IGNORED

Why Has David Duval Found His Groove?

RX Phoenix
Note: This thread is 5654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First thing I saw were the SHADES! He finally has found a pair that has the MOJO like back in the day with the Oakleys! Duval without the right shades is like Batman without Robin. The ones he has now look ultra cool and he's feeling it again.

Other possibilities might be:

He's put on weight, lumpy is good for David.
No Tiger, no mental block.
There's A Time Warp At Royal Birkdale.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

There's A Time Warp At Royal Birkdale.

Not likely, considering he's headed for about an 85 today.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

• 4 weeks later...
I wish he could get it together. I followed him a couple of years ago at Riviera and thought he struck the ball so well. I hate always hearing him gush about his family. Sure, the fam is important but he needs to get that fire back under those shades.

He lost it as quick as he found it. I believe he missed the cut in the last event he played.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

Yeah, I didn't know he even found his groove. Couple rounds doesn't count. As far as the shades... hmm, I think he's been wearing them all year. We just don't know it because he's never on TV...

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
David Duval is tied 5th after 2 rounds on the PGA tour-he needs a win and or a top 10 finish and the same again next week to keep his keep his card-i think he can do it-i dont want to see him fade away from competitive golf. I think if he can survive he will have a great season next year...if he does not then the number of events he will be able to play in will be limited and that will be a shame. Its good to see him playing well and showing his children (adopted) the talent he has and where his wealth has come from. I believe he can become a top 10 player again and can win another major easily. Lets just hope that i dont have misplaced optomism here-he can do it.

I'm not going to go as far as to say he can easily win a major, or that he'll be a top 10 player. I think a realistic expectation of Duval would be for him to finish in the top 50 to 75 in the FedEx points list next year. I compare him similar to Davis Love III, a decent player in any given week, but not a huge threat to win week in and week out.

I will say that he is an interesting, and sometimes frustrating player to root for. I have enjoyed watching his career and do hope he can make it back to a point where we at least get to see him play on the weekends.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I wish he could get it together. I followed him a couple of years ago at Riviera and thought he struck the ball so well. I hate always hearing him gush about his family. Sure, the fam is important but he needs to get that fire back under those shades.

I agree with you. It is great that he has a good family life, but he has made it clear that takes total priority over golf with him. He said in an interview that he likes being a "country club golfer"---riding in a cart, playing 18 holes in 3 1/2 hours, no practice before or after, and get right home. This is a clear indication that he no longer has the REAL desire to be anywhere near the top. When there is no "fire in the belly", there are no longer any new trophies on the mantle place.

Here is an interesting local connection with our area in Upstate New York: David's Dad, Bob, is from Schenectady, New York, and the Duvals and the Philos were close. Ron Philo, Sr., is Laura Diaz's Dad--Laura is a star on the LPGA Tour. Another member of this golfing network was Dottie Pepper from Saratoga Springs. I have followed all of their careers and saw David play at the Seven Oaks Golf Course at Colgate University when he was playing with Georgia Tech, and the NCAA Division 1 Eastern Tournament was held at that course. He hit one truly remarkable recovery shot from underneath some trees on the third hole, and hit a low, low punch shot that hooked and rolled up on the green! David has always been "his own person", as people who knew him in school and college have admitted. He used to room with his college coach because NO ONE on the team wanted to be his room mate. People who do not know him can sometimes totally misunderstand him and what he says. He has always had a loyalty to his family, and been a private person, who is not afraid to speak his mind. I wish him the very best, and it seems that he has made "peace with himself" no matter what happens. I always thought that it was peculiar that when he attained the #1 Ranking in the World and won the Open Championship that he then decided to really work out and get in terrific shape, because Tiger did. When you ARE #1, why do you need to copy someone else? Tiger was #2, and you are ahead of him by being yourself. Why change? MAKE HIM change to beat you out for #1. After he did work out, and lost weight, and stopped working on his putting, he was never again the same golfer, and self-doubt and loss of confidence resulted. At least he is over all of that, and seems to be happy.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with you. It is great that he has a good family life, but he has made it clear that takes total priority over golf with him. He said in an interview that he likes being a "country club golfer"---riding in a cart, playing 18 holes in 3 1/2 hours, no practice before or after, and get right home. This is a clear indication that he no longer has the REAL desire to be anywhere near the top. When there is no "fire in the belly", there are no longer any new trophies on the mantle place.

dont forget he got sick with vertigo and never recovered his swing. vj works out religiously it has not bothered him any.

dont forget he got sick with vertigo and never recovered his swing. vj works out religiously it has not bothered him any.

PEZ SEZ: You are right, but Vijay has NEVER said that he just wants to be a country club golfer, which is what David said.

I have always been a DD fan and would love to see him return to form, if that is where he wants to be in life. He seems to have found happiness in family and, for him, that's his reward.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have always been a DD fan and would love to see him return to form, if that is where he wants to be in life. He seems to have found happiness in family and, for him, that's his reward.

You are right, and I am happy for him. He seems to be at peace and is happy with his life.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, does anyone know the clubs Duval will be using next year?...im sure his Nike contract runs out at the end of this season. He might just use a sponsorless bag i suppose but still use Nike equipment.

Someone out there must be willing to give this man a contract?..maybe Adams or MacGregor.....?

Note: This thread is 5654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!