IGNORED

Variations of the Putting Stroke

jeffgladchun
Note: This thread is 5953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What type of putting stroke do you use?

• Inside-Square-Inside
    • Square-to-Square
    • What the hell is a putting stroke and what am I doing on this website?

Last night, as usual, I was watching The Golf Channel (Game Improvement Night) and they had a teaching professional named Stan Utley on to talk about the putting stroke and other areas of the short game. Now, I've always been a proponent of the "square-to-square" putting stroke, but after hearing Stan talking about it, I'm starting to consider the "inside-square-inside" putting stroke.

Basically what Stan said is that an "athletic" (his term) putting stroke is one that incorporates the arms into it, adding feel and the ability to control the stroke more. I've always been of the opposite school of thought - "the less moving parts the better", but after considering it, the sense of touch and therefore the feel we get for the putting stroke lies within our hands and our arms, not in the larger muscles of the back, which fuel my current putting stroke.

So, what kind of stroke do you have and what do you think about what Stan had to say? I can't wait to get on a real green and test out both techniques!

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

• Administrator

There are really about two methods: the Pelz and the Utley. I use their names mostly to mock them, though as the methods have been around forever.

I prefer to call the Utley method the 'arc' method of putting. Open on the backswing, close on the through swing. Scotty Cameron prefers this method.

So too does Dave Pelz' prize pupil, Phil Mickelson, despite Pelz preaching the "square to square" method. I've always found "square to square" require too much rotation of the wrists. The arc method requires none.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a inside-square-inside guy right now (heh). My problem is that I get to technical and forget to just pull the club back and let it go. I think you have to rely on a little athleticism in golf and not distrust your natural abilities. Once you've mastered some of the fundamentals you can forget about the swing and just do it. When I swing the putter I'm pretty much a barn door guy as near as I can tell.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I have a bit of arc in my stroke but not much. Last summer I tried hard to keep the putter square all the through the stroke and just couldn't make it work for me. Most misses were pulled and I always felt too tense about trying to keep it square.

The main thing that really helped me was to putt with a super light grip. That got me back to a slight arc and a nice release that gets the ball rolling nicely.

I have a bit of arc in my stroke but not much. Last summer I tried hard to keep the putter square all the through the stroke and just couldn't make it work for me. Most misses were pulled and I always felt too tense about trying to keep it square.

My problem as well. Using the "Pelz" method, most of my putts were slight pulls. I'm going to try to convert to the "Utley" method this summer.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

I try to be as square as possible, but I have a slight inside to inside stroke. Heck, I may even be square to square on short putts, but on long putts it is nearly impossible to remain that way.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I too pulled putts with Pelz method of PILS(Pure Inline Square Stroke, or Square to Square) , after checking again the problem lay in the setup. I had grooved a stroke in the putting track, but my hands were not directly underneath my shoulders(just less than 1 1/2 inch too close to my body, hardly noticeable) which meant that the only way to keep the putter online was for my arms to slightly (only noticeable on close up camera) go away from my body. This meant that it was not natural as described in Dave Pelz (DP) Putting bible. I worked hard on checking that the center of the back of my right hand was directly underneath my shoulder joint and my arms and shoulder worked together as a unit, with shoulder moving in vertical plane (the shaft,rubber band and door frame drill in book for vertical shoulder rotation helps this greatly). This means gravity will (as long as you dont hit your putts but instead stay in rhythm) keep the putter square and online for you. So check your setup carefully before you discredit DP PILS method. Make sure your shoulders move up and down not around your body and that your hands are directly underneath your shoulders, with a little practice and fine tuning it will feel perfectly natural,stay square and online and work more consistently than the Screen door method (inside to inside). Sorry about the length of post but had to put up a fight for the DP method, anybody need any help just ask. P.S How do you change your profile details (my handicap index is not 36,lol)

In My Bag:
Driver: Trusty Taylormade 8.5 R580 X Stiff Graffaloy Blue
Wood: Titleist 980F 17.0 (4 wood) Precison Rifle 6.5
Irons: Ben Hogan Apex Plus (3-9i) Precision Rifle 6.5
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 series 48,52,56,60Putter:MacGregor M5K "Bobby Grace"Ball: Pro V1

I try to be as square as possible, but I have a slight inside to inside stroke. Heck, I may even be square to square on short putts, but on long putts it is nearly impossible to remain that way.

I'm the same way. I always thought I was a SQ-SQ putter but after I went through a putter fitting the cameras didn't lie and showed an In to IN stroke for anything longer than a three footer.

Personally, I don't think a putting stroke should be forced to one method over the other. Just use what's natural and it'll also be more reliable especially under pressure. For me it was just a little tweak in my setup that helped me out.

• 10 months later...
I think that trying to be arc or square putter is a mistake. Even more than other golf shots putting requires consistency in pre shot fundamentals. Grip, posture, stance, relaxation, tempo, feel. Knowing what your tendancies are mainly helps on narrowing equipment choices. I have noticed that working on my awareness of what it feels like when I get it right is just as important as feel in tee to green shots. I am an arc putter by the way. Oops I just saw that Everardo said the same thing only better.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Knowing what your tendancies are mainly helps on narrowing equipment choices.

Good point. I did read Stan Utley's book "The Art of Putting" and enjoyed it. One thing I couldn't do from an arc putting standpoint is use a normal length putter (35"). It just felt too long and forced to me. I bought a 33" Monza Corza recently and even though I'm more over the ball than Utley recommends, my putting stroke is still an arc and feels natural.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 1 year later...
I putt well and i like it
In My Bag ...

Driver - Mx-500 9.5 Regular Shaft.
Fairway Woods - 3 & 7 F-50 Reagular Shafts.
Irons - Mx-19 3-Sw Dynamic Gold Regular ShaftsBag - Aerolite 2Balls - , & Any I Find!Putter - C-Groove Tracy 2Grips - Golf Pride Mulit-Compound Blue GripsA Member Of Hunley Hall G.C.

Ah, Putting... one of my many pet peeve topics when it comes to what many golf instructors tell you to do.

"Don't peek - keep your eyes down even after the ball leaves the putter." I tried doing just that, but I found that my putting became just a shot in the dark and a prayer that I get it close.

After much exploration, I've discovered a better way to go about it and since my discovery, I've become a MUCH better putter. And lemme tell you, it had nothing to do with "not peeking."

Not peeking is like telling a billiards player to keep focusing on the tip of his cue even after the cue ball has left the tip. That's like telling a basketball player to take a few looks at the basket before the shot, but from then on out, focus only on the index and pointer fingers of his shooting hand. Just doesn't work.

My stance is an isosceles triangle with the golf ball bisecting the base of the triangle exactly - which means the putter head would be a golf ball's radius behind the midpoint of the base of the triangle. After lining up the putt, I focus on the leading "edge" of the ball, take a few "pictures" of the hole as Tiger likes to say, pull back the putter head square (my eyes are still on the leading edge of the ball - since I know what the putter's going to do on its way back, I shouldn't need to watch), then watch the ball leave the putter face, THEN FOLLOW THE BALL WITH MY EYES TOWARDS THE HOLE. Most times, it goes in - or if it's a lag put, I usually don't have too much more work to do.

Don't get too anxious and look too early, but don't feel as if you need to keep your eyes on the spot where the golf ball used to be.

Just my $.02. :)

Titleist 905R 460CC Driver Fujikura Stiff 8.5
Titleist PT15* 3 Wood Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist 980F 19* 5 Wood Titleist Regular
Miura Forged Baby Blades 3-PW NS Pro Stiff
Miura Forged 56* Sand WedgeTitleist Vokey 60* Lob WedgeTitleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design Newport 35"Nike One Platinum...

Is the "in-square-in" stroke the same as a "barn door" stroke?

Hi-bore - 8.5* w/ 77g UST ProForce v2 stiff

PT- 21* x100 shaft

Ta3- Form Forged s300 shaftsVokey 52* 56*- Red X2 center shafted 33" ProV1x- High Numbers only (5's)

When I putt well

I don't know what is actually happening with you. Never seen ya'. I suspect that an UN-manipulated stroke will be in-square-in to some degree. Isn't a putting stroke a miniature golf swing?

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I've tried both methods - end up using a combination on the course. Maybe that's why i'm a bad putter! I love putting and I believe I can hole all realistic opportunities - but by stroke isn't consistent enough.

From 5 feet in i'd remain quite square. Then for long putts i would (have to) use the arc method. My problem is the putts in between!

So i've invested in a Seemore to MAKE me use the arc all the time. Can't wait to sort out my putting!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I've tried both methods - end up using a combination on the course. Maybe that's why i'm a bad putter! I love putting and I believe I can hole all realistic opportunities - but by stroke isn't consistent enough.

i have the same issue... my stroke just is not consistent enough. I used to be able to putt very well, and then my friend told me that i was doing it wrong and tried to change my stroke. ever since then, i have had a difficult time gaining consistency. this past summer, i switched from having my hands like a baseball grip when i putt, to having my left hand under, which definitely helped me regain a little bit of consistency.

a bad day on the golf course is always better than a good day at work."

http://www.golfenthusiastic.com

I switched last year to the left hand on bottom grip, and it helped my putting quite a bit. It just feels like it promotes more of a pendulum stroke for me. I also invested in a center shafted putter (red x 2) and I think that has helped my consistency too. I feel very confident over a putt that is 10 ft. or in.

Hi-bore - 8.5* w/ 77g UST ProForce v2 stiff

PT- 21* x100 shaft

Ta3- Form Forged s300 shaftsVokey 52* 56*- Red X2 center shafted 33" ProV1x- High Numbers only (5's)

Note: This thread is 5953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!