IGNORED

Flighted Rifle 6.0 or 6.5?

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to order a new set of irons soon and was wondering what flex to get. my 6 iron speed is 90-92mph. The guy at the golf store said defiantely 6.5 but i dont know. I have the cs-lites in stiff in my irons now and am struggling with finding a consistent ball flight. i wanna here what people who have hit them thought whether they wish they would have went stronger or weaker.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

If you want a subjective opinion, I would say go with 6.5s. When it comes to irons, i would rather feel like I'm swinging a metal rod than a whip; control over distance.

http://www.royalprecision.com/precis..._projectx.html
The chart also says that your swing speed matches a 6.5.

My 6-iron swing speed is between 80-85mph and I went with the 6.0 because I felt like I had more control of the club with a stiffer shaft. When it all comes down to it it's all about what you feel more comfortable with, like JYB said.

In The Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°, Fujikura RE*AX 65g Stiff
Hybrid: CLK 17°, Exsar HS2 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60, Project X 6.0, 3i / MP-32, Project X 6.0, 4i-PWWedges: MP-T Black Ni, 51.06 / 56.13 / 60.08Putter: Studio Style Newport 2, 34" / 340gBall: e5+

I am going to order a new set of irons soon and was wondering what flex to get. my 6 iron speed is 90-92mph. The guy at the golf store said defiantely 6.5 but i dont know. I have the cs-lites in stiff in my irons now and am struggling with finding a consistent ball flight. i wanna here what people who have hit them thought whether they wish they would have went stronger or weaker.

Find one which is not too soft and not too stiff for you. How heavy is CS-Lite compared to Rifle Flighted? There may be swing speed decrement if CS-Lite is lighter than RF.

Other than that, I'd strongly recommend TT Tour Concept S3. Weighted at 126gr a shaft, they're flighted and have smooth feel. Quality shafts.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

With the stiffer shafts it is supposed to help you control the ball more. That was the whole reason for me getting the 6.5 in mine. I could have gone with just a normal stiff in everything that I have, but I do not really need the whipping motion to get distance. I am good in that department. I needed the stiffer shaft to get control. There is nothing worse that hitting the ball really long and not having control over it. That gets you in a whole lot of trouble.

I just have to ask if you have tried the Project X. If you like the rifle shafts, you might want to give them a try.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

Get fitted. My 6i speed is very close to yours, but my fitter put me in 5.5's. Swing speed isn't the only variable in determining shaft stiffness....tempo also has a large bearing on what shaft will work best for you. My tempo is relatively slow and my transition down from the top is not sharp/aggressive, so the softer flex works fine for me.

-C

ITB:
905R Proforce V2
SS03 Fujikura Tour Platform
MD 21 Irod
MD 25 Fujikura Tour PlatformKZG Forged Blades 5-PW Rifle 5.5 Vokey SM 54/08, 60/04 Rifle Spinner Kombi 35"

Get fitted. My 6i speed is very close to yours, but my fitter put me in 5.5's. Swing speed isn't the only variable in determining shaft stiffness....tempo also has a large bearing on what shaft will work best for you. My tempo is relatively slow and my transition down from the top is not sharp/aggressive, so the softer flex works fine for me.

me too. same ss range and i'm using 5.5's.

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

i have a pretty hard downswing because i dont take a full backswing, i dont get to parrallel i mean. i didn't really like the project x too much. i am actually going to go to another guy to check why swing speed and see what he says. then should i get x stiff in my woods? my 3 wood ss is around 104-108mph

Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

I have flighted 6.5's in my Mizunos. I have the swing speed to go with 7.0 but I am in the process of toning it down and shortening my swing, plus I think they play stiffer than the chart says. My Driver swing speed is 120-125 mph and I swing x-stiff shafts in all my woods. I used to play Dynamic gold x100's and I find the 6.5 to be a very good fit. With your swing speed I would make sure to take into consideration your tempo and how hard you go at the ball. You are right at the point between the two flexes. Also how high do you hit the ball? I needed to lower my ball flight and the 6.5's did that for me. I would definately go with a 6.0 if you tend to have a lower ball flight as the 6.5's will knock it down. How that helps.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yeah that helped alot, i think i am going to go with 6.0 because i also play winter golf alot and there is no way i can swing nearly as hard then as i can now.

I play with 6.0s in my longer clubs and 6.5s in my shorter clubs and wedges.

This may not be for everyone but I thought I'd throw it in there in case you want to consider it?

i have a pretty hard downswing because i dont take a full backswing, i dont get to parrallel i mean. i didn't really like the project x too much. i am actually going to go to another guy to check why swing speed and see what he says. then should i get x stiff in my woods? my 3 wood ss is around 104-108mph

you'd be fine swinging a stiff with a lower torque of like 2.8 - 3.2 for your shaft. Try the Epic shafts from Graffaloy. they're AWESOME when it comes to woods.

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!