IGNORED

Swing Help please - Critique Me

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all. I am new here and new to golf. I am an ex-baseball player through high school and college, and have picked up golf now.

I don't have enough money for lessons, but I do have free access to my local practice range and course. So I try to play a lot when I am not working.

I am trying to make the proper transition to a one-plane swing. I feel this will be better in the long run. I have already decided I am going to go get fit for a set of clubs, so that's next. But in the mean time I am trying to learn this swing.

I have been using a very upright/over the top swing that has produced decent results, but I have a push/slice tendency. I spent today on the range trying this new one-plane swing and it went absolutely horrible. Hitting things fat, pushing everything. I must still be doing things wrong. I watch lots of online videos and take note on instruction.

Does anyone have any comments on this attached video. I would love to hear what you have to say. I am already aware that there are many flaws. I have analyzed all my videos using computer software. I guess I am just looking for others opinions and comments.

Thanks,

B

Your swing plane is too flat. You should be bringing your hands over your shoulders more instead of 'around' your shoulders.

you look like a tall guy and a flat swing plane is no good for 6 foot + imho.

your hands are clearing your right side near your waist and it should be clearing closer to your shoulders.
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

ps-flat swing planes usually do 2 things to the final shot.

pull left because the plane is too flat
or push/slice right because you are jamming yourself too much and pushing the club through the hitting area.

ps-posture looks great though! feel looks great too! youll be cutting strokes off your game in NO TIME bro!
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

• Administrator
Your swing plane is too flat. You should be bringing your hands over your shoulders more instead of 'around' your shoulders.

Did you read his post? He's trying to do a one-plane swing. In that case, his arms should be roughly equivalent to his shoulders (i.e. "one plane").

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mikelaw, thanks for watching the video.

My plane is a bit flatter because I am going for that on purpose. I certainly don't want it to be too flat, but I know for a fact that my previous swing path was very over the top, but I was finding the best results from this so I just stuck with it.

I feel like that video shows the swing OKAY, but my arms and shoulders don't line up like they should, but the club head hits the original plane to a decent degree.

Unfortunately, the practice range showed that something is way off, because I was hitting the ball so poorly.

My ball placement is generally one ball ahead of center for my irons. Sometimes a bit farther up.

I am going to go to a pro shop and my swing measured out to see what they think.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say, Thanks!

I think the swing plane is to flat even for a one planer. Your arms don't even get up to shoulder level on some of those swings. It looks as if your hands get way behind your right shoulder at the top. That is not a good position for any swing type is it? Your lower body movement looks pretty good. A head on shot would help to see your grip and body lean.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

1) Hip rotation
a) When you rotate your hips you are not turning but lifting up slightly.
b) When you watch you video your knees flex on the back leg will show that you are standing straight and not bent.
c) This will cause you to top balls
d) Practice turn with a club behind your back and watch your knees and make sure when you turn that the flex on both knees are the same.
e) When you turn put more weight on the inside of your backfoot.

2) Swing plane
a) Try swinging more upright
b) Place a club on the ground in line with your target.
c) take your backswing and have your club parallal with the ground and in line with the club on the ground, the toe of the club should be pointing up.
d) now break your wrist and take the club up.
e) Watch some video on swing plane on the internet.

once you get your swing down you won't lose the shirt on your back next time.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

If you do make your plane a little more upright (although if you are trying for one plane you probably won't) don't overdo it. After posting my own video, all I heard was how I take the club sooooo inside, etc etc. Now I can no longer hit a draw and I'm trying to correct an over the top move. This is my fault of course, but just be caureful of what and how much you correct.

I've been watching many swing videos of pros, while most of them are right on plane, a lot of them are not - and when they're not they tend to be a little under the plane on the takeaway, i.e. a bit inside. None of them are outside. Well you know, Furyk aside.

KS, thank you for your comments. My dad used to always tell me I don't drive with my hips enough. In golf and in baseball.

I know I need to learn to rotate the hips, does anyone have any analogy or drill that might help me rotate them instead of just simply pushing and raising them through? And you assessment of me topping the ball is correct. I have found that I do that in my new swing. I actually try to really post on my front leg on the down swing, should I have a more neutral weight? I find it hard to make a good divot, so I feel that swinging down is better if I am going to achieve this.... maybe not. Bryan
1) Hip rotation

Not only do you have the same name as I do, but the same problem(s).
that was fixed last evening during a lesson.

you really need to do something to earn the $$ for lessons. thats bottom line.

Hey bologna,

I've watched that video about 20 times over the past 2 days. Haha! I've also been taking a look at Moe Norman videos. I think my problem (one of many) with my current setup/swing/equipment is that the lie of the club is "heel-down" in my current set up. The club, which I believe is standard needs a slightly higher swing arc.

I think if I keep the arc of my swing equal to what the club should be, I will have better results. Also, I need to learn to keep my hips level and rotate better.

Also, it isn't that money is an issue to take lessons - I work full-time/live alone/low expenses - but I'm just trying to save for something expensive, involving a special woman in my life.

Thanks to all for your comments!

B

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!