IGNORED

2008 U.S. Amateur Championship

Thrash13
Note: This thread is 5738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So you're saying he's going to be kind of like a Ty Tryon?

More successful than Ty (no offense to Ty) imo. I think he will make it onto the PGA within a couple of years and keeping his card without incredible difficulty, but I dont see him shaping out to be like Hunter Mahan or someone of that sort. He might win a tournament or two, but I don't think he will be an absolute star.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I get all of you're points (iacas and crafty). But out of the field of amateurs that were out there, I'd say that he could possibly be one of the most sucessful.

agreed, he does seem to be the brightest of the bunch.

Alhtough i think patrick reed is going places as well.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I'm calling "bust." He may win or something, but I don't see him getting a major or being a real force on the Tour at all.

no way. i predict we will see a thread soon debating who is greater, danny lee or tiger woods.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

First off, congrats to Danny Lee on another impressive week as an amateur. He got hot at the right time this summer. I'm not saying he will be a bust in the future, but I'll take Jamie Lovemark and Rickie Fowler any day of the week as far as long-term success goes. Those two are going to be around for many years to come. Lee got hot at the right time, that's all.

Nonetheless, his summer has been one to remember, and I look forward in seeing his progression. It would be good for the game if he has success, but take a look back at Ryan Moore's summer of 2005. Everyone (including myself) thought he was going to be great right away. While he has had a little success here and there, he definitely hasn't lived up to the potential. Injuries have taken their toll, but every golfer can say that.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't say Danny Lee is better than Tiger Woods, but man this guy can really play! I mean even when Kittleson was on his game Danny Lee was just cruising right through him. I gotta give it to him, this guy has got game.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

I'm calling "bust." He may win or something, but I don't see him getting a major or being a real force on the Tour at all.

Really? Didn't he already place 20th a couple of weeks ago on tour? I'm sorry, but that kid is more than hot, he's the real deal. Absolutely unfazed by any event, he shot like 12 under for 32 holes.

I was really impressed after Kittleson hit that perfectly solid shot at the par 3, then Kim just got up and launched an 8 iron it into the stratosphere and next to the hole. Then, calmly makes the 4 footer. I think that between his swing mechanics and unflappable nature, he's going to be a star. I won't saddle him with the "next TW" title, but, wow, what a talent.

I know this is a little off-topic, but I just wanted to say "Bravo" to Danny Lee for his willingness to give interviews without an interpreter even though his English was less than stellar.

So many times, you see Asian players in golf (e.g. K.J. Choi, players on the LPGA, etc.) who speak English as a second language, use an interpreter even though they have passable English. I don't know if it's a pride thing, or a confidence thing, or whatever. (You also see it in other sports - e.g., Ichiro by all accounts speaks pretty darn good English, but almost always uses an interpreter.)

And I certainly don't mean to imply that it is just an Asian issue. Hell, I would probaly do the same thing in the opposite situation. (Europeans are educated in multiple languages from an early age, so it usually isn't an issue for them.)

Anyway, my point is that it takes some big brass ones for an 18 year old kid to step up that way and give interviews on national TV in an unfamiliar language. Way to go kid. I wish I had a set like that.

I know this is a little off-topic, but I just wanted to say "Bravo" to Danny Lee for his willingness to give interviews without an interpreter even though his English was less than stellar.

He may be Asian, but he is from New Zealand, and had an New Zealand accent.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

He may be Asian, but he is from New Zealand, and had an New Zealand accent.

Actually, he's from Korea. His parents emigrated from Korea to New Zealand when he was 9. And he's still learning English. He talked about how his New Zealand friends helped him learn "the English words they don't teach you in school."

I couldn't find any of the interviews from the U.S. Am, but here is one from the Western Open earlier this year. He does have a bit of a New Zealand twist to his accent, but it's definitely still primarily Korean. (It kinda reminds me of that crazy Swedish/South Carolina mix of Carl Petterson, or the South African/Texan accent of Sabbitini). (The interview starts at around 3:20):

????????????????????????????

He's been living in New Zealand long enough to speak perfect English. Why would he need an interpreter?

Wow. Is Danny Lee going to shape out to be a phenomenal player, or what? I'm looking forward to watching him on the PGA Tour.

You had a chance last week. I have seen him play and he is the real deal.

IACAS!!!!!

The kid is 18! It would be a fair bet to say that about any player as so few win majors or become a real force. Statistically, you're probably right - but I think you're being a bit harsh. Maybe say that after he's been on tour for three years. It would be unfair to say that about, say, Jason Day after a year on the big tour. You're a hard task master.

• Administrator
Really? Didn't he already place 20th a couple of weeks ago on tour? I'm sorry, but that kid is more than hot, he's the real deal.

Ryan Moore was awfully hot a few years ago too, right? Look at the list of Am winners since Tiger Woods. How many PGA Tour wins among them? One, and by David Gossett, right?

Statistically, you're probably right - but I think you're being a bit harsh. Maybe say that after he's been on tour for three years.

OK, remind me in five years and I'll say it again.

I'm just trying to counter the rampant speculation a little. I think his "go for it" nature combined with his 100% swing and the knee problems that have ALREADY surfaced, he's set for some letdowns. He played a great U.S. Amateur, but history says that doesn't mean much when it comes to future professional success. Just trying to quell the rising tide of hopes and dreams (of others FOR him). I think that has more to do with someone's failure to succeed than anything else.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!