IGNORED

From the first tee box..

smr91481
Note: This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most of the courses I play at do not have driving ranges so there is no place to warm up. What I usually do is hit 1 or 2 balls from the first tee before I hit my first real shot. There are times when my practice hits are better than my real one, but I play the one I intended on playing anyway.

Anything wrong with this?

What I'm hitting:

XL 5000 set: includes driver, 3 & 5 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid, 6-PW, and sandwedge

If there are people waiting to play, then I would say yes. Depends how busy the course is. But I am not sure you are speaking of etiquette or legality. Please clarify if you could.

I would highly suggest doing other wise. There's a lot of courses that I play at that don't have driving ranges. As long as you get at least 15 minutes to stretch, and 2 - 5 minutes of lightly swinging a club for the feel, you don't really have to go out and hit a small bucket of balls.... at least..this is what I feel. It's nice to be able to get a feel for the day by hitting, but if there's no range, then I wouldn't suggest doing what you're doing... UNLESS the starter's cool with it and there's nobody behind you.

To be honest, anytime that I see someone tee'ing up 3 balls off the tee at any part of the course, it kind of irks me.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Oh let me be a little more specific. I wouldn't even consider doing that if someone was behind me. That would drive me nuts too.

What I'm hitting:

XL 5000 set: includes driver, 3 & 5 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid, 6-PW, and sandwedge

i dont see anything wrong with hitting a few balls off the first tee if no one is waiting....however...i feel that its necessary to stretch before each round. i like to hit balls just for kicks...but you should be sufficiently stretched and loose before your round starts

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

I could care less if you do that, but it is against the rules.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• Administrator
I could care less if you do that, but it is against the rules.

How much less?

It's against the rules, yes. Get some practice balls and stick them in your bag. Hit them before you play, and bammo, you're within the rules and you still get to hit something a few times before you play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it is about whether the course is busy. If the course is not busy, then I would not worry about it. That is a hard one to say though.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

We always play 2 balls off of the first tee......I'm sure if you were in a tournament it would be wrong. But every casual round I play, it's always 2 off the tee on hole 1.
Driver: Sasquatch 9.5 Stiff
Rescue: Mid 3
Irons: 3100i/h (4-S)
Putter: Dual Force
Ball: One Black

We always play 2 balls off of the first tee......I'm sure if you were in a tournament it would be wrong. But every casual round I play, it's always 2 off the tee on hole 1.

Even if people have the next tee time behind you?

I read about other parts of the country where they don't seem to ever have practice facilities attached to the courses. Here in the Denver area, I can't remember the last time I played a course which didn't have a practice area on the grounds. My home course has a huge grass driving range; a chipping, pitching and bunker play practice area; a full lesson tee which is restricted to professional lessons and lesson practice; and a large putting green where only putting is allowed. The sister course in the district has almost the same setup without the special lesson tee, while most of the other courses I play at all have at least the driving range and putting green, and usually a separate chipping green.

It seems to me that someone is missing a moneymaking opportunity at those facilities. I know that the range on my home course fills up every day around noon and they sell dozens of baskets of balls to golfers who practice instead of eating at lunchtime. then again after about 4 PM the range starts to fill up again with guys (and gals) trying to get in a basket before supper. I have literally seen the range filled with a golfer at each hitting station, and someone waiting at nearly every spot. That's about 100 golfers hitting or ready to hit balls.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!