IGNORED

Adding Hybrids and now totally confused. Any help?

Note: This thread is 5794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First post for help. Appreciate any input. I have used the search function here, (helpful) and done some research. Research = too much info = mass confusion.

Play Taylormade gear and happy with brand and results. However, so many hybrid models out there and don't want to leave a big 'hole' in my bag of clubs.

Currently have R7 driver and R7 5W. Taylor RAC OS2 irons, 4-SW. 5W is getting increasingly more difficult to get desired results from fairway or rough.

Taylormade Hybrids? I don't even hit the 4-iron much at all anymore either. Would I benefit from one 'go-to' hybrid or do I need two? Maybe an 18* and/or a 22*?

My normal ball flight is medium height and usually R to L a bit. The longer the irons and fairway woods get, the lower and more left they go. I'm hoping the hybrids will promote straighter, higher flight.

Confusion: Which MODEL and LOFT of the TM hybrid should I consider? So many models is leading to mass confusion. Higher/Straighter and not leaving too big a hole in my bad is the goal.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights. Much appreciated.

dave s

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're having trouble with the 5W and hit your long irons well, try a 2 hybrid. It should have loft similar to your 5W. Try as many models as you can and get the one that you hit best. Then if you want to replace the long irons too, go for it.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

I would recommend that you replace your 5w with a 15* 3 wood, and a 19* hybrid. This would keep you from having a distance gap. I highly recommend the Burner woods and hybrids. I have a Burner 3 wood and it is amazing. They also make a 19* that would fit the gap that you want. Also, in mid-July they are coming out with some newer Burner models that seem pretty cool, so if they seem interesting to you you could wait for them to come out, or you could buy some recently discounted '07 Burners. They will all work well for you I believe.
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

You said you have a problem getting a higher ball flight. Try and find a shaft/clubhead combo that gives you optimal results. One recommendation is the Taylormade Rescue TP with a low kick point shaft. A 22* will give about 190-200 yards of distance. Is that enough or are you looking for more?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

You said you have a problem getting a higher ball flight. Try and find a shaft/clubhead combo that gives you optimal results. One recommendation is the Taylormade Rescue TP with a low kick point shaft. A 22* will give about 190-200 yards of distance. Is that enough or are you looking for more?

The 22* should be plenty of distance. And thanks for the tip. All current clubs have the RE AX 65 shafts which seem to get the ball up well. The only clubs that don't fly well for me are 5 and 4 irons and the 5-wood. Driver works extremely well with high launch and good carry. I'll check out the Rescue TP. Thanks again. dave

Ping G30 driver
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

• 2 weeks later...
Update:

Purchased a 2007 (new) Taylormade Burner #3 hybrid. All I can say is WOW, why did I wait so long to buy one!

My golf league course (public) has free balls on the range. I hit 15-20 balls with this club prior to playing Tuesday night. All 15-20 balls launched medium to high with little to NO left or right action ... and I was hitting directly into the wind!

Swings just like a 5-iron and length was around 175-185, best I could tell. Hit it three times during the round. On both par-5s, and on the 400 yard uphill par four that always plays into the wind. Lined it up and threaded it onto the approach apron to the green which is about 10 yards wide at most.

Impressive!

I'll ditch my R7 5-wood, (which seems to have a mind of its own) and probably add a lob wedge to the mix.

Thanks for the help guys. Sand Trap definitely pushed me over the edge!

dave

Ping G30 driver
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

How do you know the distance that the club will give him?!

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

the guys a 20 handicap. A tp probably might not be the way to go. but he's bought em anyway.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

the guys a 20 handicap. A tp probably might not be the way to go. but he's bought em anyway.

Honestly, I'm probably not that bad, (20) and can usually break 90 on most local public courses. Tough ones I'll shoot 92. Have shot a sub 85 rounds at Firestone's North Course on occasion as well. So I'm not a complete hack! Anyway, I'm really impressed with the playability of the Burner Hybrid. Easy swings produce long, high-flying shots. My goal was to get a club that moves my game along on par 5s (long par-4s secondarily) to get into the 80-100 yard range to setup par or perhaps birdie. So a 225 yard drive and a 180 yard hybrid, that'll setup an approach on most par 5s that play 480-510. Longer, I hit wedge/9 or 8 irons which is the strength of my game. Hope the honeymoon doesn't wear off with this club. It appears to be a 'keeper' right off the bat. dave

Ping G30 driver
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

dave i'm not trying to have a go at your ability, sorry if you thought i was. i was trying to say that the 'TP' hybrids are more targeted at better players and are more workable i.e. less forgiving. so i was trying to say a normal burner would probably be best. however the best way to check is to hit it and see what you think

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!