IGNORED

Premium Balls by an High Handicapper

Note: This thread is 5710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hi,
since a few months I'm using the nike juice balls, and I really like these balls. But today I tried for the first time the callaway ix, and I felt in love, specially for the short game and feeling.
But I would like to know If there are some cons. as I'm a high handicap player.

bag:
hybdrid: XM1 24°
irons: XM1 (5-PW)
wedges: x-forged 56°
putter: Karsten B60balls: juice ix

Cons:
--It costs more if you lose a ball
--Higher spin balls result in more pronounced hooks and slices

If you can afford them and can control them (specifically off the tee) then there isn't really a downside.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

Yeah, there's really no cons other than a thinner wallet.

When I was a high handicapper, I stayed away from the premium balls because I would lose at least 2-3 in a round. Once you start losing balls like that, it's not so fun anymore. It's almost like throwing away money.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

If you want premium high end balls but don't want to take the hit in the wallet pick up some AAA quality ones from lostgolfballs.com they're about half the price and almost new condition.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

I find great AAA balls at TJ Max. It sounds funny but its true.

ProV1/ProV1x are like $10 for a dozen. I still think these AAA balls are better than some of the brand new ones.

Another option is Titleist X-outs.

Our local WalMart sells them for $10 a dozen. I was lucky last time and bought a dozen that turned out to all NXT Tours.

I haven't seen any performance difference with the X-out over the regular ball....sometimes I can't even spot the blemish.

I don't believe you can use them for tournament play, but that's no biggie as you'd be playing your best balls then anyway.

How about giving the Top Flite (Callaway) Gamer a try? The are $20 / dozen new and are super balls. Great distance, great spin, great around the greens, etc.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

My position on this issue probably makes little sense to some, but It's just how I roll.

1. I can't bring myself to spend almost $4 a ball on Pro VI's or any other premium ball. My game just doesn't warrant it, and my golf budget is fairly tight.

2. I have a superstitious/psychological issue with paying money for, and using someone else's lost or throwaway balls. Same thing with x-outs. Maybe for the shag bag, but not on the course. Also, I like the feeling of opening a new sleeve.

So I wait for midrange balls that I have heard good things about (like the maxfli fire) to go on supersale, and I stock up. I've also bought quite a few of the Costco Titleist Tour Prestige double dozens.

So, I guess I would say if money's not an issue, why not buy new premium balls?

If you don't have any possibly irrational issues with used or blemished balls, why not buy x-outs or AAA's?

Otherwise, do what I do and what for decent mid-range balls to go on super-sale and stock up

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

NXT Tours aren't "premium" balls. And I wouldn't consider myself "lucky" to find them as I dislike them extremely. Different strokes for different folks.

To the OP, if you can afford them, play what you like, but spin rate is definitely a factor. Too much spin can be harder to control on full shots, especially for a high handicapper. The ball will either hook or slice (the slice is more likely for the high handicapper) to much, or too much backspin from the driver will cause too high a ball flight, and ultimately will cost you distance. Add the backspin and slice spin together and you will cheat yourself of a lot of length. Short game feel alone isn't always a good enough reason to play a certain ball. I'm a considerably lower handicapper than you, but I've recently changed to the Callaway Warbird, a cheap 2 piece ball, and it performs well for me across the spectrum of different shots. I was always a confirmed believer in premium balls (Titleist Pro V1x was my preference), but I've been pulling back on that philosophy lately. I get better distance, good action on approach shots, and good feel around the greens with the cheaper ball, so I figure why pay more for no better result? The truth is, no matter what ball you choose, it isn't going to be a magic bullet for a 30+ handicapper. Lessons and practice are what you need to get better, and once you are hitting the ball fairly consistently, then you can make a more informed decision on what ball is really right for you.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I were a high handicap golfer I would play the MC lady or Costco's Titleist golf ball because of the price to value.

MC Lady Precept $8 for a box of 12 balls
Costco Titleist $29.99 for 2 boxes or 24 balls

another words play the least expensive ball and have fun.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Balls are not Xouts due to superficial appearance only but can be pulled out because they are too heavy or too long which makes them desirable for us hackers.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Price is not a factor yet. i recived 6 ix a present from callaway. I saw some slice from the tee but I can't say if it is the ball or the swing. Tomorrow I will try to go back to nike juice and I will see.

bag:
hybdrid: XM1 24°
irons: XM1 (5-PW)
wedges: x-forged 56°
putter: Karsten B60balls: juice ix

Just my 2 cent's,

I have tried most brands and models. Most "tour" balls exaggerate my faults and it bothers me to lose of scuff a 4 dollar egg. I have found my new ball in the Top Flite D2 feel. It is a great 2 piece, performs real well and at under a buck a piece I don't mind losing one or throwing a slight scuff in my shag bag.
In My Datek Bag
Driver R7 Quad 425cc 10.5* Regular
3 Wood War Bird + 1.5" Regular
Hybrids Idea A2 OS 3-6 +1" Senior
Irons Idea A2 OS 7-PW +1" SeniorWedges Purespin 54, 60 Putter VooDoo Daddy Ball One VaporCart Speedcart

My stance comes from where I play. I play a resonably challanging course with a lot of cliffs and LONG native grasses. There are times when I have off days and hit it wrong off a cliff. I can see the ball but sometimes I just don't want to go down this hill and get it. so I just bite tue bullet and take a drop. That being said my ball of choice is the noodle L&S.; Good ball for the money and you can generaly fid them at wal mart. good for me seeing that the closest Wal Mart is 5 miles from my course and the closest thing to buy top end balls is about 25 away at dicks. I don't do tourneys or anything. I just go out to have fun and that is a good ball for close to 15 bucks give or take depending on sales ect.

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

I would concur with the lack of downside except cost.

I personally like the feel of the higher spin, 3 piece balls.

And the ebay lessor quality recycled/used balls are really quite nice. From my vantage point, they still play quite well. After a hole or three, I would be hard pressed to determine which was new and which was "used".

At a $1 or less/ball including shipping, you really cannot go wrong for a $3-4 ball.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

I like the Wilson Staff 50/50 ball. It's a two piece low compression ball. At a local golf shop the long time owner of the place told me that the 50/50 ball was probably the longest ball they sell. The low compression means easy compressability off the driver with low spin and those two factors equal longer drives. The soft feel of the ball also makes it playable around the green (chipping, pitching, and putting), at least it does for me. At $15 a dozen the price is hard to beat. If you like a 3 piece (supposedly for more spin on the green with your irons) Wilson Staff makes the Zip ball. A low compression three piece that goes for $16 a dozen. I've played and like both of these balls but I'm leaning toward the 50/50 for better forgiveness off the tee at a reasonable price.

I've got a 2 sleeves of ProV1x's, 2 sleeves of Callaway Tour Ix's, and two sleeves of Bridgestone e6+'s. I got the Callaway's in the mail for free and the others I purchased earlier this year. All are great balls for my game, but the Wilson balls play just as well if not better and the fact that they are cheaper make this a no brainer for me.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I just spent a couple of weeks trying out a BUNCH of balls. Bridgestone e5 e6 and the new 330-rx. Calloway hx hot and hx hot bite. Titleist Pro V1 and V1x. Top Flite Gamer.

For my game there was a clear winner: the Top Flite Gamer. Easy off the tee, nice and long enough. Great with the irons - held on the greens. And the best thing for me is that they have a great feel off my putter. I really don't care about the price of balls since I don't lose them so much anymore, but it is nice that the gamers are so inexpensive.

My game wasn't well suited for any of the other balls with the exception of the RX. At over twice the price and not as good a fit for me, though, they're not going to get any more play. Top Flite balls used to be hard and would skip off greens. These Gamers are great!

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Note: This thread is 5710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!