IGNORED

How far do you choke down on the putter?

Fon Duc Tow
Note: This thread is 4565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't fathom how people would change their putter grip for putts of different length. Wow. Wow. Wow.

I use one of the old school Ping putter grips, and I have my thumbs over the logo. It keeps the grip consistent for me. If I could putt with all 8 fingers interlocked, I would, but I can't, so I really try to get my hands as together as possible because it keeps the hands and wrists out of the stroke for me. I guess, when you consider where the pad of my top hand is...I don't choke down at all.

If you do 'choke down', is it hard to change putters because the swingweight of the putter is so affected by choking up and down? I'd think it'd be tough to make any equipment changes because you'd have to do more farting around than normal to get the weight right, but I could be overanalyzing it.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I choke down on my putter..  I've found I putt best fairly bent over and with my arms bent pretty significantly and my elbows squeezed in so both elbows are squeezing in around the bottom of my rib cage.  This helps me get a good pendulum action while keeping my head still and my hands out of it.

I only choke down though cause I've put club money into wedges and irons recently, and I've experimented with various putting styles and the one I've settle on means with my current putter I end up choking down significantly.  When I can afford it I'll try out some shorter putters so I can grip the thicker part of the grip and not have to choke down.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I choked down on my old putter which was a 35" mallet type.  When I got a new putter, I went with a blade and switched to a 33" putter.  With the shorter, I don't choke down at all.  I don't know that I putt much better now, but it feels like I do so that's something...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

No choke down. My trail hand index finger extends down the shaft to the end of the grip so I'm using the entire length of the grip. (Been gripping a putter like that for years)

33" putter bought as a 33" so the head has more weight than the 34" or 35". When I have cut down putters in the past, it messed up the feel.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

This is me also.

Originally Posted by DJYoshi

I choke down all the way to the end of the grip and my finger touches the shaft. I've always done it no matter how short the putter shaft was..33 - 35" i still choke down to that position. I just like the weight and feel of the club at that point.

Note: This thread is 4565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!