IGNORED

Thrash Talk: Young American Stars

Thrash13
Note: This thread is 6756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which young American will step up and challenge Sergio, Adam Scott, and Luke Donald?

• Charles Howell III
    • Sean O'Hair
    • Ryan Moore
    • Other (list golfer is so)

This week's Thrash Talk is focused around the young American stars....or lack thereof.

There isn't any young Americans challenging Adam Scott, Sergio Garcia, and Luke Donald. That makes it tougher to watch for me. I'm always wondering who will be the next great golfer, and the Americans haven't had one since Tiger. And believe it or not, Tiger is a veteran now. He is almost 30 years old and is far from being a rookie.

Here are a few questions to get you started.

1. Does it bother you that there aren't any young Americans in the top-20 or top-30 in the world to challenge Sergio, Adam Scott, and Luke Donald?

2. Who will be the next great young American star?

Thanks and be sure to read Thrash Talk in the morning.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Does it bother you that there aren't any young Americans in the top-20 or top-30 in the world to challenge Sergio, Adam Scott, and Luke Donald?

We have plenty of young American stars: Paula Creamer, Morgan Pressel, Natalie Gulbis, Brittany Lang, and Michelle Wie. How many more do you want?

Probably Paula Creamer, but how can you count Michelle Wie out?

LPGA baby! Don't forget about these women. They're more exciting than Sean O'Hair, Charles (underachieving) Howell, and the other guy you mentioned. Why? Because they actually are challenging now. (Sean O'Hair aside - I'll give him his due props)
R7 Quad 9.5*
Cleveland Launcher 13*
Cleveland Launcher 15*
Ben Hogan C455 21*
MP-33 PW-4 iron MP Series 56* & 60*Corza MonzaProV1

• Administrator

No. What's Luke Donald done? Or Sergio or Adam Scott, really? Barely more than what some of our "young guys" have done, I think. Is Sean O'Hair really that far behind? How about CHIII? Jason Bohn? Ben Crane? Chad Campbell? Vaughn Taylor? Zach Johnson?

That one has too many answers. And it really, really depends on how you define "young."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Being ranked in the top-10 in the world all year tells me Garcia and Scott are obviously a class above any of the young American stars. The rankings tell the tale as far as that goes.

Howell III, O'Hair, etc. aren't that far off right now, but they definitely aren't at the level those other three are. I don't think a Michelob Championship and John Deere Classic Championship can compete with a Sergio's multiple PGA Tour victories or Adam Scott's Players Championship victory.

The young Americans have shown signs of greatness, but they are definitely not on the level Garcia, Scott, and Luke Donald are. I hope they get there, but they need to become better overall golfers..

And even then, Garcia, Scott, and Donald may be even better.

• Administrator
I don't think a Michelob Championship and John Deere Classic Championship can compete with a Sergio's multiple PGA Tour victories or Adam Scott's Players Championship victory.

Neither of which happened this year. And what did Luke Donald do this year?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Neither of which happened this year. And what did Luke Donald do this year?

Besides a T2 at The Players Championship, a T3 at The Masters, and a T9 in the Match Play Championship, he didn't do too much. But I think I would take my chances with those three finishes. Oh yeah, a T6 at the WGC-NEC Invitational.

For being such a big proponent to the World Rankings, you sure are being difficult about this. You said the world rankings are great at the first of the year, and Sergio, Adam, and Luke are worlds ahead of Howell III, O'Hair, Bohn, etc. That should tell you right there they are in a different class. Last time I checked, being ranked in the top-10 in the world (Garcia and Scott) or right out of the top-10 (Donald) means that you are a pretty damn good golfer. I don't think I really need to argue this anymore. The three non-American players are easily better right now. I'm not saying I don't want Howell III or O'Hair to change that next year. I would love to see CH3 vault into the top-10 in the world. I'm just saying it probably won't happen, and by this time next year, we will be talking about Scott, Garcia, or Donald as major championship winners. That's about all I have. You can't honestly tell me you think Howell, O'Hair, etc. are in the same class as Garcia, Scott, and Donald. I usually agree with your points, but I'm not budging on that one. And I don't think anyone would be either. :)

• Administrator
Besides a T2 at The Players Championship, a T3 at The Masters, and a T9 in the Match Play Championship, he didn't do too much. But I think I would take my chances with those three finishes. Oh yeah, a T6 at the WGC-NEC Invitational.

The guys on Tour measure themselves in wins, wouldn't you say? Luke had a winless year...

For being such a big proponent to the World Rankings, you sure are being difficult about this.

No, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Last time I checked, being ranked in the top-10 in the world (Garcia and Scott) or right out of the top-10 (Donald) means that you are a pretty damn good golfer.

No need to get so wound up dude. Chill out...

I'm just saying it probably won't happen, and by this time next year, we will be talking about Scott, Garcia, or Donald as major championship winners.

Well now that's something else entirely!

You can't honestly tell me you think Howell, O'Hair, etc. are in the same class as Garcia, Scott, and Donald.

I can't. I was just offering up some counter points, playing devil's advocate, and seeing how far I could run with it for the sake of the discussion.

Oh, that wasn't even close to being wound up. :)

And I was hoping you were playing devil's advocate because I knew you were a big proponent of the World Rankings.

• Administrator
Oh, that wasn't even close to being wound up. :)

Not really a big proponent, I just understand how they work and can't think of a better system for ranking players. I understand how Tiger could still remain atop Vijay for so long, for example.

Jason Gore can beat those guys. He beat them all at the 84 Lumber and Beat them for all 3 rounds of the US Open. and some at the final round too.
What's in the Bag?
Driver:Nike NDS Ti with MFS 40+ Shaft.
3 wood and 5 wood: Tommy Armour 845 Hot Scott.
Irons (3-PW) Nicklaus IronMax JNS
Wedges: Vokey 200 Series 52 degrees. Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreesPutter: TaylorMade Rossa Modena 8.Ball: Ben Hogan The Hawk.

Jason Gore can beat those guys. He beat them all at the 84 Lumber and Beat them for all 3 rounds of the US Open. and some at the final round too.

Jason Gore is also 31, so he isn't exactly a young American.

Did anyone read trash talk this week, I love the fact that he mentioned James Lepp as a possible young american star, espically due to the fact he's Canadian,Also I love the way people are argueing that some of these people are in the same class as Sergio, Adam and Luke. When some young Americans step up and challenge in big tournaments,ie.Adam winning the players, Sergio's close calls in majors, Luke finishing T2 and T3 at the players and masters respectively, then we can put this arguement to rest. I'm sure some americans are going to burn me at the steak over this comment, but you gotta expect that from golf fans.

What's in the bag

Driver:Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Ft-3 Tour-Aldila Nvs
3-wood:Callway Big Bertha-Aldila nv shaft
Hybrid:Callway Heavenwood 2h and 3hIrons:Titleist 735 cm 4-pwWedges:Cleveland Cg10 54 and 60Putter:Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2Ball:Callaway Hx tour 56Bag:Ping J bag..Red...

• Administrator
Did anyone read trash talk this week, I love the fact that he mentioned James Lepp as a possible young american star, espically due to the fact he's Canadian,Also I love the way people are argueing that some of these people are in the same class as Sergio, Adam and Luke. When some young Americans step up and challenge in big tournaments,ie.Adam winning the players, Sergio's close calls in majors, Luke finishing T2 and T3 at the players and masters respectively, then we can put this arguement to rest. I'm sure some americans are going to burn me at the steak over this comment, but you gotta expect that from golf fans.

I doubt you'll get that kind of reaction here. But I could go for a steak right about now. If it were wrong to have a steak before lunchtime, $DEITY wouldn't have invented Steak and Eggs.

Note: This thread is 6756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!