IGNORED

Playing Partners that Cheat - long

Garnet Haze
Note: This thread is 5748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've learned over the years that there are two types of golfers:

I think my buddy might be one of those flogers.

He very rarely replaces or fixes divots on the course. Rarely fixes ball marks on the green. Tends to have trash (wrappers, napkins, receipts, etc.) fly out of the cart and I have to go back and get it. The worst was actually yesterday in our Monday night league play. My buddy has had problems with a particular par 5 on our league's course. He tends to hit his tee shot left and into a group of oak trees that overhang fairly close to the tee box. He has actually hit one tree square and the ball flew back towards the tee box and over our heads. He actually had negative yardage on his drive. Well last night, he decides to out think himself and hit 3iron instead of driver. Tops his 3 iron and his tee shot only goes about 30 yards. In his anger, he proceeds to launch his 3 iron into the air. He wings this thing like the hammer throw at the Olympics. It flys further than his tee shot, up into the oak trees he was trying to avoid, and gets tangled up in the heavily overgrown Spanish moss in one of the trees. The 3 iron never comes down. Now this is all during our league play in front of our opponents. Both of whom tried as hard as they could to hold back their laughter. We all spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out which tree the club got stuck in, and couldn't even find it. These oak trees are huge, probably 70 to 80 feet high, and covered in moss. Oddly enough, he did the same thing last week during league play with the same club. Got pissed off, tossed his 3 iron, hits a tree, it dangles for a second, then falls to the ground. Now, I'd be lying if I said I've never lost my cool on the golf course, and tossed a club. But I wouldn't do this in front of opponents in our league. Although I'll give him credit, I must have laughed about this the entire rest of the round and the drive home.

In my bag:

Driver: r7 460 9.5° Stiff
3 Wood: r7 Draw
5 Wood: r7 Draw Irons 4-AW: r7 CGB Wedge: rac Satin 54° Wedge: rac Satin 60° Putter: Daytona Sport 1 34" Ball: DT solo or NXT

I think my buddy might be one of those flogers.

Hmmm. Someone needs to have a word with your 'buddy'. Heaving clubs around like that isn't funny; it's embarrassing. Has anyone suggested he tries improving his game? It'll be less expensive in lost clubs that way

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In his anger, he proceeds to launch his 3 iron into the air. He wings this thing like the hammer throw at the Olympics.

I've dropped clubs after a bad shot in frustration. I've underhand tossed a club towards my bag, but a jack hammer throw like that?

#1 he needs some anger control issues #2 that's your boy, but he needs to be slapped #3 I would almost wish he came close to hitting someone so he'd get his in the parking lot #4 I'd call a ranger on my own partner
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

if I hit a bad shot I love letting go with one hand on the follow through and just looking away... I always have a general idea of its direction and I just walk away.

I might slam down the clubhead into the divot and look like I am analyzing the divot, then I'll process to take a small swing

I've never thrown a club though, never mind break one

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

In our company golf league, I had a guy from the other team "nick" his ball with a pratice stroke, he just snags it with the club and scoots it back to where it was. I was livid! Another guy would, not only ground his club in the bunker, but would then push it down behind the ball and back it out, creating a trench and effectively teeing the ball in the sand! They did all the other stuff too. We get to the 8th tee box and my partner, who's been trying to keep the peace, can tell I've about had enough, says "well, only two more holes to go." and I look directly at the other guy and say "Yep, and I can name one of them." I haven't done this yet, but I'm going to print out a set of the "Sortagolf" rules and keep it in my bag. Then when someone gets too liberal with the rules, I can just hand that to them and I say "You are now ready, Grasshopper, there is nothing more I can teach you".... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

My usual 4 some consists of myself, my roommate, and two friends. My two friends are better than myself, they usually shoot mid to high 80's and tend to follow the rules of golf pretty well, and so do I. Now my roommate, he cheats his ass off.

Me and my roommate go out one early morning. I card a 112 (around what I usually score). He claims to card a 104 (his normal is about 130).

So I'm like WTF, I was ahead of him on most shots, and I constantly had to wait on him skulling and chunking all over the course. There's no way he scored a 104.

Of course he brags to my two other friends about how he beat me and scored a 104, claiming his irons were straight as an arrow, and his 4 iron is his go to club which he can his consistently. Mind you, when all of us practice at the range, this guy slices an 8 iron. He has a terrible swing. Very handsy, no leg action, all shoulders and arms. He refuses to get lessons because once in a while he'll hit a decent shot and claim he can hit it all day.

Naturally, none of us believe him. the next time we all went out, one of my friends kept his score. A magnificent 142. Every time after that, he hasn't scored below a 127, but still brags about almost breaking 100.

For months this went on, we noticed him shaving strokes, improving lies, taking 5 foot puts, not counting putts, etc. It actually became an annoyance that he cheated. If I did the things he did, I'd be shooting low 80's and my friends would be on the PGA tour!

At this point, I'd rather play by myself than have the chance to play with him. I just hate how he would cheat, then brag about his scores.

Bag o' goodness:

r7 460 - Driver
- Woods
Burner - Irons - Putter

To the OP - I wouldn't play for money with your friend. Not a chance.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

The only move that really doesn't bother me for score comparison purposes (aka

I agree, though I only do this if it is in the fairway (muni fairways in nyc aint that great in some patches). If it is not in the short grass, I'll accept the stroke for unplayable lie.

do the same thing he deos and lower your score

HAAHHHAAHA...thx for the laugh.

Fortunately for me, my main playing partner is extremely truthful in how he reports scores (he regularly shoots around 110 but is definitely getting better). Without a doubt - less aggravating than playing with someone who I regularly have to wait for and scores in the '90s'.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

The thing that bugs me the most is when guy in the STATE AM tournament pick the ball up with out finishing. This year on the first day one guy I was paired up with did this quite a bit during the round. Once during the round he left his bogey putt short, left it about 6 feet short, picked it up and took a bogey. I was so pissed because he only beat me by one stroke that day and his Index was 3 points lower then me. And to add to this happening, I was in the "A" Flight (3.1-9.9 index)

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

The thing that bugs me the most is when guy in the STATE AM tournament pick the ball up with out finishing. This year on the first day one guy I was paired up with did this quite a bit during the round. Once during the round he left his bogey putt short, left it about 6 feet short, picked it up and took a bogey. I was so pissed because he only beat me by one stroke that day and his Index was 3 points lower then me. And to add to this happening, I was in the "A" Flight (3.1-9.9 index)

I think I would have issued a complaint with tournament officials on that schmuck, that just isn't right.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

i would stay mum until they say the ball is lost in the hole, even though it is a possibility it collapsed in a time/space vortex, folks shouldn't be taking advantage of that probability

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Note: This thread is 5748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!