IGNORED

Getting up and down around the green?

ks8829
Note: This thread is 5770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I need to improve my percentage of getting up and down around the green.
What do most of you use when chipping around the green?

a) only one club.
b) more than one club depending on the distance to the hole and same swing.
c) different swing for different situations.
d) others.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I am currently getting up and down only 40% of the time and my goal is to improve that to about 80% and become more consistent. This improvement could possibly cut 4 strokes off my round of golf.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

There are a couple different schools of thought here - play around the green with mostly one club and learn to use it various ways or play with several clubs depending on the situation. The pros normally subscribe to the latter. I fall into the former category (note that it says "mostly" one club, not "exclusively" one club).

I use my 60 degree for most shots around the green and manipulate it to get the desired trajectory and roll that I want. I have the following shots:

- Slow takeaway, slow downswing for higher, soft chip that runs out just a little. This is especially good for a crappy lie in thick rough; I just make sure I grip the club tighter. Clubface square to slightly open.
- Flop shot. There are various degrees of this depending on carry distance and how high you need it to go over a bunker lip or how quick you need it to stop. Swing speed and how far you open the club face would dictate this.
- Pitch & run. Just had a pro friend of mine teach me this a few weeks ago. It's best used when you have just a few feet of rough or apron to get over and you want it to roll out. Grip down 4-5 inches on your 60 degree with the toe down (heel up), stand really close to the ball and make putting motion.
- Pitch & stop (or trickle more likely for me). Best for carrying a swale or lots of rough but stopping it before another swale or more rough, etc. Square to closed face, ball back of stance, more descending blow to pinch off turf.

Obviously there are times when I do use a 56 degree or hybrid (stuck against cut of rough), but I've gained so much confidence by practicing with the 60 degree that, even if it's not the most popular choice for a shot, it's the best choice for me. And no matter what you choose, you'll have to practice the hell out of it to gain that confidence. I think that's how I ended up with just one go-to club.....I'd be practicing with my 60 degree and 45 minutes later my sand wedge is still laying on the ground and it's time to go.

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

I have many shots

Pin Is Close to me but I'm off the green: Take out a 54* Deloft it and really attack the pin- I go for the chip in on this one.

Pin Is Far: either a 7 or 8 iron and let it just run right up.

Pin is Middle: Depending on the slope of the green and Illl either bump/run with a 54* or just pitch it on.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

58* for all types of shots around the green. Includes (but not limited to ) chips, pitches, bump-n-runs, flops, bunker shots, etc.... One club all the time.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

I think the lie, the position of the ball in relation to the green, whether or not there are obstacles ( like a bunker, deep rough, etc. ) between the ball and the green as well as whether or not the green is tiered and where on that green is located the pin dictate to some degree the type of club and swing one may wish to use in order to get the ball close to the hole.

Some teachers advocate using the same wedge to hit all shots around the green, others, like David Pelz suggest that every club in the bag has a short game purpose. I watch people like Tiger Woods, who use different clubs for different types of short game shots, and I admire not only their results but also the creativity they use in choosing different clubs the for specific purposes and results they wish to achieve.

For example, I may wish to use a higher lofted club to achieve a high shot over a bunker to a pin to which I've short sided myself. While I could get over the bunker with a pitching wedge, I may choose my 56 degree wedge in order to create spin enough to stop the ball when it lands near the hole, which I might have difficulty doing with a pitching wedge.

On the other hand, if I'm a few yards off the green with a relatively straight shot at the pin located at the back of the green, no obstacle, but far enough off that I would not putt the ball, I might choose a 7 iron so that I can use a very short, easily contollable stroke, keep the ball low, land it on the green with enough top spin that it rolls to the hole.

Or, if my ball is on hardpan by an elevated green, I may wish to use a wedge with a very low bounce in order not to skull the shot.

Each of these examples illustrates the idea that diiferent clubs may have specific short game uses. I'm sure there are other ideas, but these make some sense to me in theory as well as practice.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

• Administrator
Some teachers advocate using the same wedge to hit all shots around the green

I prefer this method. I'm using my 54 almost exclusively now, only occasionally using the 60 when I really need a lot of loft.

Stan Utley said to, so I do. And it's working out much better. So much more predictable.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I prefer this method. I'm using my 54 almost exclusively now, only occasionally using the 60 when I really need a lot of loft.

yeah, i've switched to this as well. just with my 56* for almost everything. 60* if i have no green to work with

lower scores, been getting up and down most of the time now

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I use my PW almost exclusively. On occasion, I will putt with my hybrid from fringe, if I have to carry more than 18 inches of it or so.

This statement is for shots within about 25 yards of the green, including bunkers. 25-50 yards I use my 56*.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

Considering my thread, What I've Learned This Summer, perhaps I need to become more intimate with my 56 degree club.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Note: This thread is 5770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!