IGNORED

A pro bet me he could beat me with 6iron only?

kafka01
Note: This thread is 5691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Pro with only 6iron against my bag of goodies - who wins?

• Pro
    • Me

Iv'e already posted on page one, but a 6 iron seems like BS to me. An 8 iron would be the better choice.

Yep, the hustler who offered me the bet was going to use an 8 iron, which by delofting could turn into a 5 iron and hit 220, or by opening it up turn it into a PW.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I played a threesome of kids trying out for the golf team a few years ago with nothing but a five iron. Even hit it into a bunker, and I can lay the face open and swipe across it to loft the ball pretty high. Was the last four holes. Shot +1. Beat all three quite easily.

And I'm not a pro, and these guys were about nine handicaps.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played a threesome of kids trying out for the golf team a few years ago with nothing but a five iron. Even hit it into a bunker, and I can lay the face open and swipe across it to loft the ball pretty high. Was the last four holes. Shot +1. Beat all three quite easily.

Really? Wow man, nice. Even without a putter? I don't know how I'd use an iron to putt the really long ones lol...I guess you could chip them.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• Administrator
Really? Wow man, nice. Even without a putter? I don't know how I'd use an iron to putt the really long ones lol...I guess you could chip them.

No, you blade 'em. I've said before and I'll say again: I practice putting occasionally with a sand wedge because it forces you to stay pretty still to really hit it on the equator and the center (of the leading edge).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Boo Weekly broke his putter at the PODS Championship this hear and putted with a sand wedge for 16 holes I think. He used the same stroke as a putter and putted pretty damn good the 3 holes we followed him, missed the cut though, I'm pretty sure. I putt with the SW once and a while on a casual round, or if I am out of the hole in a friendly match, manage to hole a few 15 footers every now and then.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

If you don't win it's pathetic. I could understand if he was using a 6 iron and putter, but him having to put with a 6 iron? lol.

I think you may be surprised at how many golfers can putt with a PW, hybrid, 3 wood, LW just as well as with a putter; or, any other club for that matter. Did I mention driver?

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

I agree with what was said before....what kind of "pro" is he? Tour Pro= noway I take that bet. Local Golf course pro= I would take my chances. Whats the story with how this bet came about?

It's surprising just how well you can play with just one club, even more surprising how well you putt with an iron.

When I was a kid myself and three mates the same age (we all ended up going through the NSWPGA apprenticeship scheme) used to go out to the course we were members of every second Thursday afternoon and play "call the hole". You could only use one club, which one was up to you and you could only bring one ball and it was a couple of dollars each winner takes all.

How it worked was, we'd meet on the first tee and toss to see who got to "call". The winner would then call which green we were playing to, so from the first tee we might be playing to the third green. Whoever had the honour after the hole was completed got to pick the next tee location (could be from a greenside bunker or a nearby tee) and they got to pick the green we were playing to. If you lost your ball, it was over for you - otherwise you kept playing until 9 "holes" were completed and added up the score and the winner got the cash.

There was some strategy involved if you had the call, I always took an 8 iron so I tried to work out where we were going based on my best chances with that club, the other guys took 5 irons, 7 irons etc so they would try to pick "holes" that suited them. Keeping in mind that the course had a fair bit of water on it and you only had one ball so with an 8 iron it was pointless picking a hole with a 175 yard carry from the tee.

So, if you are a 12 handicapper and wanted to play me over 9 holes off the stick and I only got to use one club, make sure you don't start bogey - double because I'm probably going to beat you.

Roy McAvoy qualified for the U.S. open by parring the back 9 after breaking everything but his 7 iron so my money's on the pro.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

Curious - how come the pro challenged you to this match?

Actually yes - he said something in the clubhouse (i dont remeber exactly anymore) and i said i smell a bet coming up and there we were

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Okay his hcp is nowhere near +6 (i would say between scratch and 2) and he is a teaching pro with good length in his shots.

Yeah that is a friendly bet, and actually i try to get more people involved betting on this just to have a little bit of fun.

I understand that he can put with irons so thats probably not where my edlge will be.

Nevertheless - i will let you guys know how we finished, thx for your input.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW

My money is defo on the pro, why, on par 5s I always hit a 5 or 6 iron ( If I want to have a respectable card ) on par 4's it 's a 6 iron again to steer clear of greenside bunkers and then chip on. from 60 yrds I use a 6 or 7 iron punch unless I need to carry a hazard.
Only a fool would think his big 460 cc driver gives him an edge in this contest.

Roy McAvoy qualified for the U.S. open by parring the back 9 after breaking everything but his 7 iron so my money's on the pro.

Wasn't Roy a multi-talented sports star? Like Deion Sanders and Danny Ainge... wasn't he a pro pitcher as I recall and dated a movie actress, right? Or am I thinking about a different guy?

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

I'd say go for it. He'll do good with only a 6I as he can probably hit good long and approach shots, but using that thing to putt won't be easy.

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

This is an old gamblers come on, he expects to up the bet, or he expects your self imposed pressure to keep you from playing yor best, he is confident enough opponents, not all will fold, at least enough to keep him in the money. Just like in poker it is not the odds or logic only but the ability to put pressure on an opponent that influences the outcome.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

My money is defo on the pro, why, on par 5s I always hit a 5 or 6 iron ( If I want to have a respectable card ) on par 4's it 's a 6 iron again to steer clear of greenside bunkers and then chip on. from 60 yrds I use a 6 or 7 iron punch unless I need to carry a hazard.

Yeah you are right - my driver wont be my edge, i use that thing only 3-4 times a round anyways and normally 3wood off the tee since there is no need for something else (parkland style course where you got to bring your ball alot in position). And yes, if he closes down his 6iron hitting a slight hook i´m sure he can hit it 190 - 200m - but that can send his ball off line since controlling these kind of shots is not so easy.

I really think my advantage is around the green - lets be for real here - if he hits 100 % of GIR with a 6iron - congrats, but that wont happen and he will have lots of nasty chips and pitches and that aint easy with a 6iron. Personally i think it is close and if he thinks he can move me out of my monetary comfort zone during the round - yeah - i dont think so ...

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW

Note: This thread is 5691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!