IGNORED

Do YOU watch The Golf Channel very often?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the Big Break is a great show. Highway 18 on the other hand is a bit gimmicky. But as far as the channel all together, they do need more instruction, like the old days with Golf Channel Live and such. I guess Monday night is instruction night now. Personal lessons are ok, but not too personal for me. I watch the Golf Channel everytime my wife lets me!

They used to have the show "Playing Lessons", and they had Gary Player (2 parts), Laura Diaz, Fred Couples, Nick Faldo, etc., where they had the cameras follow them around the course. It was interesting to see different ways they visualized shots and gave tips on course management, playing in the wind, etc. I taped several of them, along with "Golf Academy" with Jim Flick, and still watch them. Finally, I really like Jim McClean's show where he analyzed the swings of Golf Greats like Sam Snead, Jack, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, and had someone imitate their swings. Is that show still shown?

As you can tell, I definitely seldom watch the network any more so I have to ask people what is currently on. It is too bad. In my opinion, it was fun and interesting to watch and is not any longer. I refuse to watch the Seniors play, the Nationwide Tour, or a show like "Big Break". And what about the John Daly reality show where he asked his young son to go and get him a beer while they were on the plane IN THE MORNING? They could have edited that out. My friends and I have come up with some ideas for better programming, and I actually submitted a formal proposal to them on one of them. They took the concept, applied one little part of it, looked stupid doing it, and then dropped it. Remember when they used to ask each other a question, and then rang a bell if they knew the answer? We called it "Ding Dong Golf", and laughed our heads off. It did not last long. Remember poor Megan West, who had the shrillest voice in TV broadcast history. Before her "contract was not renewed", we asked ourselves, "How did she get this job? Who did she know?" Any way, enough dumping on them. I seldom watch the channel anymore, and like it when I can watch a tournament broadcast on another network so I do not have to listen to Kelly Tilghman. The management of that network really needs to be changed if they want someone like me to watch again.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

All things considered, I think that the Golf Channel is great all around. There are shows that I'm not that big on, but for the most part I watch it quite a bit.
I think the Thurs and Fri coverage of the golf is awesome. The fact that I am able to watch the 1st and 2nd rounds in the evening, is priceless. I also like the Post game coverage, and the seemingly non-stop coverage during the majors. I also like the 19th hole, and whatever that Andrew Magee show is called.
Not real big on this new show, where they race.
Someone mentioned Peter Kessler. I don't miss him. I like pretty much all of the commentators/analysts that they have now.
As a whole, I like the way they're doing things these days on the Golf Channel.

After Peter Kessler left and with the closing of The Big Break II, I have not watched TGC with any regularity at all. I don't particularly care for the announcers and studio personalities, although I've seen worse from other networks over the years. They are like ESPN; the only game in town with no other like-network to give any competition.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator
They used to have the show "Playing Lessons", and they had Gary Player (2 parts), Laura Diaz, Fred Couples, Nick Faldo, etc., where they had the cameras follow them around the course. It was interesting to see different ways they visualized shots and gave tips on course management, playing in the wind, etc.

They still air them. The quality's gone down this year with the "green" theme and Stephanie Sparks or a mini-celebrity, though. The old ones are great. I still have 25 saved on the DVR.

19th hole is fine. Highway 18 and Big Break are fine. The Turn sucks. Infomercials pay the bills. And that's about it. I don't watch much TV, but a fair portion of the TV I do watch is Golf Channel: 19th hole, BB/H18, early round coverage (rarely), and sometimes the Postgame Show if something's happened. "Live from" I usually watch a little of as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get up with on,eat with on,and sleep with on!My favorite is the Top 10's.

In My Weekender Bag
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 9.5
Irons: Big Bertha 96's 2-pw-sw
Wedge: Forged X-Tour 58*
Putter: White Hot Tour Putter #1Ball: e6+14 Years old

Agree with many of the statements already made. Too much 'golf NEWS,' too many infomercials, too much 'talking' and not enough ACTION!

I feel the same way.

I cannot stand Inga. If I have to see another Sky Caddie, F2 Wedge or Bobby Jones infomercial, I will have projective vomiting onto my Plasma TV. I like Playing lessons from the Pros and the Turn. I would like to see more Shell Wonderful World and the Videos done by Bobby Jones. I also like Jim McLean's commentaries on the swings of various classic golfers (like Ben Hogan, etc).

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

They still air them. The quality's gone down this year with the "green" theme and Stephanie Sparks or a mini-celebrity, though. The old ones are great. I still have 25 saved on the DVR.

I think the mixed responses to this thread, and the opinions made to me by my "golfing buddies" substantiate two points:

1. The overall quality of the programming on The Golf Channel "ain't what it used to be". 2. Many avid golf fans who used to watch The Golf Channel seldom tune in any more. I am glad that ESPN2 has picked up many of the LPGA tournaments. If the people who work there say their ratings are up, I simply find that hard to believe. If they have the reports done by bona fide rating agencies, then I obviously have to accept them, but they have NOT done surveys in our area or they would conclude the opposite.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!