IGNORED

Scramble foursome: How would you feel?

Grogger31
Note:Β This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Your boss asks you to play in a scramble tournament at a gorgeous course you've never played before, but have been wanting to. He offers to pay for your entry in.

The day before the tournament he tells you that your group consists of:

1. Yourself (a 15 handicap)
2. Jim (a 4 handicap)
3. Mike (a 30+ handicap)
4. Stephanie (she just started playing ... she'd be an 80 handicap if that was possible)

The tournament has Gross and Net scores and a Mixed division. Each group must use 2 drives from each player.

How would you all feel about that?

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

Sounds like a good time to me!

Stephanie will probably be hitting from the forward tees so if she catches any good.....you'll be sitting pretty. Plan to use the 30+ handicaps on a short par 4 if you find yourself in a position to reach in two after a not so well struck drive. You and Jim could field the rest of the shots. And your boss is paying?! Sweet!

Have a great time man!

Fine, the two drives from ach player thing is the only difficulty. Whatever holes where the two worst players hit good drives take them. With the 4 on your team i bet he could take a 100 yard drive that is in the fairway on a par 4 and still you guys could make par. I have these all the time at my little 9 hole par 30, there is actually a league for it, which is tonight. Still you are playing a beautiful course and try and think about that, even if stephanie and mike are topping everyshot.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I'd be all for it. Obviously your boss likes you so a little time on the course with him/her will earn a few extra "brownie points".

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

Similar thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. My boss knows I really like golf and I am an intern, but he let me go to our company's client golf event. The thing was I didn't have a 4 handicap in my group. I was suppose to be the ringer. But I have been playing crappy the last while. Plus, I have decided that I don't play scramble format well. Moral of the sorrry is go have a good time. Concentrate on you shots as if you were going to play every shot ( I didn't do this). Plus there is proably going to be a couple groups that shoot in the 50s. So, Remember a bad day of golf is better then a good day of work.

In My Bag:
Driver: 907D2 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 13*
5 Wood: 906F2 18*
Irons: : MP-32: 3-PWWedges: : Vokey 54.10 and 60.4Putter: Circa 62 Charcoal Mist Model #6

Harry,

LOL! I actually thought about giving info about Stephanie's looks in the initial post but wanted to see how long before someone brought it up.

Let's just say Natalie Gulbis has nothing to worry about (in game or looks)

If you are conflicted about whether or not you want to do this, I would be happy to take your place.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Is Stephanie hot?

Harry,

I was actually thinking the same thing when I made my post. Wasn't sure how it made any difference in whether to play or not....well wait just a second

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

Your boss asks you to play in a scramble tournament at a gorgeous course you've never played before, but have been wanting to. He offers to pay for your entry in.

yer kidding right? where do i sign up?

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Obviously I'm playing and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. My reason for posting is that I am a BIT disappointed that I wasn't put with a competitive group. I play golf for fun, but also to get better and compete.

To play in a foursome where on pretty much every shot you've only got a chance at 2 decent shots might get a big discouraging. And to help Stephanie looking for her ball in the bramble patch that is 10 feet to the right of the tee box ... and on every other hole ...

Anyway, I'm sure it will be great. I was just curious if anyone else would be even SLIGHTLY bummed.

A bad day golfing beats your best day working.

Plus, you get to at least play a course you've wanted to -- for free. This would be a no brainer for me. This happens at my job every couple of months so I have learned to always keep a pair of shorts, extra socks and all my gear in the car. I will never turn down a free golf outing.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

In a scramble you would be surprised how competitive you can still be. My wife and I were in a best ball tournament (when we were both a lot worse than we are now) which is a bit different but the only reason we lost is we both blew up a single hole at the same time. When net scores were posted there was about a 6 stroke difference between first and last place.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf + Boss = have fun. Sure, being competitive is important, but letting your boss get to know how nice and respectable you are is MORE important.

Remember: "In life, it is not what you know, but who you know."

The more you get to know your boss, the better your chances for advancement combined with a smooth work environment. Plus, a little forgiveness when you make a mistake. People are more likely to let the little things slide if they know that you are a good person with a big heart and a desire to be good. Its much easier to "fire" a faceless name.

But, really. This kind of event is all about the social aspect. Get to know your boss, get to know your boss' family, let them get to know you.

Oh, and free golf? I'm down anytime.

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

No-brainer here. Play.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Obviously I'm playing and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. My reason for posting is that I am a BIT disappointed that I wasn't put with a competitive group. I play golf for fun, but also to get better and compete.

Your boss invited you and is comping your round. Of course he is going to put you in his group.

These things are not competitive anyway. Everyone cheats like hell. They probably sell mulligan tickets. Just have fun. Since it's a scramble, you don't have to help Stephanie find her ball. Anyway, try to use the drives of the 30 and the 80 as soon as possible. Like the first one they hit marginally well that travels at least 150 yards. If you wait too long the pressure is on and then fuggetaboutit!

Note:Β This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!