IGNORED

Google Earth and Golf

Mr.Buckethead
Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been a little bit obsessed with Google Earth lately. I always used it to get yardage approximations but now I find myself logging in 3-4 times a day.

I have a tournament coming up this weekend ( a flighted city tournament) and keep mapping out my shots for each hole.

Anyone else addicted?

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

I am... I get on there and measure drives after every round. I also use it to map out carry distances and such on courses im about to play.

In the Ogio stand bag

909 D2 w/ VooDoo S
15.5* 906F4 w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S
3DX DC 3 HybridFP 4-GW56* and 60* Vokey SM wedgeSophia putter

Hmm. Very interesting. I think I'm going to try this out.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

I just went there and measured the 1st hole on the course where we play our Wednesday night league and found something interesting. The card and sign say 219 yards. Google Earth show 234. That explains why I often come up short. Well...that and my sh@#y swing.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I swear by Google Earth. Incredibly detailed resolution (for most courses in my area anyway) and very accurate results from the yardage ruler/tool. I spend several hours mapping out new courses and making notes before playing them. I definitely think it has shaved strokes off my rounds.

Bill

I just went there and measured the 1st hole on the course where we play our Wednesday night league and found something interesting. The card and sign say 219 yards. Google Earth show 234. That explains why I often come up short.

That made me laugh,,nice man, I feel the same about mine, hahahaha.

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff
.......CLK FLI-HI 3(20*) & 4(23*) Hybrids
.......4-PW MP60 DGSL 300's Stiff SVT 52* Wedge Vokey Spin Milled 54* Wedge CG10 Black Pearl 60* Wedge XG White Hot #1 Putter ProV1, Prov1x, NXT Tour Aerolite III Stand

Thanks for the fyi on this...

I did a couple "path's" and it was almost exact to the yardage..pretty cool tool.

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff
.......CLK FLI-HI 3(20*) & 4(23*) Hybrids
.......4-PW MP60 DGSL 300's Stiff SVT 52* Wedge Vokey Spin Milled 54* Wedge CG10 Black Pearl 60* Wedge XG White Hot #1 Putter ProV1, Prov1x, NXT Tour Aerolite III Stand

stupid question but how do you get yardage off of Goggle Earth, I just went there and couldn't figure it out....(I know I need Goggle Earth for Dummies )

In the toolbar there's a button with a ruler icon - click it and it'll bring up a window that will display the distance between any 2 points that you click on the map.

Bill

Cool idea!

Too bad that 290 yard drive I hit last week turned out to be 255. :o\

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

I made a yardage book for a course on google earth.

That was back before I had a baby and had way too much time on my hands.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Holy mother, just tried it out that thing is sweet!

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Holy mother, just tried it out that thing is sweet!

Man .. you can say that again. Incredible!!

Sadly for me, parts of my home course was under construction when these satellite pics were taken (course is a year old), but most of it is well mapped. The ability to zoom close, rotate the angle, etc. is just fantastic. I'm going to add a whole load of yardage info to the standard yardage book ... WOW! //Anand PS. On a slightly related point, there are some big privacy issues here in the UK right now regarding all these Google Earth vans parked outside people's home, happily snapping away front doors, etc ... They're creating a treasure map for burglars and other criminals.

--
Tee it high, let it fly!

MP-600, Fujikura E360 Stiff
Hi-Bore 1i, 2i, Stiff MP-57, DG S300 52.08, 56.08., 60.07 FISHER GOLF - CTS-1 Burgandy Insert ProV1

I am using this at the moment and making yardage books for all the courses I am planning on playing soon but haven't played yet. Great idea it works perfect!
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I use it religiously. Only problem I've found is some of the courses (areas in central Illinois) haven't been switched to hi-res which makes it almost impossible to map. I usually end up on mapquest or windows.live. and using Google earth to give me a scale on two obvious objects or roads. Not exact but better than nothing. The info and abilities on hi-res courses is outstanding. A lot of fun for measuring drives - also great tool for getting lines on cutting blind doglegs.
Callaway Hyper-X Tour: 9.5
MacGregor MT: 15
MacGregor MT: 18
KZG ZO's: 3-PW
Scratch JLM: 53, 58Snake Eyes 'best cheap putter' fired my Cameron and Mills!Srixon Z-Star X

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!