IGNORED

Anybody else at thesandtrap a musician?

dave s
Note: This thread is 5444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If so, boy we've chosen TWO expensive hobbies to take up our time. Most musicians I know also choose golf as a 'next-in-line' hobby and enjoy the heck out it!

As a gigging guitarists, knowledge of guitar gear is much greater than that of golf equipment. Pretty much why I signed up here. To learn more about the game, equipment and approach to becoming a better player.

Now, if I can just get somebody to pay me to play GOLF, my life would be complete!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hesitate to call myself a "musician" as I rarely ever get a chance to jam anymore, but I do own guitars and amps and have been known to play them on occasion.

Not sure why I had to pick all the expensive hobbies. My budget is far more suited for tiddlywinks or something...but here I am. Hacker on the golf course and on the guitar.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

I've been playing guitar for 5 years.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I've been playing guitar for 5 years.

If you ever need any guitar gear buying decision help, let me know. I've bought, sold and played a large number of guitars, amps and pedals over the years! Glad to help if you ever need anything. dave
I hesitate to call myself a "musician" as I rarely ever get a chance to jam anymore, but I do own guitars and amps and have been known to play them on occasion.

Definitely understand the budget thing. Thank goodness people will still let me play in bands and give me opportunity to make money for showing up and playing and singing.

Weekend gig at a Lake Erie island coming up next weekend. That should pay off the lob wedge and Burner Hybrid I just bought! Gig money supports my addiction to golf! dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

i've been playing drums for 7 years, guitar for 3ish, piano for 2, harmonica for a little, trombone for 2.5. i also do some singing. i used to be in a band that would play some local bars, but we broke up.....yeah, i'm either practicing my instruments or golfing. i'm also drum major "in-training" for pep band, and 2nd snare drum for marching band

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I'm an avid progressive and neoclassical guitarist. I've been playing for about 8 years or so now, and still enjoy the heck out of it. As far as other hobbies, wakeboarding is definitely king. $50,000 boat to start out with, and then the gas to along with it everytime you want to ride. Add boating to the hobbie, and I suppose you can knock that kind of out of the price. Either way, all of my hobbies are way too expensive for a poor college student like me.
-Kevin
In the Nike Pro Tour Combo Bag:
907 D2 9.5*
906F2 18* 5W
585H 21* 3 Hybrid 735.CM 4-PW 51.06 MP-T & 56.13 MP-T White Hot #1

If you ever need any guitar gear buying decision help, let me know. I've bought, sold and played a large number of guitars, amps and pedals over the years! Glad to help if you ever need anything.

Thanks for your help, but I'm really not into guitar that much and am quitting lessons this year.

In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I thought a guitarist friend who owned many guitars had an expensive hobby - all those nice Martins, custom mades, Fenders, amps, effect pedals, etc...

Then I took up the piano again. You think guitars are expensive, try pianos. A decent Steinway can buy you two dozen nice guitars, easily. I could buy a really nice European car with my what I paid for my piano. Eventually, you entertain thoughts of getting an even bigger piano. Not in this economy. Also, you have to keep the humidifier on and a tune it consistently.

Wouldn't have it any other way though.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

completely off topic but how the hell did you reach 1900 posts Dent? didn't you get 1000 like only a few weeks ago? lol thats a lot of posts :O

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I'm primarily a drummer (29y): drumset, hand percussion, marching drums, etc. I also play bass (26y) and guitar (24y), and have been in a pile of bands over the years. My current gig is playing snare drum in a Scottish pipeband (bagpipes, etc). Lots of fun (and we played for the Walker Cup a few years back, for some golf tie-in).

completely off topic but how the hell did you reach 1900 posts Dent? didn't you get 1000 like only a few weeks ago? lol thats a lot of posts :O

lmfao I have no idea.. I think I spend too much time on here.

In My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing gutar for, goin' on 40 years, (since 8) with a 10 year break on the drums. Now that I'm an old married geezer dad I don't do the band thing much, just the ocassional jam. But as you say Dave, I find myself buying a lot guitars, amps, pedals and other assorted gear.
It's an addiction, just like golf!

"Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."
William Wordsworth

Gear:
Callaway FT-S Driver Nike VR Blades/wedges TM Ghøst Putter.

I have been gigging in bands for the last 10+ years. I play guitar. I have 3 guitars and a mandolin. I just got a new mesa boogie lonestar amp for a wedding present. Funny though I much more obsessive about my golf gear then my musical equipment. I try to keep my musical equipment as simple as possible. There is only one more guitar I need to get and then I should be done. I am getting married on Saturday and I have a feeling all my "fun" purchases are going to go bye-bye.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

"You think guitars are expensive, try pianos. A decent Steinway can buy you two dozen nice guitars, easily. I could buy a really nice European car with my what I paid for my piano."
I'll trade you one of my vintage Les Pauls for the Steinway as long as you throw in the Euro car as well.

"Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."
William Wordsworth

Gear:
Callaway FT-S Driver Nike VR Blades/wedges TM Ghøst Putter.

I played the Bugle in a marching band when I was a Kid.
My local Brass band was in a competition many years ago and the Baratone player was unable to make the show.Some bright spark put my name up for it. "its only a couple of notes,you will be fine " I was told.Anyway everything was going OK untill some idiot kept playing during the trumpet solo,

Never again!

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

"You think guitars are expensive, try pianos. A decent Steinway can buy you two dozen nice guitars, easily. I could buy a really nice European car with my what I paid for my piano."

I am a professional Opera singer, and the other day in a show, I knocked a prop drinking glass into the pit. Didn't touch a soul, thank god, but I got so much shit from the administration of the company, as "many of the instruments in the string section cost over 100k!" Oh brother . . .

Note: This thread is 5444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!