IGNORED

Companies you'll never buy clubs from

Note: This thread is 5766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wilson isn't a real brand? Wilson staffs have been around forever and many consider them fabulous clubs. Ram, I can see that, but Wilson really?

OK maybe I am unfairly biased.

My first set of clubs were hand me downs from my father in law and the irons were all Wilsons. During my first month of practicing on the range the heads of my 3,4,6 and 7 irons went flying while I was hitting balls. (sometimes further than the ball) Now knowing more about the game and my father in law - it is quite possible he had re-glued the heads on himself or left his clubs in the car for months at a time. I just found it embarrassing especially as a newbie when people would see them go flying. Also I won Wilson balls from those hole-in one guys that raise cash for charities on the course. I guess I am not a big fan of titanium balls and it further trashed my impression of Wilson.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to feel that way about MacGregor until they came out with the ProM... they are freaking unreal irons

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I always didn't care for Cleveland, but ended up with a set of their irons in my bag. I like the look and feel of them. Actually I won't even try a club (usually) if I don't like the look of it. As for the look in the entire industry right now, I'm not too stoked about all the colors, inserts, stickers and bling. Gimme a classic look.

I carry and love a Cobra hybrid. And I'm sure I'll offend some by saying this but I always looked at Cobra as a club for busters. And they are one of the worst at loosing their value.

i hate just saying theyre name alone Ping they are "prekaza" as we call it..... i had a set of ping g2's and just nothing went right for me when i got rid of them everything was alright lol call me crazy or superstitious but i just dont like ping...... before a round i dont say the name or talk about them and if i go to edwin watts i wont touch them lol

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

Padriag Harrignton won last years British open using Wilson Staff Pi5.

Wilson is back making beautiful, great performing clubs.

I would never buy a club from those idiotically over-priced japanese blade makers.

nickent. i don't like the green color...that's basically the only reason why other than the name sounds awful.

• Administrator
Wilson isn't a real brand? Wilson staffs have been around forever and many consider them fabulous clubs. Ram, I can see that, but Wilson really?

Please stick to the topic, josh, as the topic is not making fun of people who don't have a lot of historical knowledge about golf clubs, to which end I will say that I think Wilson irons have been used to win more majors than any other name... but not many recently.

Companies I'll never buy from? None. The obvious ones like Knight and Acuity and the counterfeiters and whatnot I guess warrant obvious inclusion, but I don't care if it's Adams, Nickent, Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade, Nike, or whomever so long as they make a quality piece of kit that can help me play better golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't see myself buying nike or ben hogans.

I think that Nike makes the most ugly clubs ever. I can't stare down at that and be confident.

Ben hogan i can't quite put my finger on but i just dont like the look or idea of them, I'm not sure why.

Now to say that I would NEVER buy them is absurd, i couldn't see myself buying them, but if i tried one i liked i would buy it.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

I absolutely despise Callaway golf clubs (not to include Odyssey). Their woods are not so bad, but I hate the look of those overpriced irons. Yuck! I would probably have to say that I wouldn't play Wilson, Cobra, Nike, Adams, Nickent, or anyone else who is not Mizuno, Taylormade, Titleist, or Odyssey. I have never actually hit a Titleist, but I hear such great things about them and so I can not rule them out, but until I wear out my new irons, I won't get one anytime soon. I love Taylormade's woods, but we will see when it comes time to get fitted for something new. I will probably never go away from the Odyssey line of putters. They are so soft and true. But NEVER will I ever play a Callaway.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I will buy from any company. I think you would be selling yourself short if you didn't. I mean, any company out there can have a break through in technology, that can make there clubs superior. I've played Callaways, Titleists, Nikes, Taylor Mades, Pings, Mizuno, Cobra, MacGregor, Adams, Wilsons and most others. If a company makes what I'm looking for, I will check them out.

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

RAM
Affinity
Acuity
Northwestern
Maxfli
Hippo
Dunlop
Any clones
Callaway
Cobra

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

I personally dont consider brands like ram and wilson real brands so they are automatically crossed off.

No offense dude, but I gotta step in here. Wilson is a real golf brand with real heritage. Just because in addition to their higher lines, they also produce golf clubs that are cheaper for the general public doesn't make them a bad brand. The pro stuff they make is very good, and it keeps getting better. Wilson has not in the past spent as much money on advertising and pushing the brand. That is starting to change, and more players are signing with Wilson.

50 major titles to their name, and they have been around for a very long time. Sorry, but I get really peeved with people dissing Wilson. It's just not justified. Not saying you in particular, but it just says someone who makes these claims would rather pay for a name than play the clubs that work the best for them. Don't come running to me when some old guy at your course wins your Nassau playing 1970's Wilson forged blades. Damn good clubs.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Just to note, not trying to rat on anyone or start any arguments. In response to the OP, I'll buy whatever club get the ball to the hole the fastest and is still legal. Plain and simple.

I have absolutely no brand allegiance. I will always blame my swing or my compatibility with the club specs, before I blame the name on the club (barring a defect in the club).
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

This is coming from someone who plays RAMs (but they are the good blades Watson used in 90s), along with the Walmart brands, I am hesitant to buy Nike and Cleveland (other than wedges).

Cleveland makes great wedges...and I actually really like how the CG1s look. But my friend had some Cleveland improvement irons and two of them broke while on the course with me. I tend to think that if they make their cheaper clubs bad, then their good clubs probably aren't too good.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Magregor, Wilson, Ram or any of that cheap crap. I used to despise Nike until yesterday when I fell in love with the sumo2 hybrid. What an amazing club!

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

Nike, Adams, Cobra, are all American Owned.

Nike is a Japanese company.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 5766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!