IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I say go for it too as long as you understand that the learning curve will be steeper. It comes down to how will you handle any frustration during that learning period.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Is this advisable? Would they grow on the player or just frustrate? I ask because I can get a sweet deal on MP-32s right now.

What are you using now? A large cavity? I can guarantee you miss a bunch of balls off the toe and heel if you're a 20. You may not be able to feel it, but everybody misshits some shots.

Part of what the MP's have is reduced offset. Most not-so-good players have a problem with this because they tend to fade the ball. A more offset club can deal with this because the club can catch up a little. With something like the MP's, this isn't really the case and your fades or slices (if you have them) might become bigger. If you can get a good deal on them, then I'd probably do it. It really depends on how good a deal it is. And are the 32's the blades or cavity? If it's the cavity, I'd say you can grow into it in time (blades are tough for non-single digits). They'll make the game harder and probably less fun for you though.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I play MP-57s, going from cavity backs, no problem with playing the clubs whatsoever. Haven't noticed less forgiveness, I'm not too worried about my misses anyways, I'm aiming to hit the ball square on the face. When I do, the feeling is wonderful, definately as soft as butter.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go for it. They probably won't HELP your game right now, but I doubt they will hurt you to be honest. Normally I'd say no, but since you are a 20 and say to be improving, you will be able to grow into your clubs and will give you instant feedback on exactly what you're doing wrong since they are not a large cavity with offset.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I'm about the same as Zeph. I also went to 57's from wide soled cavity backs and didn't notice any less forgiveness. I've been playing them about two months now. When I first got them they didn't help or hurt my scores but tightened up my average. For some reason the last couple weeks my scores have dropped about five strokes and it's all been in my iron play (according to the stats I keep). Now my aveage is right at 100 so I'm surely over a 20 handicap. I say go for it. Don't be afraid of them.

I'm about the same as Zeph. I also went to 57's from wide soled cavity backs and didn't notice any less forgiveness.

Well, lets not forget the MP-57's do have a little bit more forgiving and 'newer' technology in them as oppose to the MP-32's. The MP-32's are great looking sticks, but a bit older in the technology and also a litte less forgiving.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

I went from mp 30 cavity back irons to mp33 and have not looked back. I bought the mp33 on ebay for $250 including shipping. go for it and you will not feel sorry you let a good deal pass you by.

I dropped about 3-5 strokes from my game switching clubs.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

CG031, you're right. The I was just trying to say that "harder to hit clubs" aren't always bad for higher cappers. The things I read about the 57's kept me away from them for several months. I'm glad I went against popular opinion.

Go for it. It just takes dedication to learning and practice. I kind of made a dumb move by going to a CB iron from MPs. I wasn't consistent with the MPs but my striking and confidence have suffered since switchin, making it a wash.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Thanks for all the posts guys. I have mixed opinions about the whole cavity vs blade argument, but I feel like if I had the musclebacks, then I would make the most of it. It's still a toss up for me right now. Maybe I'll get them just to intimidate everybody at the bag drop!

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

Mizunos irons are top notch. Don't think too much about it, just go with what you want and ballstrike. Certainly don't listen to those who nay say blades or traditional player clubs, they want to play them too. So badly, they come out of the woodwork to bash people playing blades to make their choice of helper cavity backs feel better. Just do it, just enjoy it.

Mizunos irons are top notch. Don't think too much about it, just go with what you want and ballstrike. Certainly don't listen to those who nay say blades or traditional player clubs, they want to play them too. So badly, they come out of the woodwork to bash people playing blades to make their choice of helper cavity backs feel better. Just do it, just enjoy it.

I agree. Sometimes I think it's a little overrated "how 'hard' it is to play blades." Cavity backs can certainly help high handicappers starting out who don't play often...but musclebacks, smaller cavities, and even blades are not nearly as hard to hit as people try to claim they are. Hell, I was intimidated by blades until I recently tried the Callaway Prototype's at a Callaway Demo Day...they really weren't hard to hit, they felt great just like my MP-57's. I don't think I struck my MP-57's or the Callaway's any different.

Thanks for all the posts guys. I have mixed opinions about the whole cavity vs blade argument, but I feel like if I had the musclebacks, then I would make the most of it. It's still a toss up for me right now. Maybe I'll get them just to intimidate everybody at the bag drop!

Yeah don't be afraid about switching. It will certainly feel a little different, and you may lose some distance on the mishits and stuff, but it's not like it will be unplayable, and it will be a great investment because you'll grow into them as you improve.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

Well, I did it. I'm buying a used set of MP 32s. They look pretty nice, and if I suck with them, then I can simply ebay them for at least what I bought them for.

We'll see how thing go at the range this week.

3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

I would say it really depends on where that handicap is coming from. handicap is a measure of how good a scorer you are on the golf course, not how well you can hit the ball. sure there is a correlation between being able to hit the ball well and scoring lower but I'll give you some examples of how ball striking and handicap could be misleading:

1. you could be a horrible ball striker but have impeccable greenside control. can chip well and be 2-and-done or less on the green without fail. On a lot of holes on your average golf course, you can get the ball to the green in 3 shots without the ball ever getting more than 10 feet in the air. Such a golfer could essentially play bogey golf without being very good. I've seen my fair share of these people and i'm sure you all have too. I remember when I was struggling with breaking 90, I would play with people like this and it would be frustrating cause i was a much better ball striker than them and they were outscoring me.

2. there is the opposite of number one. great tee to green/greenside, but considers a 2 putt a giant achievement. Strokes add up quickly when birdie and par opportunities turn in to bogeys and doubles because of three putts.

In my experience, most 20 handicappers fall into one of these categories. The people who are struggle tee-to-hole tend to be scoring up in the triple digits.

The point of this long reply is this, buy the clubs that you hit well. the last thing you want to do is if you're like teh player in #1, is buy clubs that are too hard to hit, and now you take 5 shots to get to the green instead of 3.

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

I would say it really depends on where that handicap is coming from. handicap is a measure of how good a scorer you are on the golf course, not how well you can hit the ball. sure there is a correlation between being able to hit the ball well and scoring lower but I'll give you some examples of how ball striking and handicap could be misleading:

I agree, if they look good to you and you hit them well, that is all that matters.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I agree, if they look good to you and you hit them well, that is all that matters.

Yeah, I'm the guy that sticks his approach shot pretty cozy next to the green, but not quite on most of the time. My bogeys come from chip/pitch then two putts (my most common scheme) which is straight short game junk. I'm working on nailing that down now. My doubles come from jacking tee shots or from three putts. This change may put me further from the green for awhile, but it'll still be chip/pitch, putt, putt for bogey.

I'm poised for consistent mid-80s. Perhaps now I'll have the clubs to get past that point.

Congrats on the purchase. I just impulse bought a used set of titleist 670's of ebay about two weeks ago and my iron play has never been better. I would say to go to the range a few times before hitting the course.

Driver: Titleist 905T 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 975F 13.5* Stiff
5 Wood: Cleavland Launcher 19* Stiff
Irons: 3-9 Titleist 670 DG s300
PW: Titleist Vokey 246.06GW: Titleist Vokey 252.08SW: Cleavland 588 Tour Action 56*Putter: Ping Pal 2

you will love it. I first switched to the mizuno MP 60 when I was still a 20+ and it took a while to get used to, but after a couple months it's much easier and I can now go back and forth with blade and cavity, which is good when I don't have my club.

In my MTX Bag:
Driver: F speed 10.5 degree
F.W. wood: Steelhead III 3 wood, :
callaway: Steelhead III 5 wood
Hybrids: 18* XLS 3iIrons: MP60 4-PW w/ dgs300Wedges: vokey 52*, vokey 56*Putter: Pro Platium Milled Ball: E6+

Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!