IGNORED

Camillo Villegas (You kidding me?)

nike_golf
Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

his style kind of ticks me of but i mean he is trying to mae a brand of himself alot of people with equal ofr greater skill than him probalby dont make half as much as him with thier sponcers.

Wht r u tlkng abt? Me no likey jibberish. Me likey corekt spellng!

...I see more people are more on this guys (Villegas) side than the other point of view. And that is fine, but I just point out that what he wears and does isn't needed and to me is show-boating a bit too much. (I find a nice fitting pair of khackis or khacki shorts just fine and a comfortable nike golf shirt to be more than fine. And I also can read a putt just fine crouching on my knees like a catcher in baseball just fine as well, as does 95% of other players).

I too am young (25) and I too, on occasion, get low like villegas for reading putts. If it makes you feel better when going to line up your putt, then whats the big deal? Leave him alone! Same goes for clothing - he doesn't need to wear fitted clothing...but then again - he doesn't need to wear loose clothing either. If he feels more confident wearing it, then so be it!

As I said in my 2nd post on this matter that I'm not bragging and I have no jealousy towards Villegas. None, what so ever...I just think he can wear somewhat "normal" fitting clothing and be just fine, and comfortable. Some of you want to tell me that TIGHT fitting shirts and pants are comfortable? Really? Read that again and try to nod your head, cause I dare you..............

Wow man - it sure does appear to be jealousy to me. And what is 'normal'? And have you actually asked Camillo what his reasons are for his style of clothing? True, none of us will never really know unless he himself answers, but c'mon - you are convinced he wants attention! Sounds like jealousy to me.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could pull off wearing outfits that Camilo or Ian wear I'd do it. In reality the clothing would fit and look just like a sausage casing. Somehow I don't think the golf groupies I see following other groups while at the local munis are suddenly going to follow me until I get more slim. Better start doing some more ab crunches.

Not a big fan of Camillo. He can do whatever he wants and wear whatever but that Spiderman pose thing seems way to contrived to me.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Not a big fan of Camillo. He can do whatever he wants and wear whatever but that Spiderman pose thing seems way to contrived to me.

Good statement right there. Its true, he can whatever he wants, and putt any way he wants.

I just brought up the fact that in my mind he showboats. There is no jealousy involved at all, I just don't like showboats, and the way he does it w/ the whole putting routine just bothers a guy......... And I started the thread getting reaction about a TOUR player and what this TOUR player does and how he acts........ and opinions from anyone who cares to respond...... no hating go on here, just chatting.......... Nothing more..........

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Good statement right there. Its true, he can whatever he wants, and putt any way he wants.

I dont think your hatin'. I agree.

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Camillo's 'style' doesn't bother me. And as for getting low to read a putt, I think it helps... I can't do it spiderman-style but I will occasionally get down in pushup position and take a look.

If I was going to be bothered by someone's 'style' on the course it would be Boo Weekly with his big redneck wad of tobacco and the spitting.

But I'm actually not bothered by that either. Much.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Just wondering if you just do not like Camillo or do you have the same disdain for Tiger who wears a tight bright red mock turtle neck without a collar (which seems pretty far from traditional) on Sundays to show off his physique when he knows everyone is watching.

For me I like both. I just wished Tiger had a little better style although he finally did get pants that fit him a little better.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

I like the J. Lindeburg clothes. If they weren't so expensive, I'd wear those clothes too. Pshh... I'd even break out a couple of Poulters outfits if I had em! Just minus the spiked hair... I can't go THAT far

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

Honestly I'm too lazy to respond to your responses to my responses. lol sorry.
I don't mind you trying to create a topic to talk about but you seemed so close-minded about Camilo so I had to defend him.

Just want to point out that there is a clear distinction between being able to put a good roll on the ball exactly where you want to including getting the distance right, and being able to read a putt. I have a friend who is a great green-reader (he can tell me "putt to this exact spot 2 balls left of the hole" and if I do, it will more than likely go in). He's a pretty good putter but his green-reading ability is quite a bit better than his actual putting. So my final point is, it's inconclusive to mention his putting stats in relation to how well his move helps him read putts.

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

He may wear the clothing that is in style within his native country (Medellin, Columbia) if I remember right. Find a quote of where he said anything along the lines of him being "God's gift to women." Your flaming seems to come from a low self-esteem. Maybe you aren't as in shape or as good at golf as he is and maybe we are a bit jealous? Hmm?

haha I don't think Escobar wore tight shirts like that...

I like the guy though, adds some color to the tour... not everyone can be an american gem like the southern gentleman, Davis Love III

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Really? Are we arguing about this? Wow. I mean, its not like he's wearing assless chaps.

Thats hilarious!

/J6

i15 w/Diamana Blue 9.5
G10 w/Prolaunch Red 17
Raylor 19* 909h 21 MB 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 60* Circa 62 No 7

would assless chaps be allowed? shorts are allowed but since the chaps cover the indecent legs, maybe they are ok

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Actually I think the guy is pretty damn smart for keeping his name in the news. Keeping a sort of buzz about him, even when he has not played that well in many events this year. He keeps those marketing dollars coming in.........

Do you think if Tiger was obese with a mullet that he would be the face of Nike????? NOT

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I think the OP has been unfairly *personally* attacked in this thread for positing a reasonable opinion -- that Villegas is showing off. The truth is no one but Villegas knows. The green crawl does seem a bit excessive, and when you add the heavy-handed fashion sense (he's not alone there by a long shot, admittedly), that excess can be perceived as a contrivance aimed at marketing rather than a necessary approach to green-reading.

But do I care, no. Not yet, at least. If he takes this stuff further, it may begin to bug me, too. The need for these athletes to seek attention in an already saturated media market can lead to a race to the bottom, but Villegas hasn't crossed my personal line in that regard so far.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

6 pages about how he reads greens and what he wears. Kudos Camillo =)

Four 5 Stand Bag Blue   PRO V1X

910 D2 9.5° - Diamana Kal'li 65g S

RBZ Stage 2 15° - Diamana Kal'li 72g S  

913H 21° /  910H 24° - Diamana Kal'li 82g S

710 AP2 6-PW - Dynamic Gold S300SL

Vokey Spin Milled 09  56° &  60° 

#1 White Hot 34" - Ionic Grip

My Swing  

• 3 years later...

Made this for a friend

6959778765_a7436f37f8_b.jpg

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

This article is a few years old, but worth a read.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/camilo-villegas-here-comes-spider-man?page=4

I actually met him at The Canadian Open 4 years ago and he was a nice guy.  He's actually pretty small, but he is in great shape and very friendly.

Look, so many young players have come on tour understanding that there is a real benefit to having a marketable image.  They get more advertising and sponsorship money, which gives them freedom to hire better coaches, trainers, travel first class instead of coach, etc.  Why on Earth would they not take advantage of that?  Look at Rickie Fowler!  I would never in a million years dress like a giant orange popsicle, but do you know how many of those hats Puma has sold because of him, even before he had even won a tournament?  The OP obviously would like to keep the game back in the 80's fashion-wise, but like it or not, and the modern game has some flair and quite a bit of showboating is par for the course since Tiger started his fist-pumping and Natalie Gulbis had her body painted for Sports Illustrated.  To dislike that is a little hard to understand.

Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!