IGNORED

Hitting Off Mats

mochila

If I hit off of mats then I only hit off of the rubber tees because that is part of the reason that I had to switch from right to left handed is becasue I was a pretty steep swinger and those mats don't absorb any of the shock if you hit it fat like the ground does. All of that force is transmitted right back up the shaft and into your wrists and even your lower back area. I felt like I had been beaten with a baseball bat the day after a 2 hour session on mats. And like other people said on a bad swing there might not be a visual cue that you even hit the ball fat because the clubhead is catapulted off the mat into the ball if you hit it as much 2-3 inches fat. Also in most cases it makes your trajectory higher than it actually is because of the springlike effect. Be carefull about how many swings you take on mats.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way to avoid the fat problem on mats is to use a very short tee. If you hit fat, you'll know. Of course, the tendency is to hit thin when you go back to grass.

I tried the Vijay Singh sponsored mat - it's got sort of a springboard action. I didn't like it much.

I find the mat type with artificial bristles is closest to grass.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont like mats, especially since I have a range that has grass tee areas but I could definitely see 2 sides on this discussion.

Most all grass tees I have ever seen in no way resemble a well manicured tight cut fairway. In other words, most grass tees are very similar to a light rough that can easily give you a differnt feel then from a REAL fairway.

there is no hiding fat shots on decently manicured grass though. The con comes in on wegde shots that you easly "pick" clean from light rough vs truly needing to take a slight but clean divot on a fairway.

Mats hide fat shots easily, but are much easier to treat as a fairway when practicing mid iron and wedge shots.

If you routinely beat your clubs into the mat well before the ball, they are hurting you more then helping. If you are used to picking the ball fairly clean with slight resistance at a point of contact very close to the ball, mats have their place.

Given a choice, I will take grass anyday.

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

I find the mats are terrible when hitting anything lower than a 7i.As my swing gets steeper and my ball position moves back in my stance,I just hit the mat heel first and it closes the club face and I hit hooks and pulls.

On grass 8i through PW is a strength for me.The grass allows a divot and I get the compression.On a mat I have to pick the ball,and I don't want to do that.

From now on when I got to the range it will be 6i and above.However practicsing the short game is absolutely fine,so wedges are fine.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I would absolutely hit off a golf mat as long as it was the Golf Mat by Vijay Singh. My range has a few of them and it is just like hitting off grass minus the flying divots.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I will never hit off a mat again unless it's practicing tee shots. It's bad for your game, your equipment and your bones. Find a range that has grass. It's worth it.

H-

Where do you go for grass? (If you don't mind me asking.)
I tried the Vijay Singh sponsored mat - it's got sort of a springboard action. I didn't like it much.

Nevy-

What didn't you like about it? Have you ever hit on a TrueStrike mat? If so, how did it compare?
I would absolutely hit off a golf mat as long as it was the Golf Mat by Vijay Singh. My range has a few of them and it is just like hitting off grass minus the flying divots.

G.J. -

Same question. What did you like about it? What didn't you like? Have you ever hit off of the TrueStrike mat? Either- Is the VJ mat portable enough to drag to a range if one was so inclined? Thanks.

G.J. -

I like that you can actually place the ball in various lies: Uphill, downhill, flat. You can also hit a "bad" shot as the club does not slide through like most mats, do. Also, I can go down and through without fear of damaging my short irons and wedges.

If I had one issue with it, it's the black rubber surrounding it. While it's great because you can lineup balls, it seems to have a visual effect of shrinking the hitting area. On a golf course, there really isn't anything that is going to do that for you. Does that make sense to you? You can definitely carry this around and can store it standing up. I have not hit off the Tru Strike. That's the gel mat, correct?

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Yep, the TrueStrike mats are the gel ones. I've never hit off of one, but I've heard very good things about them. They are very pricey though.

What exactly happens when you hit a bad shot? For example, a fat shot. With the springy action, I'm imagining all sorts of fun ball deflections. :D

And thanks for the info!

Yep, the

I've hit a GW that made a sound like a rat trap that went, oh, 20 yards straight and 10 yards to the right. I've also hit a few hosel rockets, too.

The Truestrike is really expensive. I don't know if I would spend that kind of money on a mat. Find out if your range has any plans of ordering the Vijay mat. It might be worth it for them.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Grass or mats I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve at the range. If you need to work on your ball striking, as in actually contacting the ball solidly then I'd say go for the grass. If you're working on alignment/set-up issues and dont have problems with striking the ball solidly then I prefer the mats. I get a much better sense of aligment from being able to move the entire mat (assuming you are able to) and adjust to a target compared to laying a club on the ground.

The Truestrike is really expensive. I don't know if I would spend that kind of money on a mat.

No doubt. They do have a "Domestic Portable" version that is only $30 more than the VJ mat, but it doesn't come with a stance mat like the VJ does.

Still $229 (VJ) or $259 (TrueStrike) is a LOT to spend on a mat if you are still driving to a range and paying for balls. And nets just don't do it for me.

No doubt. They do have a "Domestic Portable" version that is only $30 more than the VJ mat, but it doesn't come with a stance mat like the VJ does.

OK, turn about is fair play -- what don't you like about nets?

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

H-

Battle Creek and Snohomish have grass driving ranges. 30 minutes tops drive for me to either one. I think Harbour Pointe has grass as well. I have to check it out since that is only 5 minutes away. Walter Hall and Legion Memorial have a free chip and pitch area where one can hit as long as 60+ yards. Lynnwood has a free chip and sand bunker area. All have practice greens. I'm spoiled.

Battle Creek and Snohomish have grass driving ranges. 30 minutes tops drive for me to either one. I think Harbour Pointe has grass as well. I have to check it out since that is only 5 minutes away. Walter Hall and Legion Memorial have a free chip and pitch area where one can hit as long as 60+ yards. Lynnwood has a free chip and sand bunker area. All have practice greens. I'm spoiled.

Harbour Pointe does have a grass range. I haven't been to it though. Wrong side of town for me. (As are the others you listed.

But thanks for the info.)

I have hit off a truestrike mat at the demo bay at Golfsmith. It is possible to hit a fat shot, as the club wont slide into the ball and will slow its movement a little. I didn't hit that many balls off of it though, but I definitely chunked one.

Driver: 3DX Square 12*
3Wood: 30 dollar dicks piece of ____
Hybrids:3DX 20* and 23*
Irons:3DX Red 5-PW
Wedge:Vokey Spin Milled 56.10PutterDF-990 33 in

In response to Harry Longshanks, I didn't like the VJ mat because the ball is a bit above your feet. A minor bit. It's better than normal mats, but like all mats that try to mimic grass, they all seem contrived and make me want a real grass range, although some badly maintained grass ranges are quite dodgy.

All of these products will wear out and as they wear out, the less grasslike they seem.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 years later...

Whenever I am unable to make it out to the course, I'll go to the local driving range that is open til 10. I typically use the mats because the lighting is better and the grass is spotty and every lie resembles GUR. The mats are worn out and provide very little cushion, so fat shots wreck havoc on my left wrist and elbow. I like going out there because I am able to hit balls at night, but am curious if hitting off of mats are going to hurt my game. Plus, I feel that I am able to make up for mistakes when hitting behind the ball since the club bounces into the ball and produces a decent shot. Any thoughts?