IGNORED

Michael Campbell's Restricted PGA Tour Status

Frank-0-Sport
Note: This thread is 6651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Greetings ...

Because of a 2003 incident (click-on here to read story) , 2005 US Open champion Michael Campbell is on restricted PGA Tour status until the end of 2008.

Being limited to only 10 starts per year is bad enough. But consider what the count of 10 includes - The four Grand Slam Majors, the three official money World Golf Championships and the Players Championship.

That leaves just two starts - and Campbell has already played one, the season opening winners-only Mercedes Championships. The remaining start will be at Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Classic.

Including the Majors, the Players and the WGC's in the count of 10 is ridiculous. If it were up to me, I'd have the restriction rule work this way --

A: A player may only start in 5 regular PGA Tour events (3 open and 2 invitational -OR- 2 open and 3 invitational) per each year on restricted status. The Mercedes Championships will count as an invitational.

B: The 4 Majors, 3 WGC's and the Players are excluded from the restriction count.

C: While on restricted status, the player will not be eligible for (1) Special Temporary Member status, (2) Non-Member Top 125 Equivilancy exempt status and (3) the Tour Championship.

None of the articles I've read say anything about Campbell's options once the restriction period is over. I bring this up because - assuming he's "home free" beginning in 2009 - one option would be to join the PGA Tour as a full-time member for 2009 and 2010, using his 2005 US Open victory for exempt status.

We'll see!

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport .. My Golf Stuff

• Administrator
Damn, man. Had he played one more event he'd still be okay. Not the best of moves by Mr. Campbell... but also something about which I think a lot of people were unaware, including me!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought the PGA had virtually nothing to say about how things are done at Augusta, including who plays and who doesn't. How can they count that as a PGA event?

They seem to think any event where PGA players are teeing it up is under their control.

Cleveland Ti460 10.5*  |  Cleveland 17* Steel  |  Mizuno MP60  |  Nicklaus JN nickel plated - 52.10, 56.12, 60.09  |  Ping Anser 4
Play it like you found it.

Well I don't feel all that bad for him. He had the opportunity to make it right and play his last tournament. He knew the consequences and now it has cost him. If he wants to be the "global player" as he says then 10 tournaments in the US should be just fine. I like the guy but man that was a bonehead move for sure.

Well I don't feel all that bad for him. He had the opportunity to make it right and play his last tournament. He knew the consequences and now it has cost him. If he wants to be the "global player" as he says then 10 tournaments in the US should be just fine. I like the guy but man that was a bonehead move for sure.

This was discussed a lot by the announcers during the Mercedes Championships. The way they put it, Michael was trying to give the finger to the PGA Tour. He wants to do what he wants to do and suffer no consequences for not following the rules of the Tour. Now, I don't necessarily agree with the PGA Tour rules, but Campbell knew what he was doing. If he does indeed want to be a "worldwide" player then that's fine, but many (Els, Goosen, etc.) have done the same thing and managed to keep their cards without ever having a problem.

I personally don't like Campbell. Didn't like him winning the U.S. Open and I think he comes off as an arrogant "winning a major went to my head" kind of guy. And I really hate that same stinking symbol that is always on the back of his shirts.

Greetings ...

My thanks to all those who have replied. I agree with the arguments that Campbell deserved to have certain rights and priviledges taken away. I disagree with the PGA Tour's method of punishment. Let me re-quote my 3 original suggestions, plus add a 4th --
A: A player may only start in 5 regular PGA Tour events (3 open and 2 invitational -OR- 2 open and 3 invitational) per each year on restricted status. The Mercedes Championships will count as an invitational. B: The 4 Majors, 3 WGC's and the Players are excluded from the restriction count. C: While on restricted status, the player will not be eligible for Special Temporary Member status, Non-Member Top 125 Equivilancy exempt status or the Tour Championship. D: While on restricted status, the player will not be permitted to use Exemption Category 24 - Top 10 and Ties from the previous PGA Tour regular open event.

As some of you may know, I do a lot of tinkering with PGA Tour procedures and rules. I've conjured up some models where international pros could play in as many as 20 PGA Tour events per year - The Majors, Players Championship and certain other "special" events included - without having to be PGA Tour members -AND- without sacrificing membership on their home tours (Campbell's is the New Zealand-Australian circuit). Sadly the rules for that type of scenario would have needed to have been established about 10 or 20 years ago.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport ... My Golf Stuff

Mr_Slice must have watched a different Mercedes Championship than me. The announcers didn't put a bad spin on Campbell not paying PGA events. No one made it seem like he was giving the finger to the tour. If anything, it was clear that Campbell wants to join the PGA full time in the near future.

And you didn't like him winning the Open? I don't understand that. Are you saying you were mad because he won and not someone else? Either way, since winning he has been acting differently, and he admits it himself. He says he is playing with more confidence. But after watching him and Vijay doing Big Break challenges and seeing the major champion profile on the golf channel he hardly comes across as arrogant.

And finally, the symbol on the back of his Shirts is something he does for his Maori heritage and also I am sure to promote his clothing line, which is no different than having a TW on your hat, or a shark on your shirt, etc.

Before I come off as being overly defensive of Campbell I do have to add that he did indeed shirk his commitment to play events. But people do need to understand that international golfers have to try to balance tons of other commitments to other venues too (not to mention their families).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

More information on this from SI . Campbell is petitioning Finchem to lift the ban.

It says he played only 10 events in 2003, missed the cut in 9 of them, and was DQed in the last one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here are his results for the 2003 season.

http://www.pgatour.com/players/results/399370/2003 2004 season http://www.pgatour.com/players/results/399370/2004 2005 season http://www.pgatour.com/players/results/399370/2005 In 2005 he only played 5 events. Won the us open. Didn't hear him complaing about not playing enough events that year. Why didn't he play his 10 events? In 2004 he only played 6 events. Why not all 10? Did we hear him complain then? NO. Now all of sudden he has found enough game to compete on the pga tour. Look at the 2004 stats and its no wonder he didn't play his 10 events. He was not good enough to compete. Now that he has found his game he wants to come to the pga tour where the big money can be found. I say tough shit.
"Sometimes I feel my wings have been clipped but I am my own boss and I believe that I should be able to do what I want," Campbell said. "Obviously what I did three years ago, in not completing 15 events on the U.S. Tour, has really affected my 2006 schedule now I am U.S. Open champion.

Cry me a river mr us open champ. He didn't do what he had to do in 2003 period. He played 14 events and only made the cut in 5 of those. Best finish was a tie for 33rd. He obviously felt he couldn't compete and didn't care enough to play his 15th event.

"What happens if Jack Nicklaus invites me to play his Memorial tournament but I can't because of my status?" Campbell told reporters prior to this week's Johnnie Walker Classic.

Tell him you were a jackass and couldn't do what you were supposed to do. Say sorry I screwed up in 03. Look me up next year. Rules are rules plain and simple. Follow them or face the consequences. Time for him to pick his 10 events and shut up.

Note: This thread is 6651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!