IGNORED

Rules Officials and Slow Play on the PGA Tour

iacas
Note: This thread is 5810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
As I may have mentioned , Matt Goggin hit his ball into a yellow marked water hazard and started to take two clublengths before his caddie stopped him and they called for a rules official.

In the interest of slightly speeding up play, I think PGA Tour players (or their caddies at least) should know the fairly simple rules. I say the PGA Tour gives each player five rulings per year, or maybe one for every five events the guy plays, no more. Guys will have to learn the basic rules and will thus only call for rulings in the truly bizarre situations.

If they mess up a rule and get DQed or have to add strokes before signing their card, so be it. They'll learn (or rather more likely, they'll make their caddie learn) the rules.

OR

The PGA Tour could actually enforce their slow-play policy, and let it be known simultaneously that calling for a rules official is not justification for falling behind. It'd make the guys think twice about calling for a rules official for an easy, clear-cut ruling.

What do you think? What would you do to make players actually police themselves? For all the lip service we give to "golf is a game of honor," these guys don't actually know the rules. They just cover their behinds by calling a rules official in even the slightest of weird situations.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you should pass a rules test at Q-school.

If you don't know your options on yellow stakes...

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I agree with you. Make them or their caddies learn the rules. I can understand asking for a ruling but it should only be in those situations where something extraordinary happened.

These guys make too much $$ to not have someone either on their bag or in their entourage to keep them in check. The PGA officials are not babysitters or coaches.

How does a guy get good enough to be on the tour and not know the rules? I mean he must have, at some point in his life, played sans caddy or PGA official. I would he/she would have learned SOMETHING before he/she bacame the touring player.

Andrew

I like the idea of a rules inquiry every X events they play in, and they can get the request back if they can show after the round it was truly exceptional. I don't like the Y many per year, because I like the idea of advantages for players who play more often.

As for them having to risk a DQ or higher stroke count... I'm totally fine with it. Let them learn the rules. Rules knowledge should also help the caddies be better caddies, since there are rules that are there to help, too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think there should be a rules official with each group. The punishment is too severe for any mistakes re: the rules. You don't see any other pro sport let the players decide such issues, they have umps and refs. I would speed play over having to "find" an official when it arises.

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

• Administrator
I think there should be a rules official with each group. The punishment is too severe for any mistakes re: the rules. You don't see any other pro sport let the players decide such issues, they have umps and refs. I would speed play over having to "find" an official when it arises.

Or, again, players could know the rules for themselves. Why should tournaments pay 50 rules officials when that money could go to charity and, again,

the players are responsible for knowing the rules . Additionally, one of the first things you read in the Rules book is this passage:

Source: Just about Page One in the Rules of Golf The Spirit of the Game Golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think you only need 18 rules officials - one per hole to implement my suggestion. I think most players know the rules to a high level, but there on occasion arises some strange twist or concentrated consideration. Currently they "find" an official. My way there is one handy. Even this forum there is often heated discussion about rules interpretation. Also the USGA site has "decisions" which clarify the rules. So for a tournament where millions of dollars are at stake and which already cost real money to run and administer, the addition of some rules officials is not burdensome nor a violation of the spirit of my game. In my humble opinion.

• Administrator
I think you only need 18 rules officials - one per hole to implement my suggestion.

You do realize they'll be out there for 10+ hours, right?

Simply put, I go back to what I quoted from the Rules of Golf above: that "Golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire." A player not knowing the rules for a water hazard? Disgusting.
Even this forum there is often heated discussion about rules interpretation.

I've yet to see a heated rules discussion. Some people think things aren't "fair," but I've yet to see a rules discussion where the rule itself isn't pretty clear.

Guess we'll have to disagree on the "spirit" of the game bit, though again, my point of view is supported in writing by the USGA. I don't see the amount of money they're playing for as being of any consequence. The Rules of Golf don't care about the importance of the golf being played.

You do realize they'll be out there for 10+ hours, right?

I am not up on how many foursomes they send out, but obviously the person officiating hole 1 goes home after the last group is done and the 18th hole people don't show up until 4 hours after the first group tee time. My suggestion is sort of like having marshals on each hole. But I suspect they do get rotated out or work shifts during a long day. So a good point.

The actual flaw in my system is that the "best" players would still expect the "best" rules official to make the call, just as they get now. The person that is called is always the head rules official for the USGA or PGA or some other governing body. So the current system actually works pretty well, most often the players do make their own calls, except for some of the trickier points.

• Administrator
So the current system actually works pretty well, most often the players do make their own calls, except for some of the trickier points.

Yeah, except the tricky ones. You know, like what to do when you hit your ball into water hazards.

I think I heard a stat along the lines of "rules officials are called on for about 23 rulings per day" Thu/Fri and 15 on Sat/Sun. I'm not sure if that's players specifically calling for rulings or just officials radio-ing back and forth about something they observer or what, but anything above roughly two is too many.

Yeah, except the tricky ones. You know, like what to do when you hit your ball into water hazards.

Although this player shouldnt have needed a ruling on a yellow stake, adding a limit will never happen on the PGA tour because the players would be stupid to put themselves in a position where one day they could lose hundreds of thousands of dollars or more because they cannot call a rules official, and their interpretation of the rules does not match the commitees.

In My Bag:
905T 9.5* w/Graffalloy Blue - D8
Maltby Trouble Out 13* 3+-Wood w/ Aldila NV - D4
HALO 1 Hybrid w/S400 Steel - D4
Maltby M-05 Forged 3-PW w/ Rifle 6.5 - D4 Vokey Oil Can 52* 56* 588 RTG DSG Bioniks Rl 209 Putter (400 grams) E5+

If I can keep a rule book in my bag what is keeping a pro from it? I can't tell you how many times I pull it our to prove a rule. Hell I remember playing in Jr. Amateur's way back when and the gave every player a rule book!
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

In the interest of slightly speeding up play, I think PGA Tour players (or their caddies at least) should know the fairly simple rules. I say the PGA Tour gives each player five rulings per year, or maybe one for every five events the guy plays, no more. Guys will have to learn the basic rules and will thus only call for rulings in the truly bizarre situations.

I think they should do both. Enforce the slow-play policy as well as force them to learn the rules for themselves. How many years has it been since a player was actually penalized for slow play?

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

The reason they call officials so often?

Being DQ'd for signing a wrong score card. This may be straying off topic a bit, but this rule is way too harsh. If you are fighting to stay in the top 125 and a DQ blows all your earnings for the week, you'd call over a rules official too.
"I say pick it up a******. Put it in your pocket. You're lucky you found it. Go the **** home will ya?"

--George Carlin

I agree with a lot in this thread, a lot with what Iacas has said. But one thing about golf is that not everything is cut and dry with the rules, there is a lot of interperetation. Also for the PGA Tour, these guys get DQd for a wrong card. Lose tons of money. Have viewers calling in that are watching TV about rules and whatever.

Should they know the basic rules, of course they should. Do they, I would be they do. But a player fighting for the win, maybe, and im speculating all of this post, maybe these guys say, hey just get a rules guy to make sure im dropping in the right spot. Because we the players are estimating (where it crossed the hazard line or whatever) and the last thing i need is some dope calling from TV land saying i dropped 10 yards too far or something.

Which leads me into my thought that calls from TV viewers about the rules should not be allowed. Esp if you go by the rule book that Iacas quoted already about the game being played and ruled on by the players.

• Administrator
Being DQ'd for signing a wrong score card. This may be straying off topic a bit, but this rule is way too harsh. If you are fighting to stay in the top 125 and a DQ blows all your earnings for the week, you'd call over a rules official too.

Simple solution: know the rules. It was a YELLOW-MARKED WATER HAZARD. This wasn't some complex, convoluted rules question: it was a simple freakin' water hazard.

Pros call for rulings ALL THE TIME when they don't need to, for SIMPLE rules. Heck, if you get DQed for messing up a simple rule, GOOD. You'll probably know the rules the next time won'tcha?
Have viewers calling in that are watching TV about rules and whatever.

Be fair: when's the last time you heard of that happening? Used to happen all the time. Now it does not - or you don't hear about it, anyway.

Should they know the basic rules, of course they should. Do they, I would be they do.

Yeah, the basics, like how to proceed when you hit into a water hazard...

I admit, I'm a bit of a rules geek. I think if you're not playing by the rules, you're not playing golf. I think it's incumbent upon every player to KNOW the rules and to play by them. And in the end, I guess I have higher standards for PGA Tour players than some of y'all do.

Maybe if they didn't get DQ as soon as they did something wrong, or have TV viewers phone up and complain, they wouldn't have to worry about dropping the ball 1 inch off where they are supposed to?
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

the thing about this is, you have people calling in and reporting the most minor, insignificant rule breaches that they see on TV. You have huge galleries with a bunch of hawkeyes watching exactly what these guys are doing. And they are playing for literally millions of dollars. If I were on the PGA tour, I would call over rules officials for almost anything. The only way to ensure you don't get DQed out of a million dollars is to call over an official and take a few extra minutes. I honestly think the solution to this problem is to relax the rules a bit. If guys aren't intending to cheat and are doing their best, if they dropped the ball 1 quarter inch closer or did something else completely unintentional, just let it go. But I don't know of one golfing organization in existence that isn't going to DQ anyone really fast for a rules breach.

Note: This thread is 5810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!