IGNORED

Course Attire

Doctorfro
Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He does wear some wacky clothes

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from the idea I would prefer people to dress nicely in the course, but if I have to choose between the cargo shorts and the brithish flag pants I would go for the first one inmediately

I don't know if I'm just getting old or what but I've got a new pet peeve. I'm really sick of seeing guys wearing an untucked sport shirt with cargo shorts on the course. To me it looks extremely sloppy. Courses have done a pretty good job of banning jeans and t-shirts but this nuveau, sloppy look that I see quite frequently is frankly no better. I don't know why this bothers me because I'm generally a very laid back person but it just doesn't look good to me. I know I'm going to get railed for this but I just needed to vent. Sorry.

Well, you anticipated the rail so I might as well give it to you. Frankly, I think this business of "proper attire" is a relic from golf's elitist past (and present, I suppose). What should concern golfers is behavior, not attire. If they aren't interfering with your game, then I don't see why it's your business.

If all golf courses had $100 green fees, or limited memberships, and demanded you wear a Rolex while playing, I have a feeling there's a significant number of players who wouldn't mind that at all; fewer "undesirables" to deal with.

Well, you anticipated the rail so I might as well give it to you. Frankly, I think this business of "proper attire" is a relic from golf's elitist past (and present, I suppose). What should concern golfers is behavior, not attire. If they aren't interfering with your game, then I don't see why it's your business.

You obviously didn't read my other posts and you're missing the point. That's Ok. Your opinion.

So behavior is what I should be concerned with? Let's talk about it. Since I live on a golf course I am exposed to many golfers passing by my home everyday. Most I should say are well behaved. On occasion I have groups that come by who are loud and obnoxious, cursing like crazy and tearing up the course with no thought of fixing the ground that they rip up. Some drop their beer cans hither and yon and then proceed to spray balls all over the course (and outside of it). I would guess that four out of five groups who behave in this manner are dressed in the way that we have discussed previously. Not all who dress that way act inappropriately but can you wonder why I cringe when I see a group dressed sloppily coming my way? It is not elitist to ask someone to dress for a specific occasion. And I don't want to hear about affording to dress right. Many of the guys I see dressed sloppily are driving SUVs and sucking down gas at an alarming rate. If they can do that, they can afford a couple of nice pairs of shorts. I'm definitely not saying they should be dressed in tuxedos. If you find my comments to be stereotyping or sweeping generalizations I make my apologies. Just reporting what I'm seeing.

This has taken off.

After all the reading on this thread, I have to say that I don't like the way that ALL cargo shorts seem to be thrown into one category.

I don't wear cargo shorts on the course, but I would see no problem with a pair like this.

Obviously there is a difference between those above and these

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

This is teh dress code for the golf course at my place.

Golf Course

It is mandatory that soft spikes be worn on golf shoes on the golf course and practice facilities, at all times.

On the golf course, tailored golf slacks or Bermuda shorts, no shorter than four inches above the knee are permitted. Ladies may also wear appropriate golf skirts. While wearing shorts, knee socks or sockettes are required (athletic/dress/calf-length socks are not permitted). When wearing golf sandals, no socks are required

All men’s golf shirts must have a collar or turtleneck and shirts must be tucked in at all times. A suitable ladies golf shirt (with a collar or turtleneck; with sleeves but no collar; or no sleeves with a collar) should be worn and be tucked in.

Junior golfers are required to adhere to this dress code.

In my White Hoofer Vantage Bag:

Driver : R7 Draw
Woods : 3 hybrid
Irons : MP-60Wedge : 54 deg 58 degPutter : RED X 35' (in love)Ball : TP BlackBest Round: 80Closest to Hole-In-One: 0.5''

why tuck in my shirt if it keeps trying to untuck when i swing...

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Those look like cutoffs?? I'm sure they were bought that way, but I wouldn't be caught on a golf course with cutoffs.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Those look like cutoffs?? I'm sure they were bought that way, but I wouldn't be caught on a golf course with cutoffs.

They were most definitely bought that way. I guess you could call them that if you want. The ends are mildly frayed, thought not dangling.

gsu, that attire is perfectly acceptable for any course you are likely to play in your first year of golf. It is fine for any public course, and most daily greens fees courses. But if a friend invites you to a private course, don't wear cargo shorts, wear something that looks clean cut. the old saying that you can never be overdressed applies on the golf course, but you can certainly be underdressed.

The only courses that really get picky about clothing are private clubs that have members who pay for a country club atmosphere. but don't pull the "i don't want to play those courses anyway" attitude that some here say they would do, as those courses are usually in great shape and a lot of fun.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

gsu, that attire is perfectly acceptable for any course you are likely to play in your first year of golf. It is fine for any public course, and most daily greens fees courses. But if a friend invites you to a private course, don't wear cargo shorts, wear something that looks clean cut. the old saying that you can never be overdressed applies on the golf course, but you can certainly be underdressed.

Thanks, I most definitely understand how to compose myself when attending a highly regarded course. The one that I play at has a foursome that is there everyday at the same time as me. They play 18 everyday, whereas I play 9 everyday. They are finishing up the front as I am finishing up the back, so I see them ride by in their shirts with cut off sleeves and confederate flags and TRUE cut off shorts (not frays, such as other college students and I wear).

I'm amazed that grown men have dragged this topic out so much. I pretty much consider myself one of the younger members here, even at 20 years old. I doubt very many golfers would ever show up to a high profile club underdressed. I know if I were to go to a nice private club I would wear khaki pants and not even worry about whether my shorts were appropriate.

I'm a plumber by trade, and work in commercial construction. I hardly think I could qualify as being an eletist snob. We don't have casual business attire, or casual Fridays, so personally, I enjoy the opportunity to dress in golf attire, and that doesn't include cargos or jeans. I also think that wearing proper attire, when mandated, is as much a matter of etiquette as not talking in someones backswing. It shows a little consideration for others enjoyment of the game.

I'm also 6'-5", and very few of my shirts are tall sizes, but it's no problem keeping my shirts tucked in.

While wearing shorts, knee socks or sockettes are required (athletic/dress/calf-length socks are not permitted). When wearing golf sandals, no socks are required.

Does this seem like a poorly thought out set of rules to anyone else (hypocritical even?)

Why are you not allowed to show your ankles by wearing quarter socks (no-show socks) when wearing shoes, but you are allowed to show your ankles and your pasty, hairy toes while wearing tacky golf sandals?

It really depends on the course. I do not seeing peopel dressed really badly, but some of the cheaper and public courses will have everything. I make sure that I am dressed to play and just to go to the range for that matter. I do not seeing jeans and tee shirts.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

Does this seem like a poorly thought out set of rules to anyone else (hypocritical even?)

Probably an old rule written by a bunch of stiffs a long time ago. You will probably see a change in the rules as the old men die off.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!