IGNORED

Would Tiger have won the PGA?

bigoak
Note: This thread is 5748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am not a Fan of Tiger Woods or WWE, but if Tiger were in the field, I think he would have won this tournament hands down with his will and his way. What do you think?

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

No he wouldnt have. He would have missed the cut!

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Doesn't matter. He didn't play.

That's like saying would Jack in his prime had won this PGA. It's a moo point.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Even if his knee was fine, I don't think he would have won.

Can't win em all.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

No. He wasn't there. What ifs...???

Tiger is a PGA Tour player and a great golfer. But... he is not golf nor is he going to win every tournament. The media and Nike may think that he is but he is a player in a list of players.

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

If Tiger had been there, had been healthy and was playing well, he would have easily won.
Harrington and Garcia screwed up so many times on Sunday that they almost got beat by Ben Curtis. If Curtis almost beat them, a healthy Tiger would have won by at least 5 shots.
It is a moot point though. Harrington won, end of story.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

No. He wasn't there. What ifs...???

From the standpoint of ratings and money....Tiger Woods may be bigger than the PGA Tour itself for the time being. Ratings without Tiger have plummeted as far as 53%. Players have agreed that the atmosphere of tournaments is different as well. To say that Tiger is just another golfer really can't be taken as valid. Tiger did and is still doing for golf what Arnold Palmer did for the game years ago. He brings life to the game through his ability simply win tournament after tournament.....and provides a figure that both young and older golfers can associate with. He certainly isn't another player...and this may be the one sport when the athlete may almost be bigger than the game itself. Keep in mind...this is all before he even starts his Tiger Tour...which is somewhat rumored to be created eventually. From a performance aspect, it is very likely for Tiger to have won this tournament. This year, he has won 4 of the 6 tournaments he has participated in....including a major. He has also finished 2nd in one of those non-winning tournaments and finished top 10 in the other. Furthermore...although only playing in 6 events...almost 25% of the amount of events other tour pro's have played in, he is still the money leader and FedEx cups points leader. You dont have to like him...but you definitely should be aware of his impact on the game. So playing the what-if game.....it's very likely that tiger wouldve won the tournament had he played.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

Irrelevant, he's unfit.

In my bag:

Callaway X460 10 deg driver
Taylor Made Burner 15 deg 3 wood
MD Golf 21 deg Blackhawk RescueTaylorMade RAC OverSize irons 3-SWPing i-Series Anser putter(All LH!)

So playing the what-if game.....it's very likely that tiger wouldve won the tournament had he played.

It was also very likely that the French were going to beat the U.S. in the Swimming Relay yesterday. However, they did not. Sure Tiger might be favored to win every tournament he enters until he is into his 40s and may be Lord Tiger, the golfing machine but that in itself does not mean he is going to win it. Still, he didn't play in it, therefore he had ZERO chance to win it. I like Tiger and think he will be considered the best ever to play the game, but you can't say that he would have won if he had played because saying it doesn't make it so.
My Equipment:

From the standpoint of ratings and money....Tiger Woods may be bigger than the PGA Tour itself for the time being. Ratings without Tiger have plummeted as far as 53%. Players have agreed that the atmosphere of tournaments is different as well. To say that Tiger is just another golfer really can't be taken as valid. Tiger did and is still doing for golf what Arnold Palmer did for the game years ago. He brings life to the game through his ability simply win tournament after tournament.....and provides a figure that both young and older golfers can associate with. He certainly isn't another player...and this may be the one sport when the athlete may almost be bigger than the game itself.

What if?

No one is discounting the impact Tiger has made to the game or his tremendous talent. But WHAT IF he had played? It is very likely his knee would not have lasted the first round, so NO, Tiger would NOT have won the PGA.

You have to say no. Tiger wins less than half the majors. Last year he was empty until the PGA. This year he loses the Masters then is 1 down twice on 18 to Rocco, in the 4th round and the playoff. So I have no idea where this 5 shot victory nonsense comes from.

That 3 under was a very good score. It can be argued Harrington and Garcia and Curtis would have scored worse if Tiger were in contention. That's a legit argument in this era. But no way I'm conceding a 72 hole event to one player. There's a reason Tiger is always higher than even money on the betting line.

You have to say no. Tiger wins less than half the majors. Last year he was empty until the PGA. This year he loses the Masters then is 1 down twice on 18 to Rocco, in the 4th round and the playoff. So I have no idea where this 5 shot victory nonsense comes from.

it is certainly silly to think that Tiger is a lock to win any event...and of course him not competing gives him no chance of winning. Lets put that aside.

my point being is more that it is more probable that Tiger wouldve won the tournament than any other golfer. His knee injury wouldnt have as tremendous an effect on him as it would perhaps a running back who needs the acl to stabilize the joint to allow him to utilize his knee joint properly. As stated by the doctors working on him, the issue is more pain than performance. The performance loss would be rather small. If he wanted to play the tournament, there are enough approved steroids, cortisone etc available that would dampen the pain and allow him to play. As stated by Tiger, he's taking time off to avoid injuring himself to the point that it would effect his performance...but had he wanted to play this weekend...he still wouldve been the most likely person to win the tournament.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

...but had he wanted to play this weekend...he still wouldve been the most likely person to win the tournament.

Doesn't mean he would have won though, and that is the question of the thread. It's not that I don't agree that he "probably" could have won, but probably does not turn into definitely just because your name happens to be Tiger Woods. He most likely would have been favored to win, but how many times has he been favored to win any tournament and not won it?
My Equipment:

Doesn't mean he would have won though, and that is the question of the thread.

yea we are on the same page then. and to answer your question....many times has he not won a tournament when he has been favored.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*

From the standpoint of ratings and money....Tiger Woods may be bigger than the PGA Tour itself for the time being. Ratings without Tiger have plummeted as far as 53%. Players have agreed that the atmosphere of tournaments is different as well. To say that Tiger is just another golfer really can't be taken as valid. Tiger did and is still doing for golf what Arnold Palmer did for the game years ago. He brings life to the game through his ability simply win tournament after tournament.....and provides a figure that both young and older golfers can associate with. He certainly isn't another player...and this may be the one sport when the athlete may almost be bigger than the game itself.

I'll agree that Tiger is definitely a marque player as pulls additional audience numbers for media ratings and gate receipts; however, you have made my point mentioning Arnold Palmer. It is what they did to help the game by being a part of it... they were not the game. You have focused on the rating and money aspect of the game. The game of golf goes on without Tiger, ratings, and money... even if there are millions in the galleries or if there are two solitary players on the course.

Tiger Woods will be recognized as one of the greatest players to play the game. His impact to date has created bigger paychecks for those that play on the Tour with him; raised more money for charity; inspired countless numbers to pick up the game, challenged the tour to get better to compete when he is in the race... BUT... He is not the only player to have played or advanced the game of golf. And, in the end, this hypothetical is just that. This year's PGA Championship was a great tournament even without Tiger. With the hypothetical presented Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Palmer, even Harry Varden could have be considered along with Tiger. Hmmmmm, may be that's the next thread. Would Boby Jones have won if he were in the tournament?
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

When he is fit and healthy the odds have him favourite to win every tournament he enters, so probably yes. There is one point that is probably more relevant and a better indicator. If you surveyed the tour pros prior to the PGA and asked them if they would be unhappy if Tiger wasnt playing I dont think you would have got too many no's!

I am not a Fan of Tiger Woods or WWE, but if Tiger were in the field, I think he would have won this tournament hands down with his will and his way. What do you think?

Who knows? He wasn't there, so he is irrelevant. As he will be the remainder of the season.

Note: This thread is 5748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!