IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's what is called individuality. What's good for one is not necessarily good for another, therefore they have the freedom to play what they want (not intending to sound snide ). I played CB for years and switched to blades before season 2009 started, and I can't imagine going back any time soon. My handicap dropped from '08, with basically the same amount of rounds played. I did get a series of lessons, but it had to do with a swing flaw rather than an impact zone or ball striking issue. I will say that my 3-5 irons were CB, but I am switching to blades in those irons this off-season. So, do I think blades are "really" the King of the Hill? That answer is dependent solely on a persons abilities, preference, and confidence to use them.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I wonder if that is true at all? Many people claim that one can work the ball better but if this was the case do You actually believe that tour players would worsen their position by using CB's? I find that quite unplausible.

I have heard time and again from former players and the like that today's touring pros don't work the ball (and don't have to) like previous generations. They bomb it out there as far as they can, fairway optional, then throw a short-iron to the green. There is less need to finesse the ball in today's game.

I once heard it said that a playing pro was quoted as saying that if he were in charge, the tour would be playing balata balls and persimmon woods. Now that might be fun to watch, because I don't believe most of the younger players on tour could even hit a fairway with a persimmon wood. They spin too much, which is why Tom Watson was saying that the most you could swing one of those things was about 80% and have any consistency. And then you have to hit the sweet spot. I agree with some of the previous posters: I want to be rewarded for good swings, and not for bad ones. Score is not what motivates me, although I do enjoy playing well. I just get more satisfaction in playing well with a more difficult club, rather than one that band-aids a poor swing.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

i use them because i dont want to be rewarded with a bad swing if i make a bad swing i dont want my clubs masking my swing just me though

This makes no sense too me. By the time you have made the bad swing, it's too late to correct it anyway. For a low handicap golfer, the bad swing is the exception, not the rule.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

Yes, if you don't have blades then you'll never be any good. Wait a minute... Lucas won the US Open with Nike CCIs, Dustin Johnson uses TM Tour Preferred and so on... Doesn't matter what you play as long as you score well with them.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

This makes no sense too me. By the time you have made the bad swing, it's too late to correct it anyway. For a low handicap golfer, the bad swing is the exception, not the rule.

I've found over the years that regardless of the what type of club I was using (blade or CB) if i didn't make a good pass at the ball, I didn't like the results. I suppose in some instances the CB made the "mistake" less punishing but it was still a mistake.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I believe as I have said many times 95% of all golfers would be best served to play at least a moderately forgiving iron. I played MP60s this year and my handicap shot up big. Most of us just don't have the time to put into golf to consistantly hit the center of the club face.

If you are a 10 and playing a players iron, you are probably closer to an 8 with a more forgiving iron. A miss is 20 yards gone instead of 5. I don't mind making birdie off a slight miss hit.

Brian

It's a simple ego thing, IMO. A lot of people want to play irons so that other people (or possibly themselves) will think they are a "better golfer". Right?

The ads for the irons always say "these are for the better golfer", the "low handicapper", etc. So by taking those giant shovels to the course, you are letting everybody know you are not one of those "better golfers". That's why they invented "players cavity backs". So you can still have a cavity back but think of yourself as one of those "better players".

The people who have bought into this can't reveal the real reason they are playing those blade irons (maybe not even to themselves). That's why you hear the rationalizations about control or feel from golfers you know are not good enough to even begin to tell the difference.

Anyway - that's my opinion. I plan on getting some new clubs in 2010. Definitely getting cavity backs. I'm also getting a new bag with giant letter on the side that says "I suck at golf".

. . . also getting a new bag with giant letter on the side that says "I suck at golf".

Would that be an "F"?

Blade players don't look to their playing partners or the curious ones milling about the practice tee for validation of their golf game - enjoying the game golf is their reward - it's internal. IMO it's simply more fun to gauge yourself against the greats of the game by playing what they played. Especially when I can pick up vintage sets of Mizuno, Hogan, Wilson Staff, and MacGregor blades for a fraction of the price of a one new set of SGI irons - which still requires the purchase of an additional AW or GW. When I shoot an 83 on a windy day using the same set of irons Nick Faldo used to win the Masters, it feels good. When I can get a 2-iron from the same set Justin Leonard used to win the Open to stick from 240 out, it feels really good. When I catch the ball with perfect tempo and carry a fairway bunker at 250 yards out with my MacGregor VIP persimmon driver, it's more rewarding than the same shot 30+ yards longer with my PING G10. Much more rewarding. For some of us, those little moments in the game are as important as the number on the card.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I know I like to score. I am not a great player and don't need to play the sticks the pros play to know they are much much better than I ever will be.

Id rather shot a 76 with more forgiving club than an 83 with some sweet players iron.

I'd rather win a match than lose. If I play my old irons, I will lose more becuase I miss hit alot of shots (like most mid handicapers with jobs and not much time) and not be able to make par from 20 yards short instead of the front of the green. To me it was such a good move to change to something that performs on mishits. I think others of my skill level or worse would be wise to do the same enstead of the old "it makes me a better player because of feedback I get" I know I miss the shot. I just made a par from that miss.

Brian

There must me a new kind of snowboarding - most of the people I golf with can't get off the top of the chairlift without doing a faceplant, let alone getting down the mountain. You want easy? You want Curling!!

LOL, even better.

I used snowboarding cuz coming from a ski background, mostly telemarking when I tried it, it was stupid easy which just wasn't any fun to me.

Has anyone compare in their score difference in an average round of game by using a Super Game Improvement clubs versus a player's club or more difficult to use clubs?

I'm a 20 handicapper and i have a set of hybrid irons and a set of mizuno mp57. The difference for me is around 4-5 stroke. Is that your same experience too?

Has anyone here have a huge improvement in their score using a super game improvement club or hybrid irons set?

I used to try game my dad's G2s like 3 times per year (don't anymore, love my i10s), and I usually saw little to no difference. Maybe 1 or 2 shots max. My good shots with "player's clubs" are better than my good shots with SGI clubs. And I'm at the point now where I have more good shots than terrible shots, so SGIs don't help that much. For a 20, I'd assume to see a larger difference than 4-5 shots, so maybe you're a better ballstriker than your handicap would show.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Has anyone here have a huge improvement in their score using a super game improvement club or hybrid irons set?

I was the complete opposite. I was shooting low 80's with my GI's, which are not nessesarily called a "hybrid iron set" (TM RAC OS2). Then when I played my current irons, MP-57's, I shot at few 76's near the end of the season.

But sadly, I still don't think I have found the irons that suit me best, yet.

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

Thanks to denver_nuggs_15 and iammpspeer for your comments. Both of you are much better player at hp 9 than i am, so you are definitely in a difference league where a players club is more suited for your game than a SGI.

I would like to hear more from folks who are in my range of handicap and get a feel of how it affects your game with a SGI (super game improvement) irons versus a players' irons.

Thanks to denver_nuggs_15 and iammpspeer for your comments. Both of you are much better player at hp 9 than i am, so you are definitely in a difference league where a players club is more suited for your game than a SGI.

I play to a 10, wishing I were under 9.5!

And I do see your point. I have done this in the past when I was playing to a 15-16 (I gamed 15 year old Dunlops). I shaved anywhere from 3-4 strokes usually. Part of it was confidence that I could get away with more. Part was that the G2s (with my dad's specs) are a better fit to my stature than the old and unfit Dunlops. And part was the forgiveness, especially on mishits. Hope this helps more and sorry I didn't post this first.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I believe that the fact 30% of tour players use blades indicates that they are not for everyone. Some of the Nike staff players use CB low irons at that. I think this discussion should address CB Cast VS. Cavity back forged, for there is a huge difference between the two for sure. Harrington is a pure ball striker and plays Wilson staff cast CB's, and they sure work fine for him. You need to hit what you feel confident in and can hit consistently. Don't fall into any hype that you should hit forged blades to be a better player, it's a load of crap IMO. The important thing is that the club has a standard size head, that will promote better ball striking. They should also have very little offset, thus allowing you to work the ball effectively. And last and most important they should fit you. I have seen player that hated a set of irons suddenly fall head over heals when they had the right shaft and lie angle. Play what you love, love what you play. I play CB Forged and have never hit the ball better than I do now. Screw history, live for the day and play the best tech. you can get your hands on. Sean, would you go back to using a 1 piece or balata ball as well? Happy holiday all.

Titleist 909D2- Diamani Blue, 909F3-Diamani Blue
Macgregor PCB Tour - Miura forged 3-PW (Nippon 1150, soft stepped)
Macgregor Tourney Don White Custom Wedges 52,56,60
Bettinardi m5
Bridgeston B330SSkycaddie 4

Note: This thread is 1558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!