IGNORED

Stanford St. Jude Championship Discussion

Thrash13
Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't see a topic for this week's PGA Tour event, but now we have one.

I'm always following the leaderboards each week, and while the action is real early, Davis Love III is in the lead at -3. He has started fast before this season before faltering down the stretch. It would be nice to see him hang around the top of the leaderboard this week.

Also, Sergio is at -2 early on. And Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey is also in the mix.

Anyway, the field for this event is pretty strong with the U.S. Open next week, and it will be interesting to see who rolls into Torrey Pines on a hot streak.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where's Stricks???. Hope to see him back and playing well soon.
Looks like a great field indeed.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Good to see Davis up there, I was rather surprised to see him in the field this week. Not that I'm surprised.....but Duval +4 thru 3 holes. 1 bogey and 1 triple. Ouch.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I'm always following the leaderboards each week, and while the action is real early, Davis Love III is in the lead at -3. He has started fast before this season before faltering down the stretch. It would be nice to see him hang around the top of the leaderboard this week.

Same here. I always "watch" the tournaments on and off Thursday and Friday via pgatour.com. You are right about Davis but was nice to see him actually finish one off this time. Now if he can only string together 4 rounds...

Also, Sergio is at -2 early on

That 68, considering how it appeared he was hitting it, was probably the worst he could have done today. Again, I'm only following the play by play but it seemed he was long and in the fairway with his driver and pinpoint with his irons all day and, as usual, made very little.

Where's Stricks???. Hope to see him back and playing well soon.

Yeah I think Stricker is injured. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I read something about him having some sort of injury. Hopefully he can bounce back.

but Duval +4 thru 3 holes. 1 bogey and 1 triple. Ouch.

Pretty standard scorecard for DD these days. He doesn't even get off to decent starts anymore (by starts I mean the first 6 or 7 holes...).

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

pgatour.com's live scoring must have screwed up and put DD down for a triple bogey 7 on hole 12 (his 3rd) and corrected to a double. So he's just at +3 now....not that it's a huge difference.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

pgatour.com's live scoring must have screwed up and put DD down for a triple bogey 7 on hole 12 (his 3rd) and corrected to a double. So he's just at +3 now....not that it's a huge difference.

Give him time. He'll get that shot back But yeah, I saw that too.

It's all about BOO baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver: Hi-Bore XL 8.5* X-Stiff

3 Wood: ORLIMAR VT830 15* Stiff

Irons: RPM Undercut OS 4-GW Sand Wedge: CG 10 54*Lob Wedge: 588 60*Putter: White Steel 2-Ball CS Ball: NXTBag: IDEA Stand Bag

I think Boo's going to get it done again. He seems to be a good front runner. Maybe he does not think much at all and so he does not get in the way of himself.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

It's great to see a fellow Aussie Gavin Coles on top of the leaderboard. it's an even better effort when you know that he hits it about as far as Corey Pavin does.

Current 2008 Driving Distance
Gavin Coles 262.7 194th
Corey Pavin 262.5 195th

Harrington shoots 66, birdies last 3 holes, leaves him 3 shots back. That won't be far off the mark this evening!

Come on Padraig!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Harrington shoots 66, birdies last 3 holes, leaves him 3 shots back. That won't be far off the mark this evening!

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Harrington ends up winning this week or next week. He has the game to win on tough golf courses. He isn't afraid to make bogeys because he can bounce right back with a couple birdies.

It's also nice to see Trevor Immelman playing well. He has struggled badly since winning The Masters, but he is in the top five or ten right now.

It's also nice to see Trevor Immelman playing well. He has struggled badly since winning The Masters, but he is in the top five or ten right now.

After Saturday's round Immelman is in second place only two shots behind the leader, and his stats look good (T1 in birdies, 1.7 putts per GIR, T11th in GIR, driving distance ~300 yrds, and 71% driving accuracy in his 3rd round). I'd say his chances are very good on Sunday.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Anyone know what iron Allenby used on the first hole of the playoff? It carried about 265-270 and rolled another ten yards. Announcers did not mention and his bag does not list a 2I. If it were a 3I, all I have to say is, WOW!

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Anyone know what iron Allenby used on the first hole of the playoff? It carried about 265-270 and rolled another ten yards. Announcers did not mention and his bag does not list a 2I. If it were a 3I, all I have to say is, WOW!

I don't know if he had a 2-iron in his bag this week, but in the past he has carried one. From what I make of his transcript from today he did hit a 3-iron in the playoff:

http://www.pgatour.com/2008/tourname...ran/index.html Acoording to an article from last month he is using Srixon Forged I701 Tour irons that were specially made (built) different just for him. http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/robe...nby/index.html

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Congrats to Justin Leonard on the win! I've always been a fan, and it's nice to see him playing good golf this season. If he can get a little roll, he should be in the hunt next week at Torrey Pines.

This tournament was a pretty good one. On a tough course, the cream always seems to rise to the top. Sergio, Harrington, Allenby, Immelman, Leonard, etc. were all near the top of the leaderboard. The big guns definitely came to play on the final day, and it made for a solid event.

I don't know if he had a 2-iron in his bag this week, but in the past he has carried one. From what I make of his transcript from today he did hit a 3-iron in the playoff:

Avid

Thanks very much for the links. Interesting read on his irons as it seems even the smallest details provide the players with an edge. I still can't get over him carrying a 3I over 270 yards.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Whatever it was it was one helluva iron!!!!!!

Driver: Hi-Bore XL 8.5* X-Stiff

3 Wood: ORLIMAR VT830 15* Stiff

Irons: RPM Undercut OS 4-GW Sand Wedge: CG 10 54*Lob Wedge: 588 60*Putter: White Steel 2-Ball CS Ball: NXTBag: IDEA Stand Bag

Agreed. It was quite entertaining, especially considering we're talking the week before the US Open. Cream does rise, most of em just kept rising and rising as the day went. What I found quite entertaining was that there were sooooo many people in the hunt, with some of them finishing early and some of them in late groups. So we had Sergio and Allenby finishing up way ahead and with the course conditions the way they were it was fun to see if they would hold up. Heck, before Allenby posted -4 I thought there was an outside change Sergio would get into a playoff.

Whatever it was it was one helluva iron!!!!!!

No kidding. Saw him pull an iron and I'm thinking ' this is a 450 something yard hole what the heck is he doing'. That's why these guys are good... He turned that thing over and got it way out there.

Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!