IGNORED

Phil One of the 10 Most Hated Athletes

iacas
Note: This thread is 3254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
If the Family Man Phil is a fake, shouldn't we have caught him with Hugh Grant's hooker by now?

How about the huge gambling debts he's racked up? How about, as quoted in that article, the lame stunt re: Amy's pregnancy during the US Open?

How about the fact that Vijay Singh, reviled by the press most of the time, actually is well-adored by fellow Tour pros because he always takes time to help other pros if they ask him to take a look at their swing, while Phil doesn't do this. I've seen Tiger do it, too, lest you try to bring that up.
Meanwhile, admittedly, most of his colleagues on tour despise the guy.

And that's largely what we're getting at. I don't care what a guy's character is in-round - he's trying to earn a living. But all that being said, Tiger, Vijay, etc. are all supposedly great to play with,

and their fellow pros respect them when they're not playing, too. Phil isn't the same - his fellow pros despise the guy. And that's largely where I've formed my opinion, based on what others have said about him. Plus I've heard enough first-hand accounts, too from non-pros (press, PR types, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Larry K. says, "
If I ever am privileged enough to play with a touring pro and he's "gracious" to me, I won't really care if he's faking it."

BINGO! I was playing with my club pro recently and he was asked about his most memorable golf experience. He said he qualified for a senior event made the cut as did an old friend of his and they were paired with Arnie on Saturday.

On the tee, they shook hands and my pro said, "It looks like you're gonna spend the day with a couple of local hicks." To which Arnie replied, "That will be a relief compared to the *******s I usually have to play with."

My guess is the whole GQ thing is typical of media hype where some 'squat to pee' journalist felt snubbed because Mick wouldn't leave his wife and kids to do a personal interview, or get him a club house pass and he's looking to get even with his word processor.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

How about the huge gambling debts he's racked up? How about, as quoted in that article, the lame stunt re: Amy's pregnancy during the US Open?

Exactly, Erik. There's a difference between being gracious (a la Bobby Jones to his supporting cast in

How I Play Golf ) and being fake. In my opinion, Phil is fake. I realize I may be ruffling a few feathers because Phil is a fan favorite, but I call 'em like I see 'em.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

I am close to someone who knows Phil’s agent very well and has played golf with Phil on two occasions. He has nothing but nice things to say about him. I know a couple of people who know Phil personally and they say honestly he is a good guy. I have had the opportunity to play with several tour players and for the most part they are nice guys but cocky as hell. If you are too thin skinned then they will definitely rub you the wrong way. I have known enough professional athletes to realize one thing, they all know they are good. Cocky confidence is one thing each and every one of them have, and without it they would not be the world class athletes that they are. I believe Phil is no different. As far as his peers not liking him, well a reporter can find someone that will say anything. I don’t know for sure, but would bet that its not as prevalent as he says, and a lot of it is just jealousy rearing its ugly head. Now someone will say “What about Tiger everyone likes tiger and he’s the best.” Well very few of us, including Phil, have the charisma that Tiger woods has. Phil is about as uncharismatic as he can be, but does that make him a bad guy or a phoney? I don’t think so.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
I am close to someone who knows Phil’s agent very well and has played golf with Phil on two occasions. He has nothing but nice things to say about him. I know a couple of people who know Phil personally and they say honestly he is a good guy. I have had the opportunity to play with several tour players and for the most part they are nice guys but cocky as hell. If you are too thin skinned then they will definitely rub you the wrong way. I have known enough professional athletes to realize one thing, they all know they are good. Cocky confidence is one thing each and every one of them have, and without it they would not be the world class athletes that they are. I believe Phil is no different. As far as his peers not liking him, well a reporter can find someone that will say anything. I don’t know for sure, but would bet that its not as prevalent as he says, and a lot of it is just jealousy rearing its ugly head. Now someone will say “What about Tiger everyone likes tiger and he’s the best.” Well very few of us, including Phil, have the charisma that Tiger woods has. Phil is about as uncharismatic as he can be, but does that make him a bad guy or a phoney? I don’t think so.

As stated previously, it's not that a reporter can find a few people here and there to say that they dislike Phil. It's that just about everyone you ask on Tour despises Phil, and the ones that don't say they despise them give you a "no comment" and a wink when asked.

Even Jack Nicklaus made some pissy remarks about Phil when he thought nobody was listening at last year's Memorial. I know a guy in the "biz" who despises Phil's agent too. We can go back and forth with personal stories, but neither yours nor mine really make much of a difference. They cancel each other out and all we've managed to do is waste time typing them. Some people dislike Phil. Some people don't. I'm firmly in the first camp... and the fact that he's listed in the 10 Most Hated Athletes - means a lot of others are there, too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On the tee, they shook hands and my pro said, "It looks like you're gonna spend the day with a couple of local hicks." To which Arnie replied, "That will be a relief compared to the *******s I usually have to play with."

Isn't that GREAT!!? I'll bet your pro still can't wipe the smile off his face after a welcome like that!

A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

I'll just say that the hardest part of golf (for me) is dealing with the pressure I create for myself.

If Mickelsen is so hated, then you can bet he damn well knows it. I give him even more credit for hs record and pulling off the tough shots he does around the green while he is knowing everyone around him is hoping he fails and wishing him bad.

• Administrator
I'll just say that the hardest part of golf (for me) is dealing with the pressure I create for myself.

Then again, there are certain people that play better when it's "me against the world." I think Tiger Woods would say he is one of those types, too.

Then again, there are certain people that play better when it's "me against the world." I think Tiger Woods would say he is one of those types, too.

Can't quarrel with that. You've read my story about Tiger's high school championshiptourney.

"People who play the sport are viewed differently, more as entities than people" - David Duval

Interesting read. However, other than "the golfer" quote in the first paragraph, the rest of the quotes in the article are from other "reporters".

TaylorMade r7 Quad Driver 9.5 Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade r5 Dual 3 Fairway Wood Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade RAC OS Graphite Stiff
TaylorMade RAC Black Wedges 52, 56, 60 degrees
TaylorMade TPA VII PutterMaxfli Black MaxHome Course

Interesting read. However, other than "the golfer" quote in the first paragraph, the rest of the quotes in the article are from other "reporters".

GOOD POINT. Now that I've figured out how to link and read the entire piece I can see it is from a geender non-specific writer with an ax to grind for some reason.

I noticed the bit about his equipment ..."In 2003, Mickelson violated multiple taboos when he told a reporter that Tiger Woods was playing with “inferior equipment” and that he envied Mickelson’s longer drives from the tee. Woods was infuriated. “You just don’t say shit like that in golf,” says a reporter. (To be fair, another reporter says, “Phil was right.”) If this reporter ever got out of the day spa where he goes to watch 'Oprah' and 'the View' he might hear some of the real smack talk that goes on. Saying Tiger was infuriated about that has as much credibility as saying the LPGA was an apology from Fred Funk for mocking them in the skins game.

Alright, that is really suprising if they are basing it off fans perspective. Phil is one of my favorite golfers and I know that he's a fan favorite at every tournament he plays in. I think that is based of other players perspective, since they have the most interaction with him. From what I heard, he is just kind of annoying, if anything. I dont think he's an a$$ out or anything like that.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher Comp 9.5 stiff
Fairway Wood: 2006 Cleveland Launcher Steel FW 15 Stiff
Hybrid: Cleveland Halo graphite stiff
Irons: Titleist 704.CB 3-PW Stiff
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Ping G5i Craz-EBall: Titleist Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

Mickelson is not playing his best golf. He could not defend his title at the FBR Open and it doesn't look too good for him at this week's Pebble Beach Pro Am.

I think Phil is seeking majors and using these tournaments now as "tune-ups".

I'm sure, however, that Mickelson will win a few this season. (There's no smiley face here that shows "keeping fingers crossed"!)

Sincerely,
Stacy Solomon

Mickelson is not playing his best golf. He could not defend his title at the FBR Open and it doesn't look too good for him at this week's Pebble Beach Pro Am.

Whatever folks say about Philbur, he certainly seems to have turned a corner lately. Two majors is great and every one he wins from now on is gravy. He's proven he can get-er-done.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

The British Open would be a crowning glory for Phil. He just doesn't like being out of the USA. He's probably too patriotic.

I'm betting that he wins the US Open. That would be a great topping for that Master's victory and he gets really close every year.

Sincerely,
Stacy Solomon

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
What does everyone think of this ? Did Phil steal Tiger's swing and use it on his own site?

Wow. That is ridiculous. Even though Phil probably had no part in the design of his website other than an "ok, that looks pretty good," that speaks volumes about his character.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

• Administrator
Wow. That is ridiculous. Even though Phil probably had no part in the design of his website other than an "ok, that looks pretty good," that speaks volumes about his character.

No no no, to be clear, I'm not even sure it's the same image. It could be a silhouette of Phil. I'd have to go through the trouble of editing the whole Tiger thing myself to see if that's how it looks.

In other words, they may just look similar.

Note: This thread is 3254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!