IGNORED

Need Electricians advice

HazardMagnet
Note: This thread is 5742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just came from a co-workers house. She bought a 1900's home with a detatched barn/garage 2 years ago. Both structures have their own seperate aerial service with seperate fuse panels and meters, but are fed from the same pole and transformer. While I did not see it, the main house has been upgraded to 100 amp service with breakers. The barn was not. The house has a digital meter installed in it's socket with an older switch for disconection. While the barn does have a digital meter, but it has plug in glass type fuses. The main house has a ground wire from the meter box to a ground rod, but the barn does not. I can see that there is a stress relief connector, on the barn's fuse panel, which I would believe would have been the ground wire, and there is a ground rod out side where it should be, but my volt meter shows that their is no continuity between the panel and the rod.. My question is this: Is there a reason that this structure wouldn't need a proper ground, with old style fuses? I am perferctly capable of hookiing the ground rod back up. Her problem is that she's blown up 4 Invisible dog fence contol boards durring the last few lightning storms, all that seems to be plugged into this structure is Dog fence, light bulb and garage door opener. Thanks for any help... ~Tom B.

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

call your local realtor who sells similar home in your area and ask for a recommendation on electrician for this type of job to give you their professional opinion on what needs to be done for her safety.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I just came from a co-workers house. She bought a 1900's home with a detatched barn/garage 2 years ago. Both structures have their own seperate aerial service with seperate fuse panels and meters, but are fed from the same pole and transformer. While I did not see it, the main house has been upgraded to 100 amp service with breakers. The barn was not. The house has a digital meter installed in it's socket with an older switch for disconection. While the barn does have a digital meter, but it has plug in glass type fuses. The main house has a ground wire from the meter box to a ground rod, but the barn does not. I can see that there is a stress relief connector, on the barn's fuse panel, which I would believe would have been the ground wire, and there is a ground rod out side where it should be, but my volt meter shows that their is no continuity between the panel and the rod.. My question is this: Is there a reason that this structure wouldn't need a proper ground, with old style fuses? I am perferctly capable of hookiing the ground rod back up. Her problem is that she's blown up 4 Invisible dog fence contol boards durring the last few lightning storms, all that seems to be plugged into this structure is Dog fence, light bulb and garage door opener. Thanks for any help... ~Tom B.

That service box should have the ground wire to the outside rod as you've determined.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

It sounds like you're describing an old Edison style fuse panel.

As far as hooking up the ground goes, be careful. There's not much room in there for any 'oops' on your part.

Yes, you do need to establish a ground. A ground rod is one way of doing this, tying into the steel in the slab is another, as well as bonding to a metal water line.

If you're not a sparky, I'll echo the concerns of the others, and advise her to call in a local electrician. Look at Angie's List for good recommendations if you don't know one off hand.

- Gummi (master electrician)

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

I thank you for your advice. I don't want this to sound bragging or derogartory whatsoever, but I've been a line man for a cable TV company for almost 25 years, so I am familliar with grounding techniques, at both houses and out on the wires. Just unsure of why some one (to me) would disconect the ground? Her structures are served served from a modern transformer out on the pole. I'll make arrangements to take anouther look, but to me it realy appeared that the former owners where depending upon th Neutral to ground this particular building. There is no chance that this has "city water" what so ever, and there was also an abandoned telepone Co. ground which unfortunaly fell off in my hands when I was there on Sunday. Since you have helped me, try this for Cable TV advice for electricians and builders: www.cl-p.com Look for contractor services on the web site, or contact me directly at tburgess@chartercom.com I really do appreciate your advice... Thanks...
I wanted to play today but dark clouds have been in the area...~Tom B.

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

There's no telling why someone would have removed the ground. I've seen some pretty wacky stuff that doesn't make a lick of sense like that before. Remember, nobody realized, or gave a flip about grounds until the late 80's when electronics really became a part of our culture, and the importance was finally realized.

I'm not sure of the soil conditions, but if you suspect that the old ground rod is crummy, go ahead and drive a new one, I use 5/8" x 96", and sink it all the way, burying the acorn connector. If it's rocky, you can get creative with putting it in the ground. (I've had to hire a pier driller before to bore through rocky soil, and use chemical ground rods, etc)

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

Thanks once again for the advice, I understand this is a "touchy" subject. I'll be going over there again this weekend and take another look/ remedy the problem. This week I will have my Hot stick and ground tester from work before I do anything. If needed I can also pound in a rod for her. When she first asked me to look at this, I didn't expect to find this condition at her house, Honestly expecting something "stupid" and that is exactly what I found. But from what I saw it should be easily corrected. Have a good holiday... Hope you get a chance to play, as I wiil not... But Thursday looks good for me...~Tom B.

~Tom B.

It sounds like you know what you are doing, but do you know the legality of you doing the work?

Obviously I am not from the US so I can't say, but over here electrical work has to be done by a qualified and certified electrician, otherwise it is not legal. Make sure you don't have the same kind of rules, otherwise you may void your friends insurance or something horrible like that.

Note: This thread is 5742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!