IGNORED

How long did it take you to break 100?

Gilmore
Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Played my first round last September, shot a 134 w/ lots of mulligans, preferred lies, lol....practice, practice, practice.....finally broke 100 this past May, I'd say a total of 13-15 rounds to get past triple digits.

Broke 90 one month and 15 rounds later; I love summer!!!

It took me 4 months. The lowest I had shot up until that point was 115. that day I shot a 95. I was ecstatic. I have practiced a LOT since then and have gradually gotten better.

MrSandman touched on a point earlier in this post about playing a shorter course to learn how to break a scoring barrier. For me, this seems true. Once I broke 100 for the first time, it was pretty easy to repeat. The same was true for consistently breaking 90. Now if I could only break 80 consistently!

Tour Burner TP
r7 Fairway Woods
r7 TP Irons/RAC TP Wedges
White Hot XG Sabertooth Putter

I have been playing for about a year now.Although I have played 4 rounds on 6000 yd courses.Played about 12 rounds in total,other practice comes from the range.

Hit 110 a couple of weeks ago,first round was a 121.I have adopted a one plane swing,and read Jim Hardy's book.Playing this wednesday,and I really have put the work into my short game these last couple of months.

Really getting into course strategy,and if I check my ego at the door,i'm a big enough hitter with my irons too not risk shots i'm not capable of.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I started 2 years ago had ZERO friends or family that had EVER played, there WAS no golf in my small ass school, my buddy invited me to the range, he had some 2nd hand clubs and had just started himself.

I got addicted instantly, Im a really big dude, so i didnt have the instant coordination, but I was pretty sure i could get there, so I started going to driving ranges and sneaking out their stock clubs that you were supposed to pay $2 to use hitting balls.. and then finally talked my gf into letting me buy a $100 set off of amazon.com that had everything from putter, SW - fairway woods and driver.

We played Par 3s that summer, it scared the HELL out of me at first, then I took 4 group lessons with about 10 other people that were about 1 1/2 hours long.

I wish I had gone to the real courses sooner because i think you learn WAY more out there than par 3s, but, i was intimidated, the holes looked SOOO damn long :D

Anyway back to the question... Winter came, no golfing, spring came and I started going with a guy from work to real courses, I was really bad with Driver and 4irons + since i never needed them at executives, But I believe about 1 1/2 months in I finally broke 100... BUT that was using our friendly "1 muligan per side" rule. I broke it legitamitely the next time out, and for the rest of the year rarely went over again. This year starting in Spring again I KEPT getting just over 100, which seemed really odd cause i felt pretty good about my game, then recently ive gotten it back together and just shot 90 two weeks ago, I figured a strange technique with my driver where I'm hitting probably 80% of the fairways now and that has helped a ton.

Back to this crazy Mr.Meen sandman argument, I really dont see why ANYONE can argue with sandmans suggestion, I've never tried it, BUT...

If you are calling it PRACTICE how can you say it wont help?

It's just like saying, Go to the driving range and practice. "NO, I'm going to do it the REAL WAY"

Ok fine.. Go to the putting green and practice.. "HELL NO, Im going to do it the REAL WAY"

Get some lessons and practice "I dont THINK SO, I'm going to do it the RIGHT WAY"

I dont see how this is considered the wrong way.. it's just supposed to be practice.. how can PRACTICE be wrong, unless you are practicing how to putt by picking up the ball and bowling it toward the hole.. But hmm.. even then youd probably get more familiar with reading greens...

I think he has a fundamental problem with the fact that it's the LADIES tees..

I think if the red tees were called the STUD TEEs it'd be A-Ok, if you can practice on a driving range why cant you practice from the Red Stud Tees? I dont get it. I think Mr.Meen REALLY TRULY IS Eric Cartman, I kept hearing his voice as I read the posts... :D

Adams Golf Idea a2 OS Hybrids
(all but the 3iron, I broke it )

Hi,

My first year in golf was relatively successfully (for my standards) I was broke 100 quite soon and regularly (95-100) ... 2 times even 90 ! After A while I took a new pro and switch to one-plane-swing ! I somehow learned one-plane-swing (with over the top problem) to some point and starting to repeat around 95 scores. Until my first tournament (I shoot 98) But after that all tournaments was in area 96-108 .
This is my second year in golf and I can’t reproduce my last year (beginners) results anymore. Becoming too technical, mentally unstable, lack of confidence,... I hope in near future I will manage to stabilise my game and achieve goal for this year: around 90 (
regards,
m

general asshattery

First you blah-blah me, now this junk. 2 months of 6 days/wk at the range and you can't break 100, but you want to keep mocking our advice. Congrats on the neg rep.

BTW, I shot 76 yesterday, but you keep pluggin'!

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

First you blah-blah me, now this junk. 2 months of 6 days/wk at the range and you can't break 100, but you want to keep mocking our advice. Congrats on the neg rep.

glad to see that you and sandman like to just give negative rep instead of intelligently debating - fight the battle anyway you can

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

glad to see that you and sandman like to just give negative rep instead of intelligently debating - fight the battle anyway you can

blah blah blah

Boys and girls, this is what we call irony.

EDIT: BTW, what debate do you want to have? Like twenty people have told you Sandman's idea is a great idea, and you just continue to flatly dismiss it. Proof is in the scoring, and we have that advantage over you, so.....good luck with that 32.7, I guess.....

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Well, I'll try to get this back on topic. When I started around 10-11 years old, my father had me taking a few lessons and practicing a ton before he ever took me out. It was so long ago I can't remember exactly how long it took but I vaguely remember it being probably 5 or 6 months of playing 2-3 times a month before I broke 100. My dad kept my score and he looked over at me after one round and said congrats you shot a 96 today. The course was pretty wide open with not a lot of trouble and I was playing from the front tees. When I started playing again about 12 years ago(1 or 2 times a month), it took me about a year to break 100 again, but it wasn't by much and didn't happen often.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Well it looks like a started a juicy topic.

I would like to add to it.... yesterday I shot a 95 with 5 pars throughtout the whole round. There were a few triple bogeys that I was not proud of, but overall it was my best round so far. I hit 9 or 10 of the fairways which I know is the reason for my score. Even when I didn't hit the fairway I recovered very well!

All in all I was very pleased with my day! Come on July 4th!

In my Grom Bag

R7 Draw Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
R7 Draw HybridR7 Irons Ball e5+White HotXG 2 Ball

Back to this crazy Mr.Meen sandman argument, I really dont see why ANYONE can argue with sandmans suggestion, I've never tried it, BUT...

I don't get it either. Especially when so many players who are able to break 80 are saying that it is a good method to break a scoring barrier. And not only is it something he doesn't want to do, but it is something that "likely would not help many people at all..."

I love Cartman though.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I think sonciblue and I are giving reasoned responses as to why we think short courses can be helpful, and how it has helped us not only break 100, but break 80 with some consistency. As opposed to your approach of saying that a short course probably would not help anybody, as you try to break 100 for the first time, and people who break 80 are telling you that it did help them.

And if you are afraid of playing the ladies tees (maybe you are insecure and don't want to be made fun of at your "hard" course?), then go find a 5,000 yd executive course near you. There are probably a dozen 5,000 yd courses near Tampa.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Not that it is SUPER important, since even if you got 101 you were in position to break 100 last time out Mr.Meen, but DID you break 100? A bogey for 99 on the last hole gives you a good chance, but a bogey is DEFINITELY NOT guaranteed for those of us that dont shoot at least 90, since a bogey average is a handicap of 18. So did you hold it together for the last hole not counting the 8 you hit into the woods off the tee box to start with?

Adams Golf Idea a2 OS Hybrids
(all but the 3iron, I broke it )

I am sorry but I do not see how artificially inflating your ego is going to help your game. I definitely can not see how shooting from ladies tees to get a better score makes you a better golfer. - If someone needs to shoot from ladies tees so they can brag about breaking a milestone it may be time to take up a game that doesnt require skill (like bowling)

Yikes man. In my opinion you are way off here. I don't think sandman said that you must play from the ladies tees, I think he is suggesting that you find a course that suits your abilities so you can establish some confidence.

Also, to bowl well certainly requires skill. I'm not talking about bowling a 150 in your beer league and considering that a good score. But that is a different story and this is not a bowling forum. Lastly, sandman is a single digit handicap. You are a 32.7. Take his advice. You may like to play the tough courses and torture yourself, but with that index there is no way you are enjoying yourself out there and you are definitely not learning how to hit normal, everyday golf shots that are required to improve. What courses are you playing? Links to websites? Or just list the yardages and course ratings. I'm almost 20 strokes better than you and if the slope is 130+, I consider moving up to the next tees depending on the yardage. You need to know your limits my friend.

my first season, started playing 5 years ago during the my freshman year of college and became so addicted to the game that during that summer I got a small part time job at a local course and played 27 every day, 7 days a week for the entire summer

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

This is my second summer playing seriously and I still a haven't done it. The closest I've come is 102 but I have shot a front nine 49 playing after work.

This thread makes me feel a little better. I just played my 5th full round this past Saturday and shot a 103 (my best ever!). I hit about 9 of 13/14 drives straight about 230 yards and into the fairway (yes, my iron play & short game is not up to snuff) too.

I can break the 100 mark soon though. For e.g. I had 1 hole where I 4 putted because I got a little nervous since the other 2 in my 3-some were done. Afterwards they said never rush like that on the green.

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!