IGNORED

Bandon Dunes - played today

Note: This thread is 5748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Followed recommendations from members of the forum in planning my trip.
Everything said was dead onand correct except.........NO traffic on US 101!!!

From Portland took the day to drive to Florence, Oregon. Nice farms and wineries along the way. Some moderate traffic in Lincoln City. Nice viewing points of the coast along the way. Most had one to three cars in the parking areas.

Played Sandypines in Florence. Very nice and fun course to play. Not very busy. In great shape and very friendly staff. Periods of fog and full sunshine made it interesting. Both my wife and I liked it a lot.
Florence is another small cute town

Drove to Bandon and made a stop in Cape Arango. Spectacular views.
No traffic on US 101. Did 45-60mph without any problem. I was very concerned because I was told several times to prepare for horrible traffic. A local explained that the difference is the absent trailers and motorhomes due to fuel prices. They say they were responsible for the heavy traffic on the long one lane segments of the road.
Started playing at Sandypines at 11am. and was in Bandon by 6:30pm.

Bandon Dunes is amazing. We were fortunate and played one day with full sun, cool temps and slight wind. The second day it was cloudy, cool and 10-15 mph winds. Everything is expensive but facilities and service are top notch. Caddies are almost a necessity and very helpful for reading greens, blind shots and local knowledge. They will sometimes tell you to hit in a certain direction which seems totally wrong but..............they are always right.They know the wind and how a hole plays with the wind direction to perfection. Our caddie had been with the resort for 9 years and had carried for 13 days straight including several double carry days
If you love golf, saving the money and spending a few days is a must at some point in your life
Bandon (the town) is small, cute and has several good (and much cheaper) restaurants than the resort. it is only 10-15min to town.

Sounds like a great expierience. I'm planning a trip out to Bandon next summer and I'm already way too excited about it.

Never up, Never in!

580xd 8.5* factory shaft
3DX Hybrids 14*, 17*
X Tours 3-PWVokey 52* and 60* Callie putter (for now)

I've always wanted to play there. How did you shoot? My Boss's Boss played there and hated it, but he doesn't care for links golf. Sounds like you enjoyed it. Do you need to play a different game there, he said up and down did not work, the greens would not hold anything. I think he's just not a links player. your thoughts...... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

I have yet to make it out there but plan to spend a few days there in January....yes, January.
In the Bag:
TaylorMade R11TP Driver
TaylorMade R11TP 3 wood (15.5)
Mizuno MP 63 3-PW
Vokey 52Vokey 56TAD MOORE Pro1P

I've always wanted to play there. How did you shoot? My Boss's Boss played there and hated it, but he doesn't care for links golf. Sounds like you enjoyed it. Do you need to play a different game there, he said up and down did not work, the greens would not hold anything. I think he's just not a links player. your thoughts...... jmoc

I would be certain that those that dislike the golf experience at Bandon are very much in the minority.

Without a doubt, it is different that the average, white bread, overgreened/overwatered/soggy golf courses most Americans are used to playing. There are three different courses by three different architects (a 4th course in in construction). Hard to believe there wouldn't be something to like but I understand it's not for everybody. I think Bandon has introduced a much needed paradigm shift to American resort golf. Can you imagine - "walking ONLY!" For sure Bandon Dunes is on my "must play" list.

Played Sandypines in Florence.

Sandpines Glad you had a good time. The way I played this morning on my little 9 hole home course, it will be a while before I fork over the dough for Bandon

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Sounds like a amazing trip think one time there should be a sand trap tourney and see how many show up lol.

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

Next summer, I'd show up..

This sounds kind of fun... but how about this coming January when the in-state rates are only $75?

It would even save you non-oregonians a whopping $165 off summer fees. http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/green_fees.cfm Yeah, it's more likely to rain - but the temps don't vary much more than 10 degrees year round.

What's in my bag:

I remember on a par three facing the ocean on the front nine, that caddy tells me, aim there. "There", was 40 yards right of the green. I thought, you gotta be kidding me. That was fun.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My wife and I are not great players but still had a great time.
I broke 100 both days (did not break 90) and my wife shot her lowest score ever (88) and wanted to leave me and move in with the caddie:)

Sorry about the experience your boss had. I think that things that would make it a bad experience would be, bad weather, the cost and if you have expectations of shooting the best scores ever.

My experience:
1. They are links courses. Tight lies in the fairway and little difference between fairway and greens. Nothing like you play at home.
2. We had great weather but you could have drizzle and 15-25mph wind all day. The courses are very fair in good weather. If bad, weather............trust the caddie
3. We were matched with great couples both days. That also made the experience great
4. We played early in the morning (9am) which gave us the afternoons to get to the parks and cute towns in the area.
5. Spectacular views even when foggy
6. Great practice facility.
7. Pacific Dunes is prettier but tighter. Bandon Dunes is wider and not difficult in good weather.

When in Florance I much perfer Ocean Dunes to Sand Pines. IMO its tougher and you have to play it 3 or 4 times before it doesn't "homer" you, (really like those types of courses); I found that the 1st couple of times there to either play to the 150 marker or top of the hill. Sand Pines is better kept, again IMO.

There is another course about 5 miles south of Bandon, Bandon Crossings, very good course and about a quarter of the price of BD. It is independent of BD and the BD caddies will play there.

I played Ocean Dunes last year and it was a bargain! For my buddy and I it was $60 total with a cart! I found it suited my game pretty well, I'm not long - but often very straight. It's a shortish course with mostly tight narrow fairways. I would say that you are a long hitter you really don't even need driver there. They were right in the middle of a change of ownership/operation when I was there, so I don't know how things might have changed in the last year.

Haven't played Sandpines as it is a little out of my budgetary comfort zone @ $110

What's in my bag:

Note: This thread is 5748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!