IGNORED

Titleist

Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty stupid thing to say. If you don't like them, that's one thing, but "they're horrible" implies that there's something intrinsically wrong with them. There isn't. You just don't like 'em, which is fine.

I never said there was something wrong with them I meant I find them quite aesthetically incorrect. I really don't think that's something stupid to say, and I wouldn't be calling someone "stupid" just because he hurt my deepest feeling for a brand of clubs. But I guess your lack of respect does say a lot about your education anyway...

The best player in the world is Tiger Woods, that is indisputable. He plays Nike Irons, Drivers, and Balls. Does that mean they are the best?

Im pretty sure the reason why Tiger uses Nike products is because Nike pays him a lot of money to do so.

You can bet that if any other golf company offered Tiger more money, he'd switch in an instant. Id be very interested to see what the best players in the world would use if they didnt get paid tons of money to use a certain brand.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator
I never said there was something wrong with them

No, you said they were "horrible."

I meant I find them quite aesthetically incorrect.

You can find them aesthetically unpleasing, but you can't really find them aesthetically "wrong." Aesthetics are not a binary state - there are degrees of "pleasing" or "not pleasing" or "pretty" or "not pretty" or "easy to look at" or "not easy to look at." You also didn't say what you "meant" apparently.

I really don't think that's something stupid to say, and I wouldn't be calling someone "stupid" just because he hurt my deepest feeling for a brand of clubs.

I didn't call you stupid. I stated that what you SAID was stupid - there's a difference, and if you're going to throw out education as some sort of argument, I'd think you should know the difference.

You called the clubs "horrible." You didn't say what (you later said that) you meant.
But I guess your lack of respect does say a lot about your education anyway...

Oh brother.

No further response from you is necessary and will be highly likely to be removed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im pretty sure the reason why Tiger uses Nike products is because Nike pays him a lot of money to do so.

That is absurd...Do you think he is using inferior equipment? No. Every company would give him whatever he wanted to play with their stuff. He brings in that much money. When he signed with them maybe...But he uses equipment that he likes. Remember when he signed, he still used his Titliest driver. These players can get paid by anyone. They can still pick what they want to use, because they will get paid regardless.

That is absurd...Do you think he is using inferior equipment? No. Every company would give him whatever he wanted to play with their stuff. He brings in that much money. When he signed with them maybe...But he uses equipment that he likes. Remember when he signed, he still used his Titliest driver. These players can get paid by anyone. They can still pick what they want to use, because they will get paid regardless.

Tiger doesn't care about the quality of the equipment his sponsor has, everything he uses is custom made to his specifications. Regardless of what company sponsors him I'm sure his irons would be almost identical except for having a different logo on them. Even the Nike ball he plays isn't available to the public.

I have always thought of Titleist as a player's choice. I don't know why really LOL As far as performance my 775.cb's are amazing. They got pretty good reviews in the '06 Hot List as well. My Cameron is the best thing I've ever putted with. The 906f2 is a rocket launcher off both tee and fairway. I'm probably going to get some Vokeys to match. All in all I'm a pretty decent Titleist fan

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

• Administrator
Even the Nike ball he plays isn't available to the public.

Used to be true. Is no longer with the '08 model ONE Platinum.

Let's stay on topic. Tiger isn't it - Titleist is.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So after all that - is there say a Titleist driver I should definately try? I have been using an r7 draw and while nice I just am not 100% comfortable with it.

Andrew

Ill try this.

Titleist targets a specific market of players. The players. They make blades, muscle backs, workable drivers, the finest putters, and exceleent wedges.

they have been doing well with their better, and aspiring player lines.

Drivers-even their attempt at a forgiving driver (the D1) isnt even as forgiving as some other companys drivers. D1 for poorer, d2 for better.

Woods- they have both the F2 and F4. F2 being workable, the f4 more frogiving.

irons- ap1, ap2. ap1 for lesser, ap2 for better. then of course the blades, which are for better.

wedges-vokeys are obviously very highly used by, damn near everyone.

Scottys- c'mon, name one style putter from every company? oh you cant, now name three from scotty.. Point.

To sum it up. Titleist makes a product for everyone. Wether you want to work the ball with the utmost feel, they got something, if your starting out, they got options for ya. if you want questionably the best putters and wedges, your a titleist man.

Then again, i gues every company does this..

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

So after all that - is there say a Titleist driver I should definately try? I have been using an r7 draw and while nice I just am not 100% comfortable with it.

Maybe the D1 ?

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I'll just play devils advocate here... everyone has this great perception of Titleist and their products, I own Titleist equipment and neither love nor hate their products but think about one thing...

the difference between retail and professional equipment... people rave about Camerons but a majority of tour professionals use older, obscure models or prototype Camerons that 1) you cant afford, unless you enjoy spending 2000 dollars on a putter and 2) have to go to the end of the earth to get your hands on one

it's also interesting that beyond Scott and Stricker their touring pro merits are a little weak, Taylormade has a severe advantage in that category... especially with drivers, this obviously excludes balls as we all know the prov1 is essentially the greatest ball "ever made"

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• Administrator
it's also interesting that beyond Scott and Stricker their touring pro merits are a little weak, Taylormade has a severe advantage in that category... especially with drivers, this obviously excludes balls as we all know the prov1 is essentially the greatest ball "ever made"

I know you're smart enough to realize that TaylorMade

pays for that. Most of the pros don't choose TaylorMade simply because they like them. I'm also unsure what their tour staff has to do with anything being discussed here. A Tour staff is no way to determine the worth of a set of clubs, or whether they'll work for your game. As for the putter comment you made, so? That's one club in the bag, and I don't think as many pros play "obscure" models as you think. Most of the guys who play Scotty putters simply have some stamping or unique paint fill, or a unique finish, or the Circle T stamp or weights. Very few use an "obscure" model that you can't get - they just have customizations done. You can get most of those done as well or, yes, buy a $2000 collectible you'll likely never put in your bag. The two points you've mentioned bring up an interesting point, too: a heckuva lot of pros play Scotty Cameron putters despite being under contract to, say, TaylorMade. A big margin. So there's that...
Edit: Let's get back to the original purpose of the thread. I've just realized how far we've come. Teal asked "How are their drivers? What should I look for in a Titleist driver? (model or specific shafts etc.)"

If I remember correctly, Tiger still uses a Newport 2 with a ping grip on it.

Tiger also used Titleist irons until Nike bought his soul.

Tiger also used the 975D for what seemed like forever, even bringing it back out in 2005 (speculation on the date).

That just goes to show that the worlds best use the worlds best, until they get paid $90,000,000 to do otherwise.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

I've heard that Tiger's irons are forged in Japan and given the Nike stamp..or something along these lines. That's what I heard too as far as you can't get "his" iron here..it may look the same..but not exactly.

If I remember correctly, Tiger still uses a Newport 2 with a ping grip on it.

I've heard that Tiger's irons are forged in Japan and given the Nike stamp..or something along these lines. That's what I heard too as far as you can't get "his" iron here..it may look the same..but not exactly.

Couldnt you also say, that maybe Nike's equipment got better, so that is why he made the switch. If you dont think Titleist would have paid him you are wrong. As for him having non Nike equipment, you are wrong. He plays Nike irons. Just like he plays a Nike Driver, and a Titleist putter.

back to subject...

if I'm playing well my 905R is the best driver I've ever hit... only problem is that I'm not hitting the sweet spot on every swing so my TM works better for me as there seems to be more forgiveness

if you are a consistent striker then Titleist drivers are a nice stick

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Yes, I'm very well aware that he uses Nike equipment. As I said, he used to use titleist blades before he switched to Nike. He used to use the 975D before he switched. Past tense....

I'm sure Titleist would have paid him. I doubt he would have been paid $90,000,000. The thing is, Nike needs Tiger way more than he needs them. That's why they were willing to invest so much in him. Titleist doesn't need anybody. The quality of their products sells itself. That's why almost everyone on Tour uses Titleist products. They have the #1 selling golf ball ever.

Just a little tid-bit for you:

INSIDE TIGER'S NUMBERS WITH THE TITLEIST CAREER

STARTS: 93
CUTS MADE: 82
CAREER VICTORIES: 18
MAJOR VICTORIES: 2
CAREER TOP 10'S: 51
CAREER TOP 25'S: 66
CAREER EARNINGS: $15,272,110

IN 2000
STARTS: 9
CUTS MADE: 9
VICTORIES: 3
TOP 10'S: 8
TOP 25'S: 9
EARNINGS: $3,591,731
SCORING AVERAGE: 68.13
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!