to this guy (which usually is the case since tempers can sometimes get in the way), then going to his boss or any manager at the course is a good way to get it off your chest and to be sure that it doesn't happen to anyone again. Good luck! PS: Can you tell I'm a manager in my own day-to-day life? I can't believe how cliche I find myself being these days.

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

wow. thanks for all the responses.

after thinking about it for a couple of days i have thought it through with a cooler head and realized a few things. for one, im am so lucky to have such a awesome wife. i am even luckier to have her playing golf with me. i am also lucky enough to be able to demolish any of the guys in his group. to top it off, i dont have to call that hole in the wall course my home course, but he does.

this particular course doesnt exactly have the golf environment that many other courses do. it tends to be a place for the local guys to hang out and drink beer. many guys here are playing in jeans, tank tops, no shirt, and so on. in no way do i mean to disrespect anyone or their choices. it is just not what i think of as a professional golf environment.

so to make a long story short, this guy has it a lot worse than i do. it doesnt excuse what he did but it makes me feel better. my life is pretty awesome. i am married to a great woman, i live in and own a house in a area that i shouldnt be able to afford to live in. (thanks to my uncle, RIP) my golf game is getting better by the day. i just bought season tickets to USC football (fight on). my family is healthy... i know.. i am bragging....

and finally, a older gentleman who used to give me golf lessons called the other day and i told him the story.... he gives lessons at that course sometimes and is good friends with the manager. i told him not to make a big deal out of it but he said that there have been other complaints about this guy trying to police the course and that he would include my story when telling the manager all of the stories that he had heard.

so.... im not too sure if that is being a rat or not. i didnt mean to sound boastful in my earlier text. i guess i just realize how lucky i am and that life could be worse. so why let some jack-ass burst my bubble.

toby
in my bag:
driver: titleist D1 9.5 stiff3 & 5 wood: taylormade burner stiffhybrid: taylormade rescue mid 21 stiffirons: mizuno mp-60 4 thru pwwedges: cleveland cg 10's (52,56,60)putter: scotty cameron Newport 2 (35 inch)balls: titleist pro v1 (how do you...

i guess i just realize how lucky i am and that life could be worse. so why let some jack-ass burst my bubble.

well put.... +1 from me

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

i guess i just realize how lucky i am and that life could be worse. so why let some jack-ass burst my bubble.

That's one of the smartest things I have heard in a long time.

And I mean that. No sarcasm. Good for you for breaking the cycle of repetative one-upsmanship "who's the bigger arsewhole".

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

Note: This thread is 5839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!