IGNORED

Golf and serendipity

pjsnyc
Note:Β This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Thought I'd share this little story with you all.

Two weekends ago, I went to play a round with my friend Matt at Van Cortlandt Golf Course. The course (as locals will verify) has many gaps in between holes - the longest being between 14 and 15. Anyway, as we approach the 15th tee, Matt realizes his SW was missing from his bag. The obvious answer - it fell out. I've repeatedly reminded him to adjust his shoulder straps because they're tilted in the wrong direction and the clubs slide out. He quickly darts back to go look for it. No biggie - I sit down, pull out a cig, chat with a single we got paired up with, etc... 10 minutes later, he's running back "I GOT IT! Some guy picked it up 5 holes back and held on to it!" Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Fast forward a week later (yesterday). Matt and I decide to play the Mosholu golf course (with another friend of ours - Conor). The day is beautiful. You know what that means...YUP! An Apple store grand opening at every tee. Whatever - hard to justify not playing golf in 75 degree sunny weather no matter how long you wait to play your shot. The round took about 5 hours and we were exhausted. Went to a nice Irish pub/restaurant in Yonkers to grab dinner. Matt was going to drop us off at our respective homes and call it a night.

"RING RING!" Turns out Matt's family needed help unloading some stuff from a shopping trip. Turns to us and says "Sorry guys, can I drop you off at the A train on 207?"

"Sure" we say. Much better than the 1 train for us.

Half way there, my other friend Conor remembers that the A train is out of service and that we'd either need to take a shuttle bus or just simply take the 1 train.

1 train it is.

So Matt drops us off at the 231st street 1 train station (it was 1030 PM at this point - well after our round had ended). Conor and I are waiting for the train, talking about the Yankees, global warming, and the upcoming election when a guy comes up behind us and says "Were you guys playing at Mosholu today?"

"Yeah" says us.

"Did your friend drop a club?" says he.

"I don't know...I don't think so - he didn't say anything" says me.

This blew me away - "Were you and the other guy (Matt) playing Van Cortlandt last week? Because I picked up the exact same club and handed it back to your friend after the 14th hole."

WTF are the odds of the same guy picking up the same club off of the same friend at two different golf courses on two different days and bumping into us at a train station not really near the golf course hours after a round had ended? I'd say a hole in one is more likely. (Don't forget the fact that we were about to get driven home...and then we were supposed to take the A train instead...and then realized it was out of service so we finally decided on the 1 train)

Anyway, even though it wasn't my club - It made me feel better - that perhaps there is some benevolent force that controls the golf world for the better. I'll think twice before cursing the golf gods next time a birdie putt lips out.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

That is amazing. I would have ran to the nearest place to buy a lottery ticket.

DAMN! Wish I had thought of that.

Also - I forgot to mention (though I'm sure you all inferred) that he dropped his SW the 2nd time as well. Also - the clubhouse was closed, so the guy had to hold on to it and bring it home. Edit - The guy (his name was Diego) was as amazed as we were at the improbability of the situation.

In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

That is freaky, but the coolest thing ever, That guy who found your buddies club is not human.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5Β°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15Β°
5 Wood: r7 19Β° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60Β°Wedge: Z TP 54Β°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

That is freaky, but the coolest thing ever, That guy who found your buddies club is not human.

Would you say he's "iron man?" Sorry, corny joke. That is a great story, though. Peter, Matt is a candidate for an Ogio bag. It locks your clubs and there is zero chance of them falling out.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

Would you say he's "iron man?" Sorry, corny joke.

LOL, I'll mention it - though I doubt he'd go for one. I'm convinced he wants his clubs to slide out. I'll never know why.

Peter, Matt is a candidate for an Ogio bag. It locks your clubs and there is zero chance of them falling out.

Is this only true for the cart bags, where there is an individual slot for each club? or is this true for all Ogio bags?

Great story, reminds me of the movie "serendipity" lol, took place in NYC too!

Driver: Big Bertha 460 10*
Fairway: X Tour 3W 15* w/ Fujikura TP 26.3g
Hybrids: Fusion FT-Hybrid 3H 20*
Irons: MP-32 3i-PW
Wedges: Vokey 52.08 | SM56.14 | SM60.04Putter: Red X 33"Ball: Pro V1xShoes: Air Zoom Elite

The golf gods smile upon him.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Is this only true for the cart bags, where there is an individual slot for each club? or is this true for all Ogio bags?

Although this story certainly has elements of serendipity, it aint no love story...though it made me love the game that much more (if possible)

No, numerous companies make 14 slot bags: Nike, Ogio, Lynx, Taylormade. Some folks think it's kind of nerdy to have. I think they're great. Minimal chance of grabbing the wrong club.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

Oh and one more tidbit - HE GOT OFF AT THE SAME STOP AS US!! I'm not even kidding.

Thats shocking!

I agree; more chance of a hole in one!
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Oh and one more tidbit - HE GOT OFF AT THE SAME STOP AS US!! I'm not even kidding.

Now, I think you have a golf stalker. Check your phone lines.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

Now, I think you have a golf stalker. Check your phone lines.

HAH - I've considered that...he did exit the subway on the other end tho...

buy that guy a beer....chances are you'll see him soon, lol

cool story. when i get randomly paired at my club, i don't think i have played with the same guy twice.

amazing, considering it was a different course!

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

buy that guy a beer....chances are you'll see him soon, lol

Here's another funny story...Matt (and I'm serious on this one too) has been paired with the same guy twice once. It was none other than John Starks, lol (Matt could care less about basketball and had no idea who he was until I explained it to him).

Cool stories! Does more crazy stuff happen to you outside of golf, or is it just in golf?
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

Note:Β This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!