IGNORED

Fortress Wie---what went wrong.

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think that is the point. It's beyond arrogance and well into extreme stupidity. She believes she has nothing to learn from some of the greatest players the women's game has ever seen. She's already setting herself up above them - yet she has won nothing, she has never beaten any of them in anything.

I agree with you. Hey, you live in England? Are you going to the Women's British Open at Sunningdale----you can see Annika in her last Major!!

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

two completely different beasts... she got hype because she's a girl, plain and simple tiger could have beaten her when he was 8

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Are you going to the Women's British Open at Sunningdale----you can see Annika in her last Major!!

you can't believe how angry I am that we have the Monthly Medal this Saturday (I'm currently third in the club's OOM so have to play!) and an inter-club match on Sunday!

Sunningdale is only about an hour's drive away, so I am really, really cheesed off! In short - no, I shan't be able to get to Sunningdale this year. I was there 2 years ago when Karen Stupples won - started her final round eagle-albatross and broke the hearts of the pursuing pack. We may or may not see anything like it this year.

name me 1 athlete (superstar at that) past, present, and future who at the age of 18 hasn't or has to grow up and mature as you stated

Boris Becker. Bjorn Borg (who'd gone through the tantrums by then). Denis Law. Bobby Charlton (surviving an air crash makes you grow up fast). Michael Owen. Pele (World Cup winner at 17, I think he was). Chris Evert.

That's off the top of my head.

you can't believe how angry I am that we have the Monthly Medal this Saturday (I'm currently third in the club's OOM so have to play!) and an inter-club match on Sunday!

WOW!! I envy you for being there to see Karen Stuples on the first two holes. That start had to be the MOST AMAZING in the History Of Major Championships---for men or women!!

WOW!! I envy you for being there to see Karen Stuples on the first two holes. That start had to be the MOST AMAZING in the History Of Major Championships---for men or women!!

Actually, I was following Grace Park who looked like she was going to make a charge...then there was this roar from just over the way. Trotted over to have a look, found out what was going on, decided to catch Grace up again in a couple of holes. Then she holed out from the fairway - yes, it was amazing. 'Great golf shot', said her partner, Christie Kerr. And we had to agree. Whoever said Christie was a sourpuss?

Went back to Grace, who had looked at the leaderboard in disbelief. It knocked the wind out of her sails. Followed her till the 10th and then drifted back through the field to accompany Karen on her last few holes. A lovely sunny day although we were concerned for a moment when it went a bit dark. Not to worry, though - it was just Laura Davies passing by, accompanied by Natalie Gulbis, who looked like a toddler alongside her...

It's too early to say what went wrong.

Well, we know that Michelle is finished for the weekend, and so all this discussion is really finished as well. If she does not do well at the Canadian, then it is off the Q School, which should prove to be interesting.

Some people who are fans of Michelle do not understand the negative reactions that many people have now to actions like playing at Reno. From my own perspective, let me explain what I think is going on. When anyone in a field of endeavor has "paid their dues", accomplished something worthwhile, and THEN receives publicity and money from that publicity (endorsement contracts, etc.), everyone is fine with that. When someone receives publicity and money BEFORE they have accomplished something major, then people feel it is a corruption of the system.

Speaking for myself, I think it is sad and destructive when corporations offer big money to young people to entice them to skip college and "go pro". And look what happens to some of the athletes involved-----the money "goes to their head" and they make mistakes---DWI, drugs, engage in dog fights (Michael Vick), do not get along with teammates, etc. What is wrong with the old fashioned way that served our society well? Arnie had to win the US Amateur (after going to Wake Forest), win some pro tournaments, and then the Masters BEFORE he could start making big money from endorsements through Mark McCormack. Tiger Woods did the same thing---he worked his way up through the amateur ranks, went to Stanford, turned pro and then started winning.
With Michelle, it is the opposite story----she received the publicity and endorsement contracts based on her talent and potential, NOT on her actual accomplishments. It is like a "short cut" to the pot of golf at the end of the rainbow. Personally speaking, I think big money has had a bad influence on sports in America, and what has happened to Michelle Wie is proof of that. I wish her well, but playing against the men is the wrong road to take.

• Administrator
Arnie had to win the US Amateur (after going to Wake Forest), win some pro tournaments, and then the Masters BEFORE he could start making big money from endorsements through Mark McCormack.

Yeah, let's compare the 50s to the 200s. That makes a lot of sense.

Tiger Woods did the same thing---he worked his way up through the amateur ranks, went to Stanford, turned pro and then started winning.

For every Tiger Woods you could name, I'll give you ten or twenty amateurs who won plenty at the amateur level and were relative busts at the pro level.

Ryan Moore springs to mind. What's he won on the PGA Tour?
With Michelle, it is the opposite story----she received the publicity and endorsement contracts based on her talent and potential, NOT on her actual accomplishments.

So? Prize money is what you earn for being a good golfer - endorsements are what you earn for being a good endorser. You're trying to equate the two when they're completely different markets with completely different targets and goals. I'm not saying the two can't play off each other or one can't feed the other, but endorsements and "earnings" or prize money are very different.

SONY, Nike, etc. are relatively well-run businesses. They don't throw around millions of dollars "just because." And you don't live in Asia, either, so I doubt you can really comment on how effective Michelle has been as a marketing tool or endorser.
I wish her well, but playing against the men is the wrong road to take.

Sez you. Again, if she's in the LPGA Hall of Fame in 15 years, all this hand-wringing and sour prognosticating is going to look awfully stupid in retrospect.

She's a tremendous talent. She's gotten over her wrist injury and is getting back into form. I wish her well at the Women's Canadian Open next week and think she has a bright future ahead of her.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What Iacas said - right on.

Give the kid a chance, at least she's not out wasting a talent like our lovable but totally inept John Daly.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!