IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hi all,

my maxfli's are looking a bit damaged now, but they've served me well!
so im currently looking to buy some new irons (blades)

either...

cleveland gc1 (chrome)
titleist 695mb
mizuno mp-33

which would you say is best?

So I went to the shop yesterday and I started hitting the Mizuno MP-32 and the MX-25.
Blade vs. cavity back.
I'd never hit a blade before, and now I know what people mean when they say that they're unforgiving. All of my hits with the MP-32 seemed clean, but the ball would fade or draw slightly, and if I had used the same swing on the MX-25 it would be straight as an arrow. Very interesting. BUT... I did love the look of the blade at address, and I loved the feel of the swing and the contact with the ball. I'll be upgrading to blades as soon as my swing is ready for it.

Then the guy told me to try the Cleveland CG Golds, which I hadn't done research on, and were apparently cavity backs with inserts and they were in between a blade and a cavity back in terms of "forgiveness." I tried them and they felt beautiful. I hit about 20 balls with them and even though my mis-hits were fading or drawing slightly there wasn't much distance loss. Anyway I bought the set and I really like them so far, but I'm going to go to the range tonight to test 'em out.

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

So I went to the shop yesterday and I started hitting the Mizuno MP-32 and the MX-25.

The look at address, the feel of your swing, and the contact with the ball, these are what accomplished golfers looking for in blades.

Blades vs Cavity Back = Feel vs Forgiveness I can't believe you picked Cleveland over Mizuno. Just so you know, MX-25 is forged and CG Gold isn't. Plus, nothing feels like a Mizuno.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Apples vs. Oranges

While I am a Cleveland fan, these clubs don't belong in this discussion. Also, MX 25s are a game improvement cavity. The MP60, Titleist 695 CB are more indicative of this thread.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

The look at address, the feel of your swing, and the contact with the ball, these are what accomplished golfers looking for in blades.

Well, I swung on a mat and the feel was really nice for the Clevelands, and they were cheaper. I've had them at the grass range twice now and although they're still okay, they don't feel as good as on the mats. I think I'm going to see if I can return them and check out the MX-25's or the MP-60s but this time take a loaner set out. I guess I got a little excited :)

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

When would you all say you're "good enough" for blades. I by no means feel like I'm there, or even close, but it is something that interests me. I mean you can't just go by handicap index could you? You could have a great short game, which takes away strokes, but your iron play may not be top notch. Would you go by how accuratly far you hit cavity's/in comination with handicap?
Edit: What are some nice set of blades? What are some of the mid range priced blades?
I know that I'm not good enough to hit blades on the course, but what about someone buying used blades, and hitting them at the range, and then playing cavitys. From what i've gathered, hitting blades will give you more feedback ,so it'd be perfect to use at the range until you improve. Im considering buying some used blades, I really dont care about the condition to much if there not to e xpensive. Could i get some for 200? Say 5-7 years old?

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

I think the feedback issue is really key. I don't think there is a magic number for a handicapp cutoff to use blades. I think if you are good enough to make adjustments in your swing when you mishit, then blades might be a good option. If not, you might get frustrated. Honestly, I hit my Cleveland TA1 blades better than any club I've ever hit. I bought mine used off Ebay for $250. When playing muscle backs, you have to pay attention to impact and follow through the hitting zone smoother with blades.

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

hi all,

I'm a 4 handicap and am debating whether it's even worth trying blades. And you're a 17 and are dead set on them....??? Maybe you should try to work on getting a mroe consistent swing and maybe break 85 once in a while before buying the least forgiving irons on the market?

Driver: 905R w V2 stiff 76
FW: NVG2 Fujikura stiff
Hybrids: Idea Pro 20* Aldila VS Proto
Irons: M685 3-PW Rifle 5.5
Wedges: 54* VIP forged, 58* CG10Putter: Bettinardi A02Ball: ProV1, Black Max

Well, I swung on a mat and the feel was really nice for the Clevelands, and they were cheaper. I've had them at the grass range twice now and although they're still okay, they don't feel as good as on the mats. I think I'm going to see if I can return them and check out the MX-25's or the MP-60s but this time take a loaner set out. I guess I got a little excited :)

But don't take my word for it. If you hit Cleveland better than MX-25, by all means keep the CG Gold. But I'm guessing you'll like MX-25 better.

As far as MP-60 goes, do you honestly think you're good at ball striking? The reason why it felt good hitting off the mats is because even when you don't hit it pure or a little bit behind the ball, the mats will help to bounce off the club into hitting the ball. Off the grass, you'd be digging the turf and the distance will be greatly affected. Unless you're hitting pure shots (almost) all the time, I don't think MP-60 is a good option.
I think the feedback issue is really key. I don't think there is a magic number for a handicapp cutoff to use blades. I think if you are good enough to make adjustments in your swing when you mishit, then blades might be a good option. If not, you might get frustrated. Honestly, I hit my Cleveland TA1 blades better than any club I've ever hit. I bought mine used off Ebay for $250. When playing muscle backs, you have to pay attention to impact and follow through the hitting zone smoother with blades.

I definitely agree with you. Handicap isn't a cutoff to determine whether someone should or should not be using blades. A friend of mine who's a handicap 20 is superior with irons, but has problems with short game and putting. Regardless to what everyone says, he switched to MP-32 2 months ago. Now he dropped to handicap 12, not because he switched to MP-32, but because he's improving his putting and short game. The only reason why he picked blades is because he loves the feel and feedback of a player's iron.

So whenever someone's saying,"you're this handicap and you should not be using blades, etc. etc." I don't buy that. It all depends.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

• 2 weeks later...
I play the black cg1, same club as Vijay Singh. I actually find these clubs easier to handle then my previous cavity backs. I hit them just as long, have no issues with accuracy and can even shape them which I had no chance with the older cavity backs. My handicap is what it is primarily because of my short game. Anytime I have less then a club to the green I can struggle. Full shots are butter though even better then the Cb"s. I have found that I hit the ball a little longer with these clubs. I play a 9 iron from about 145 today and flew the green into the wind from that distance. It was like a 155 carry. I hit the 3 iron about 220 consistently with no wind and that is plenty of distance with that club. When you hit them right, boy it feels great.

New to the board so why not jump into the discussion. I have been playing golf seriously for 7 years. Before that once a year was playing alot. I have been playing CB's (TM LCG's great clubs, TM 320's, Titlelist 504 CB's) but I have just got a set of Titlelist 690 MB's. Much more accuate and the mishits are no worse then the CB's. If you are a solid ball striker don't be afraid of the MB's. Just shot an 82 and the MB's responded very well. One bad hit with them for the round.

• 2 weeks later...
I've posted here before about a week after I switched over from blades to cavity backs wondering if I had made the right move. Well, I have now played 12 rounds since owning cavity backs and I have dropped my handicap index from 10.3 to 6.9. I've posted 6 rounds in the 70's and all 6 rounds in the 80's have been 82's for some odd reason. Of those 6 rounds, I'd say 3 of them were really in the 70's as my tee to green play was very good but my putter let me down on several occasions... nine 3 putts in 3 rounds.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

I've posted here before about a week after I switched over from blades to cavity backs wondering if I had made the right move. Well, I have now played 12 rounds since owning cavity backs and I have dropped my handicap index from 10.3 to 6.9. I've posted 6 rounds in the 70's and all 6 rounds in the 80's have been 82's for some odd reason. Of those 6 rounds, I'd say 3 of them were really in the 70's as my tee to green play was very good but my putter let me down on several occasions... nine 3 putts in 3 rounds.

No your rounds were in the 80's period. You can't say oh my putter let me down hence I really would have shot in the 70's. My handicapp has gone from 7.5-10.9 all playing with cavity backs after struglling with my cavity backs I switched to blades my handicap has drop from 10.9 to 10.2 in the first month using the blades. I find the 690 mb's to be the most solid feeling club I have hit. More distance higher ball flight and more accuracy. All the things that the club shops say you'll give up if you try them.

I'm a 4 handicap and am debating whether it's even worth trying blades. And you're a 17 and are dead set on them....??? Maybe you should try to work on getting a mroe consistent swing and maybe break 85 once in a while before buying the least forgiving irons on the market?

I'd agree that a 17 handicapp probably doesn't have consintent ball striking ability. But in your case I think you may have bought into what I believe is a myth that blades are only for scratch golfers. I have played about 6-7 rounds with the 690 mb's and have found the mishits to be no worse then with the cavity backs except the feed back is immediate and not very pleasant. The ball flight is no worse with either however. I'd suggest that you get a cheap set on Ebay and give them a try.

IMO I'd say don't judge any club particularly irons by hitting them on mats. A sledge hammer would feel great especially on a new mat.

Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!