IGNORED

dominant eye & putting

Note: This thread is 6660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can anyone provide me with some information/link regarding how one's "dominant eye" affects putting?

I found a few pages on the web describing that it's important to know which eye is dominant (left or right), but couldn't find information on what you're supposed to do with this information.

Are you suppposed to set-up above the ball with your dominant eye?

Sign the slow play promise and petition

Very interesting and something I've always wondered. I play pool lefthanded, but do just about everything else right handed...but I can putt left handed pretty well.

Here's an interesting link .

Also, Google always provides some good links .

Let me know if you find anything else. As for me, I'm right eye dominant. My wife is left eye dominant but we are both right handed...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Very interesting and something I've always wondered. I play pool lefthanded, but do just about everything else right handed...but I can putt left handed pretty well.

I'm right/right, for what that's worth. And I play pool right-handed. Though technically, perhaps I should putt lefty. They say you should have your dominant eye forward, if I remember correctly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm right eye dominant (even though it is the eye with the more correction on my glasses) and I suffer from peeking at the hole too early in my followthrough. So for the last 3-4 years, I line up the putt, then I close my left eye as I putt, and I don't open it until I can't see the ball anymore.

hcp: 31-32, best: 24 in 2002
Golfsmith HICOR 400cc 11.5 (slow graphite 48") - distance
Vulcan 300cc 10 (slow graphite 46") - accuracy
Vulcan 7-wood - might be replaced this year with a hybrid 2-iron
Lynx Black Cat TI (graphite, +1 inch) 3-PW - they arrived!!Alien 60 regular steelPing Zing 1980http...

• 3 weeks later...
I too am right eye dominant and putt right handed, I however use a balance line (line drawn around the ball which is also the balance line) which i aim along the true break aimline from behind the ball so dominant eye doesn't affect me as long as a i trust the aimline and practice preview stroke. I also suffered from peaking as Chicagoland Nick said, which can screw up your stroke. And i too since reading the tiger book close my left eye on all putts which really helps you to make sure you feel the perfect preview stoke first and then you can execute that stroke properly over the ball.

In My Bag:
Driver: Trusty Taylormade 8.5 R580 X Stiff Graffaloy Blue
Wood: Titleist 980F 17.0 (4 wood) Precison Rifle 6.5
Irons: Ben Hogan Apex Plus (3-9i) Precision Rifle 6.5
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 series 48,52,56,60Putter:MacGregor M5K "Bobby Grace"Ball: Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm right eye dominant and I putt lefty for that reason

I'm going to experiment with that a little this year. I'm right/right and recently demoed a lefty putter and was draining stuff like it was my job... maybe a little shaky on distance judgement, but the line was lights-out.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

• Administrator
I'm going to experiment with that a little this year. I'm right/right and recently demoed a lefty putter and was draining stuff like it was my job... maybe a little shaky on distance judgement, but the line was lights-out.

I tilt my head a bit and look out of my right eye. I think the distance thing would be too discouraging for too long for me to switch.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I tilt my head a bit and look out of my right eye. I think the distance thing would be too discouraging for too long for me to switch.

Yeah, the distance control is gonna take some getting used to, but I use the same grip as I would if I was putting right handed so its basically like a lefty putting cross-handed (right hand low). So I still have some sort of feel for the distance. Putting is one part of my game I've not put enough time into so this year I'll be working very hard on it.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

• Administrator
Yeah, the distance control is gonna take some getting used to, but I use the same grip as I would if I was putting right handed so its basically like a lefty putting cross-handed (right hand low). So I still have some sort of feel for the distance. Putting is one part of my game I've not put enough time into so this year I'll be working very hard on it.

You need to build yerself an indoor putting green!

I saw directions for that on the Web somewhere once... Putting cross-handed seems like a good way to maintain as much "speed feel" as possible. Ask Maverick - he switches righty/lefty frequently.

Note: This thread is 6660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!