IGNORED

Us Open Picks

hoofreak7
Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't really bet for money much, so this is just for fun.
2 Competitons: First- pick five players, most top tens wins (tiebreak: winner/score) Second- pick 5 players outside of the top ten world rankings- 1pt made cut, 2pts top 25, 3pts top ten, 5pts top 5...most pts wins (tiebreak: winner/ score...can be inside top ten ranking)
My Picks
1) Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Boo Weekley, Justin Rose (Phil Mickelson/-2)
2) Boo Weekley, Padraig Harrington, Stephen Ames, Lee Westwood, Anthony Kim (Tiger Woods/-2)
WGR Top Ten- Woods, Mickelson, Scott, Els, Oglivy, Rose, Garcia, Stricker, Singh, Furyk

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

1) TW, PM, G. Olgilvey, Serg, KJ Choi

2) Too lazy to look up top 10

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

1. Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, Boo Weekley, Geoff Ogilvy, Brandt Snedeker (Mickelson, -4)

2. Boo Weekley, Padraig Harrington, Stewart Cink, Retief Goosen, KJ Choi (Stricker, -1)
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Sergio Garcia - Playing well, putting well.

Stephen Ames - playing well, has the game to get it done.

Phil Mickelson - Going out on a limb here but im picking him to finish better than Tiger.

Geoff Olgivy - Always solid in big tourneys

Dark Horse-

Mike Weir - (T2 last start, typically does well at majors)

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I like Ogilvy to win . . . has the game and the guts to get it done
Brandt Snedeker . . . just missed at the Masters
Justin Leonard . . . straight hitter with great short game, he's hot right now
Shaun O'Hair . . . very steady great young talent
Hunter Mahan . . . time to break out

Tiger will have problems putting as the days progress. Phil has never won and there's reasons for that. Scott isn't good enough with the flat stick, neither is Sergio.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Phill wins it at -5

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Some thoughts.

Players I Like:

Tiger Woods - Long layoff, knee surgery but hard to not like the guys chances. Especially at Torrey Pines. Perhaps the only thing the layoff has done is close the talent gap at the top, at least temporarily.
Phil Mickelson - He's healthy, playing pretty well, has had local success here and perhaps he's licking his chops with Woods possibly a little rusty.
Jim Furyk - It's the US Open. Nuff said.
Geoff Ogilvy - Obviously he can win on a US Open setup, has the mental makeup and is playing well since his early year slumps.
Padraig Harrington - Answered any doubt about the state of his game with a nice finish at the St. Jude. Love his mental makeup for a US Open.
Stephen Ames - He's playing very well right now and seems to show up in majors, especially when the conditions are difficult.
Stewart Cink - A great player, having an even better year. Solid chance you'll see his name in the top 10 on Sunday. Maybe one of these days he'll win?
Justin Leonard - Coming off a win, hits it in the fairway and has a very good short game. I don't think he'll win but I like a solid top 25.
Luke Donald - Started the season hot and has finally showed signs of rounding back into form at the Memorial. I like his game for the US Open and I think the Donald/Poulter/Casey pairing will help him ease into the tournament.
Ian Poulter - See pairing above. Hasn't missed a cut all year and seems to have had moderate success in majors. His driver and head will prevent him from contending but I see a solid finish.
Paul Casey - Probably has no business being on this list but something about the US Open and Masters bring out his best. Fantasy leaguers with daily moves will probably want him benched on Sunday, especially if he's in the hunt. May even want him benched on Thursday.
Justin Rose - The only thing that may prevent him from contending is his back. He has the ability to grind away and stay in major championships even when he's not hitting it well. I expect a high finish.
Mike Weir - T2 at Memorial and he tends to play well in majors, especially the US Open (last five finishes, T20, T6, T42, T4 and T3).
Anthony Kim - Has come down since his win but he still has the game to play well here. He just needs to keep his head on straight....
Tim Clark - I'm skeptical putting him here after his Sunday meltdown but he does well on hard, fast, difficult golf courses and has played well recently. I haven't checked the weather yet but if it rains then forget it.

Notable Players I don't Like

Adam Scott - His finger injury coupled with the Thursday/Friday circus he'll be apart of and it might just be a quiet 2 days and out for Scott.
Vijay Singh - It pains me to put him here. I like him a lot but I just don't see him contending in a US Open right now. His putter and suspect decision making has come into question.
Sergio Garcia - Probably deserves to be on the top list but if there's one course where putting is at a premium it's here and I'm still not sold.
KJ Choi - After a strong start he has struggled. Last 4 starts, T53, MC, MC, 41st.
Steve Stricker - Only if this were 2007. He's missed 4 straight cuts and I hear is battling injuries.
David Toms - You never know when the back will cause him problems and he's not rolling it nearly as well on the greens as we have come to expect from him.
Ernie Els - Wins the Honda and then falls off the map (switching coaches in the middle of it). I'd be surprised if he makes the cut.
Angel Cabrera - Not this year. Has gone back into witness protection since his win, which he's probably fine with.
Robert Allenby - He's playing very well, obviously, and probably shouldn't be on this list. However he just doesn't strike me as a good major championship player and did miss all 4 cuts in majors last year.
Stuart Appleby - One top 10 in 11 US Open starts
Retief Goosen - Geez, I wanted to put him in the top group but he's played too poorly for too long now. Old Retief made a brief showing at Doral and that's about it. Also, he has missed his last two cuts at the US Open... hmm, since his Sunday 81 collapse while playing with Jason Gore...
Colin Montgomerie - Winged Foot was his last chance
Rory Sabbatini - Rory's comments are so much more entertaining when he's playing well. Right now he's not.
Zach Johnson - Something seems off with the Masters champ of a year ago. Having some struggles with the putter which is not a good thing going into a US Open
Trevor Immelman - He played very well last week... does this mean he's going to take another few months off? Many will say the opposite but I don't buy it. Not like he was playing well pre-Masters. Of course I didn't pick him to play well at Augusta

My top 10:

Phil Mickelson
Justin Rose
Jim Furyk
Luke Donald
Mike Weir
Stewart Cink
Padraig Harrington
Geoff Ogilvy
Tiger Woods
Stephen Ames

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

My dark horse: Robert Allenby

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

This is one of the easiest picks a golf fan will have to make. Phil Mickelson and -2 is the number. I expect Vijay Singh to play well this year and if I have to pick someone else to play well it is KJ Choi, I look for tough mental guys at the open.

K.J Choi was my Masters choice......OOPS!!!!!

I like Jim Furyk this week...and I'd be very surprised if under par wins the Open.

Driver: Hi-Bore XL 8.5* X-Stiff

3 Wood: ORLIMAR VT830 15* Stiff

Irons: RPM Undercut OS 4-GW Sand Wedge: CG 10 54*Lob Wedge: 588 60*Putter: White Steel 2-Ball CS Ball: NXTBag: IDEA Stand Bag

Why would you be surprised that under par wins the Open? The two-cut rough will be more forgiving than thought.

I have Tiger at -10. US Open or Buick Invitational or not... it's still the same course.

[EDITED to remove error re: practice round score.]
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

Any player with pretty good lenth but with the patience let things come to him will most likley win the tourament, who that might be i dont know. But i do have a feeling that just "talent" alone wont be enough to win this US Open.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Tiger shot a 67 in practice rounds - the two-cut rough will be more forgiving than thought.

1) when did he shoot a 67

2) i would take him at -10 if not for his knee (the fact that he'll be rusty......we all know what happened last time when he took time off and tried to return to a US open)

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

1) when did he shoot a 67

Sorry, he didn't shoot 67. It was a poor layout on a sports article. It was Michelle Wie who shot 67 and 70 on another tournament, and this was right below the article. I fail at reading comprehension.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!