IGNORED

Rangefinders

Note: This thread is 5405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you have (and use) a hand-held range finder?

• I never leave home without it
    • No, they cost too much
    • My course has GPS or lots of yardage markers

Its beacuse a 36 handicapper expects to hit every green and when he/she doesnt they spend an hour wining about the bad shot!

Could slow play be the fault of teachers? I think beginners should be taught course management right from the start. I know some guys who are probably 20s or more and after they have put their drives in trouble they will try to go for the green between tree from 225 out of a bad lie. Most of their rounds are spent

looking for the ball and playing out of poor lies. - On yardage, if they see a marker showing 160 they pull the club they 'think' they can hit that far on the range without considering the lie or the fact that they are in a divot, long grass, down hill to the pin -whatever. The club they try to hit is wrong more often than not, even if they do hit it. I they had been taught to focus on score and play so they don't let bogey slip away, they'd have a much better time and play a quicker round also.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My rangefinder is an integral part of my equipment. I have grown to rely on it a great deal. I find that I use it a lot inside 100 yards so I get exact yardage for the wedge.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I received a Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 as a gift during the recent holidays. It is so easy to use, takes very little effort to get used to it as a part of a pre shot routine and it takes the guess work out yardage questions. Aside from the issue of cost ( because I wasn't going to spend $399 on one ), a rangefinder seems to be, so far, a great accessory for the course.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I'm younger but I more old fashion, probably b/c I learned from my father at a young age how to play golf. I'm kinda against hybrids and against range finders. I'm not saying it's cheating but it takes away from the game.

Kinda like that shitty movie Caddie Shack 2(1st one was quality) where he has that putter.

However, for 95% of golfers, if I'm off by 5-10 and they're exact, they still have to strike the ball, and I'll strike mine better anyway, so if I'm 5-10 off it's alot better for me than them.

I have caddies who will tell the distance so don't need one. All the courses are marked anyway. For $500 I would rather get something else...
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I'm younger but I more old fashion, probably b/c I learned from my father at a young age how to play golf. I'm kinda against hybrids and against range finders. I'm not saying it's cheating but it takes away from the game.

You are on point.

I've played with a half dozen, or so, people who fuss around with their range gadgets them mis the green with regularity. I posted earlier that my pro says, "If you can put a bath towel down range at 165 and hit it consistently with three different clubs, you might be ready for a range finder. Otherwise, find a swing and enjoy the game." BTW - if you feel hybrids are wrong, you probably don't use a titanium driver, right?

I have a rangefinder--one of the less expensive Nikons, and I find it great. What I find it especially good for is the shots that are less than 110 yards. Am I 80 yards from the flag, or 65? Is it 40 yards to carry that trap, or 50?

I find the sprinkler heads, and the tee-box yardages are fine for me for full shots. But I rarely find any yardages marked less than 100 yards from the green, and even if I do, those aren't yardages to the pin--they're to the center of the green. And from less than 100 yards, I'm going for the pin.

And whenever I play with someone who doesn't have one? They want to use it all the time! That's the best endorsement right there!

The greatest golfer in the history of the 1300 block of Patricia Avenue!

Just be aware that the ones will clinometers (slope-adjusted) are not legal for USGA play. The description for Bushnell Pinseeker 150 with slope includes the following:

Note: This item is non-USGA conforming due to its slope feature. If you're looking for a Bushnell rangefinder that is USGA-approved, please see the Bushnell Yardage Pro Pinseeker 1500.

I'm younger but I more old fashion, probably b/c I learned from my father at a young age how to play golf. I'm kinda against hybrids and against range finders. I'm not saying it's cheating but it takes away from the game...

Well, I feel that a hybrid is still a legitimate golf club. After all, metalwoods go back more than 150 years. And, you hold it your hands and swing it. Unlike belly putters.

Don't get me started. As far as the rangefinder, though, I'm with you all the way. I'm not entirely sure I like marked sprinkler heads. I kinda like the idea of looking at the target and thinking: "hhhhmmmm, based on the wind, and it's a little uphill, and how I'm swingin' today...feels like about a six iron.". Erik, you're missing one choice on the poll: "When hell freezes over!".

I don't get your guys (alleged purists) that think that range finders take away from the game. You are all to willing to use the latest drivers, square groove wedges, and golf balls though.

A range finder lets the average player get the same information a pro player gets from his caddy. Range Finders speed up play in my experience which always a good thing. The player still needs to make the shot....

Scott
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

I have become fairly adept at remembering to look for the yardage markers as I walk towards my ball. Although I have drooled over a few range finders leafing through catalogs or at the local pro shop. Could never decide which model to select.

Relying on yardage markers is great if you are happy going for the middle of the greens. Once you get good enough to "flag hunt", you'll benefit from better data. Some greens are very large and there can be a difference of +/- 1 -1.5 clubs more depending on the pin placement. Some greens keepers are not very good at choosing the flag color… I have seen red flags that are almost dead center in the green

I have a range finder I bought for $250 many years ago, so I figure this B&L; model must be going for under $200 now. It is spot on up to 600yds. I have checked it against known distances and GPS units and it is +\- 1 yd. The main benefit of carrying one is learning how far you actually hit your clubs. You also are able to check yardages to various hazards. I have used it to dial in may short game so I know what swing with a given club yields a predictable carry from 10-100 yds. Given what we spend these days on greens fees and equipment, a range finder is a real bargain and no one should be practicing or playing without one, if they take the game seriously. Here's one that costs under $180

I have a Nikon 440 that I find very useful for front/back/pin distances and more specific yardage on par 3's, and especially layups when necessary. I looked around quit a bit and finally settled on something lower priced and have been pretty happy with it. It takes a little bit to get used to as a flag stick on a horizon is difficult to hold the view finder on from 250yds, but once you get the hang of it it's very useful. I find it buids confidence in club selection, but you must take elevation and wind into account as has been mentioned.

I don't have one, but I've looked at a few. I keep wanting the $500 ones, though. And that's too much to spend on a range finder.

I had the Nikon 440 and I forgot it in my cart for 15 min's, went back that quick and it was gone!

It was agreat lit'l tool to speed things up, but it wasn't anywhere near the quality of the Pinseeker 1500 (no slope needed). That's the one on my wish list.
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

Well, I feel that a hybrid is still a legitimate golf club. After all, metalwoods go back more than 150 years. And, you hold it your hands and swing it. Unlike belly putters.

OK Mr. Golf..... You're the golf man!

In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

A range finder lets the average player get the same information a pro player gets from his caddy. Range Finders speed up play in my experience which always a good thing. The player still needs to make the shot....

I wonder how many people carrying a range finder can dial up a yardage, make the necessary wind and elevation corrections and hit the ball consistently within ten yards of the exact yardage they are given. I've only played with a half dozen people using range finders. But for the most part after they stand around squinting at a distant target they miss the green anyway. My take is that a good many range finder purchasers are either gadget junkies or just have money to burn.

I wonder how many people carrying a range finder can dial up a yardage, make the necessary wind and elevation corrections and hit the ball consistently within ten yards of the exact yardage they are given.

Baynative,

How can it ever be bad to know the actual distance to the target?? Regardless of whether or not they can make an accurate shot, I don't see how it is bad for players to know the actual distance to the target. Most players have a general idea how long they hit each club in their bag (if they don't, the range finder will help them sort that out too). So using a range finder at least allows them a better chance to pick the right club. The range finder allows them to make their windage and elevation guesstimates based on the correct yardage. I play to an 18 or so now and I can tell you that my range finder has helped me make more accurate shots. Yes, I still miss the green due to poor swings. but I am closer to the flag than I would be if I were still guessing at the actual yardage to the target. Scott
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

Note: This thread is 5405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!