IGNORED

Adding a LOB Wedge: Which loft?

Note: This thread is 5791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Confused (as usual) making a good choice on a lob wedge loft. Research on current RAC OS2 irons indicates:

PW - 45* full swing = 100-110y

SW - 55* full swing = 80-85y

Like many players, it's difficult for me to 'take something off' the sand wedge and get the distance right on 50-70 yard approach shots.

If I add a single lob wedge, what degree would best fill that 50-75 yard range in my game?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insight.

dave

ps: It must be Saturday morning here in NE Ohio ... steady, heavy drizzle!

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i recently added a lob wedge to my bag and i went with the 60 degree sonartec t35 and it works great on my courses fast sloping greens

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

I'd go 60*. You can't go wrong with any of the top brands.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Thanks gents. A 60* it is. If it stops RAINING today, the Cleveland wedges are on sale (Father's Day gift to myself!) and off to the range!

dave

Ping G30 driver
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Yeah. Cleveland makes real good wedges for a nice price!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

• Administrator
Like many players, it's difficult for me to 'take something off' the sand wedge and get the distance right on 50-70 yard approach shots.

Those aren't good players. You can add a lob wedge, but you're still (eventually) going to have to learn to take something off your various swings. I personally go about it by doing the Dave Pelz 3x4 system.

A lot of people don't use their lob wedge for full swings anyway. I can't remember the last full lob wedge I hit. It's my specialty club around the greens.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A lot of people don't use their lob wedge for full swings anyway. I can't remember the last full lob wedge I hit. It's my specialty club around the greens.

Exactly. I don't hit my lob wedge except around the green. I'd rather hit a choke down 1/2 54˚..

WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

You can't go wrong with the basic 60*...maybe a 58*.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

Exactly. I don't hit my lob wedge except around the green. I'd rather hit a choke down 1/2 54˚..

yea that is something ive started to pick up lately. Its too easy to chunk the 60 degree out of the fairway it seems.

Those aren't good players. You can add a lob wedge, but you're still (eventually) going to have to learn to take something off your various swings. I personally go about it by doing the Dave Pelz 3x4 system.

Yeah, hell, I don't even remember the last time I hit my 56* with a full swing.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

yea that is something ive started to pick up lately. Its too easy to chunk the 60 degree out of the fairway it seems.

And boy did I find THAT out today at the range. Hit maybe 50 balls with my new Cleveland 60* lob wedge. It wasn't pretty. The shots were 1/3 chunked, skulled or close to on target. Different animal.

Hope my local retailer will take back a 'gently used' Cleveland lob wedge. Right now, I'm really comfortable with my Taylor SW around the greens. Can't see keeping the Cleveland just to replace a club that already works for me. dave

Ping G30 driver
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 5791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!