IGNORED

Wedge 56* vs 58*

Note: This thread is 5731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you only had room for one more wedge in your bag... and you had to decide between a 56* and a 58*... which one would you choose and why?

In this situation... you already have a PW and a 52* gap wedge. Thanks

13 Wedges
1 Putter

your mp 57 PW is 47 degrees and you have a 52 degree I would get the 56 degree wedge since I have the same set up and I hit these distances:

pw 130 yards
52 100 yards
56 90 yards
60 80 yards

Do you know what bounce you want?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

your mp 57 PW is 47 degrees and you have a 52 degree I would get the 56 degree wedge since I have the same set up and I hit these distances:

I agree. Bounce becomes the question. Your gap wedge is probably a 52.10. If your traps are fluffy or you plan to hit it out of the deeper rough lies, you may compliment with a 56.14.

/J6

i15 w/Diamana Blue 9.5
G10 w/Prolaunch Red 17
Raylor 19* 909h 21 MB 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 60* Circa 62 No 7

This is a great question, because I'm inthe wedge ??ing myself.

I have a PW with X-forged that's 47, plus I have a 48* Vokey, a 52* Crappy, a 56*Mizzy and a 60* Titleist. I'm probably going to stay with the 48* instead of the PW, but I was debating what to dod form there.. got 52* 56* 60 or 52* 58*?

Sorry for hijacking, but I'm searching for the same advice.

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

Simple is best as far as I am concerned......thats why to compliment my 46 AP2 Pitching Wedge, I've ordered the 54/10 & 60/04 Spin Milled Vokey's

In my Bag:
909D2 10.5deg DFX Stiff
WarBird 5 Wood - steel shaft.
Titleist AP2 3-PW
Vokey Spin Milled 54 & 60deg 2 Ball Ball : ProV's.

I disagree with the 56* addition. I would go for the 58* wedge. A 58* wedge with the proper sole grind is like having a 56* and 60* combined. It's probably the most versatile wedge you can have. Just ask Stan Utley. Nevertheless, a 47*-52*-58* combo is, dare I say, ideal?

I disagree with the 56* addition. I would go for the 58* wedge. A 58* wedge with the proper sole grind is like having a 56* and 60* combined. It's probably the most versatile wedge you can have. Just ask Stan Utley. Nevertheless, a 47*-52*-58* combo is, dare I say, ideal?

I was thinking the same thing but wasnt sure. I feel like my wedges are too light and was going to change to a heavier forged blade style wedge. I was looking at the Mizuno and Callaway but I was concerned with the bounce on the 58 degree wedges only being 10. This would still be my primary sand club so I am not sure if that would be enough bounce to handle the task. My current setup is 14 with the 56* and 10 with the 52*.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I do not carry a 60* wedge ... no room. I would like a higher bounce than 10 for whatever wedge I buy but I am having a hard time finding something higher than 10 in a 58* wedge.

Im starting to think I should buy a 56* and have it bent a degree leaving me a setup of... 47.6 52.10 57.14

13 Wedges
1 Putter

• 3 months later...
I would say go with the 58. The average bounce for a 58 degree wedges is about 10 degrees, but some have 12 degrees of bounce (such as the Vokey Spin Milled). The 56 degree wedge with 12 or 14 degrees of bounce is a great sand/utility wedge, but IMHO the 58 is a slightly better all around wedge, even more so if you play on fast greens.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

I pretty much agree with this.

I actually play 46-52-58 so 1* different on the P, otherwise the same. I would also add the 52 is pretty versatile too, because you can use it as normal, but if you open it up, you can have enough bounce for use from sand.

So what do you guys think about bending the 56 into a 57?

The only potential pitfall of this is that you are going to lose 1 degree of bounce if you adjust the 56 to a 57.

As for the question of which to add and why, I would say it depends what you intend to use the club for and what your needs are. A 58* is what I carry, but that's because I carry a 54* sandwedge. Personally I have always found a higher lofted wedge more difficult to hit out of the sand. I like a stronger high bounce wedge for sand traps, thick rough and wet/soft fairway conditions. My current wedge configuration is PW (45), GW (50), SW (54/12), LW (58/10). I can use the LW out of the bunker and like conditions, but most of the time I use the 54*. My advice would be to go with the 56* initially and if you find a need for a higher lofted wedge in the future look into a 60* (or higher) at that time. Of course, this all depends on your swing and what you feel most comfortable. None of us can really tell you what is best for you not knowing your swing, the courses you play or what you personally prefer.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

The only potential pitfall of this is that you are going to lose 1 degree of bounce if you adjust the 56 to a 57.

Wouldn't you gain 1 degree of bounce?

I thought bounce and loft were proportional. Edit: After re-reading this is better worded as; when changing the loft, loft and bounce are proportional.

You are correct - bending 56* to 57* would ADD 1 degree of bounce. Sorry, I need to cut back on the Bloody Mary's for breakfast .

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Id get the 58 no question. It allows you to hit shots like flop, semi-flop, bump and run etc.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Ask yourself what you hit your pitching wedge and your 52,then choose what yardage you are looking for and select either wedge for it,my choice would be the 56,but thats my choice as i play pitching wedge,52, and 56.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Note: This thread is 5731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!