IGNORED

Fortress Wie---what went wrong.

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I grow tired of Michelle Wie threads but have one comment. She is obviously a great talent. Also, obviously she doesn't have the mental capablities to be overly successful on the LPGA tour yet, you'll notice I said yet. I think eventually she will figure it out. I don't think she will ever be mentally tough enough to be a world beater like Annika, Lorena, or Tiger but she will have some success.

I do wish she would stay away from the PGA Tour. I mean she's like a side show freak now. People used to go to watch her play in PGA tournaments to see her possibly make a cut and make history. Now she is merely there for the entertainment value of watching her totally blow up and look like a fool. Its kind of sad that noone in her corner realizes that. But as Iacas noted earlier we are in no position to point out any mistakes.

I used to be a Wie hater and my feelings have changed a little. I still don't like her but I kinda feel sorry for her a bit. (Silly feeling sorry for an 18 year old with millions in the bank) She has had a rough go of it. Some of the criticism is warranted but some is not. We tend to forget that she is still a teenage girl.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lack of maturity.

Lack of respect.

Lack of interest on my part.

She's got a lot of growing up to do. I don't feel like we'll ever see her live up to her potential in the game because she won't allow herself to do so.

Her behavior reminds me of that of spoiled little brattish childeren who get whatever they want regardless of whether or not they earned it.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Where ya been?

Yeh but she chose not to qualify because she wanted to play the mens event instead

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Lack of maturity.

name me 1 athlete (superstar at that) past, present, and future who at the age of 18 hasn't or has to grow up and mature as you stated

name me 1 athlete (superstar at that) past, present, and future who at the age of 18 hasn't or has to grow up and mature as you stated

Here are some examples from the past and present: Jack Nicklaus, Bobby Jones, Arnie, Gary, Annika, Paula Creamer, Juli Inkster, Mickey Wright, Inbee Park, Alexis Thompson. Here are some who showed immaturity and bad judgement, in my opinion: Carmello Anthony (arrested for DWI this past season), Barry Bonds (he is still immature), Jeremy Shockey (formerly of the New York Giants), Michael Vick, Bobby Knight (thank God he retired and removed himself from the active coaching ranks). My point is this: some people show maturity at a young age, and some NEVER mature. Michelle will get better, and you know why?---------circumstances are FORCING HER TO DO THAT. As her Dad said, "We have run out of options now." She has been through a difficult period, and has a tendency to blame others or other causes---remember her comment last year about the Rule Book---that it is not exactly interesting reading? What is that all about? No wonder she failed to sign her scorecard a couple of weeks ago. Who gets the blame for that? The Rule Book, or the player who knew the rule and failed to obey it?

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Sunningdale is definitely not Birkdale. It's a heathland course, with quite a few trees about. Sandy but not rocket-fast. Yes, a bit tight (so huge drives may not be the best order of the day) but the wind won't be the factor it was in Lancashire. Probably not a million miles away from Canadian conditions, although Canada may well be warmer.

One of my favourite courses, as it 'appens.

Annika, Paula, Julie were not as highly regarded coming onto the tour as Wie was? no where near her status, and your other examples like Jack, Arnie etc... was a totally different era and time in life when things were different and the athlete wasn't as pampered as they are today....

the only problem with Wie is, she has fallen into the Press clippings as the next best thing since sliced bread (as given to her by the Press)....I have never heard her say that she was the best or going to be the best on Tour, that label has been made up by others and held against her imho...people are WAY TO HARD on her and her family imho....and I'll say it again, nothing her and her family has done is anything that nobody else would have done as well.

Annika, Paula, Julie were not as highly regarded coming onto the tour as Wie was? no where near her status, and your other examples like Jack, Arnie etc... was a totally different era and time in life when things were different and the athlete wasn't as pampered as they are today....

I agree with you AND I disagree with you. Yes, some of the names are from a different era when growing up and the pressures of "celebrity status" were different. You are correct. However, Paula Creamer is of "this era" and she and her Dad have handled high expectations and fame pretty well, in my opinion. And they do not have a family history of professional golf, I believe. He was an airline pilot and got transferred so she could further her junior amateur career. He has been very protective of her, especially when she got the label of "can't miss". Do not forget---she skipped college golf and turned pro right after high school. That is a big jump, with the possibility of failure written all over it. Now, SOME people in the media and elsewhere harp on the fact that she has NOT yet won a Major. Give her a break. She has time. This is a different era, and I have seen it with my son, and other young golfers in this area. Some parents are so convinced that their son or daughter can become a professional athlete that they put intense pressure on their child, and then "burn out" results, or injury ends the youngster's athletic "career", or they find out their child is good, but just not "good enough". Michelle and her family have been subjected to extraordinary pressure and the limelight because of her proven talent. Could my wife and I have done better? I believe so, because of the way we handled my son. Will we ever know for sure. NOPE. I agree with many here who have said the subject of Michelle has been "beat to death". She is playing in Reno and then the Canadian Open. Her future will be decided by her scores on the course, and that is the way it should be. I will not make any further comments about her until after those events are over and her results are posted. Let her play, and we will witness what does happen.

I have never heard her say that she was the best or going to be the best on Tour, that label has been made up by others and held against her imho...

She did say something along the lines of 'I don't think I've got anything to learn from a women's event about how to play on the men's tour'. That when she elected to play a PGA Tour event rather than LPGA.

At best, a hostage to fortune. At worst, asking for trouble - which has arrived, in spades. She may get better in the future - there is room for improvement - or she may go off and do something else entirely. Time alone will tell.

She did say something along the lines of 'I don't think I've got anything to learn from a women's event about how to play on the men's tour'. That when she elected to play a PGA Tour event rather than LPGA.

I agree with you.

As far as 'what went wrong' here is my answer. She never learned how to win. I don't have her career stats, but I can't ever remember her winning anything that sticks out. I think she did well in the mens public links or won the womens -- something like that. I am sure she won some notable junior events when she was pre 16, but has she won anything since? She has just been touted as the next great female golfer, but she has done nothing in my mind to deserve that (anyone remember Ty Tryon?). I'm all for competing against better competition, but shouldn't you at least be bored with dominating the current level first?

Compare that to Tiger Woods. He won countless junior events, the US Junior 3 times, the US Amateur 3 times (all 6 in consecutive years), and an NCAA title. That is 7 major accomplishments before he turned pro. What happend when he turned pro? He just kept winning because he knew how.

Maybe in the next 10 years she will have it figured out. I think that she could have saved a lot of headache by just being a kid and not jumped into the deep end before she learned how to swim.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

not to be nasty or rude, but how is what she stated above saying that she is the best?.....I don't see this as a good example, or for that matter even remotely close....

not to be nasty or rude, but how is what she stated above saying that she is the best?.....I don't see this as a good example, or for that matter even remotely close....

I would have thought that saying she has nothing to learn from Annika, Lorena, Creamer, Karrie Webb, Juli Inkster, Beth Daniel, Dottie Pepper, Christina Kim, Laura Davies, Se Ri Pak, Grace Park, etc, etc, is indicative that someone - she or her misbegotten advisers - thinks she's above all of that.

Dunno about you, but if some unproven, wet-behind-the-ears kid was saying that about me and my chosen profession, to which I had devoted many years and enjoyed some success, it would get right up my nose.

Carmello Anthony (arrested for DWI this past season), Barry Bonds (he is still immature), Jeremy Shockey (formerly of the New York Giants), Michael Vick, Bobby Knight (thank God he retired and removed himself from the active coaching ranks).

So do you think a 59 year old man that is arrested for DWI is immatture and shows bad judgement? How about if he brags about how hisattorney is going to get him off is and that it was no big deal and that nobody was at risk by the 59 year old man driving and being cited for DWI?

So do you think a 59 year old man that is arrested for DWI is immatture and shows bad judgement? How about if he brags about how hisattorney is going to get him off is and that it was no big deal and that nobody was at risk by the 59 year old man driving and being cited for DWI?

That is wrong and anyone that age should know better.

I would have thought that saying she has nothing to learn from Annika, Lorena, Creamer, Karrie Webb, Juli Inkster, Beth Daniel, Dottie Pepper, Christina Kim, Laura Davies, Se Ri Pak, Grace Park, etc, etc, is indicative that someone - she or her misbegotten advisers - thinks she's above all of that.

I think you missed the point of the quote. She said

'I don't think I've got anything to learn from a women's event about how to play on the men's tour' She bascially does not think playing on the LPGA will teach her how to play on the PGA tour. The courses are tougher and longer on the PGA and she beleives that the best practice for competeing in the PGA is to play on the PGA when she has an opportunity. I think she has clearly stated that her goals are to compete with the men. She does not seem to have a whole lot of interest in competeing with women.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

As few said, it's too early to judge if her career is a failure.
I'll put her top 3 among all LPGA players, if I bet their success in future.
I thought she might be fade away from the scene, when she was really struggled last year. But she showed much more strengh than I thought she would have, and it seems she's rebounding nicely.

I don't know when, but people's perception will be quickly changed to the positive way, if she wins a couple.
Look at AK.
It's only a couple of months ago, when he was an arrogant young funk.
He came long way after a win or two.

She bascially does not think playing on the LPGA will teach her how to play on the PGA tour...

I think that is the point. It's beyond arrogance and well into extreme stupidity. She believes she has nothing to learn from some of the greatest players the women's game has ever seen. She's already setting herself up above them - yet she has won nothing, she has never beaten any of them in anything.

If it's her idea, she's idiotic. If its her advisers' idea, she should get rid of them. There's no doubt the girl has talent but we don't know yet if it will stay with her as she becomes an adult. We don't know if it will mature. And I may be wrong but I think you need more than 6 feet of height and a cute backside to make it on the PGA Tour. If she wants a career in golf, she really should focus on the women's game. IF she wins so much and so often that it's clear she has no competition, that will be the time to look for more challenges elsewhere. She's started OK, with 73 - 8 shots off the lead in a depleted field, on a relatively easy course. If she makes the cut this weekend it will prove nothing worth talking about but it might not help her. Not if it feeds those delusions of greatness. To set herself up above those greats is stupid, stupid, stupid.

Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!