IGNORED

Darius Rucker & Country Music

Dent
Note: This thread is 5704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For all you country music fans - Darius Rucker AKA Hootie has just entered the country music business:

For those who don't know Darius Rucker, he is an African American who used to play for the band Hootie and the Blowfish which was popular in the mid 90's, and split August 27th 2008 so Darius could pursue his Solo Country Music career.

I decided to post this because I am very intrigued by this artist. Mainly (to bring up a strong subject) because he is black. He has just launched his country career and debuted with the song "Don't Think I Don't Think About It" which to me is the most amazing song I have ever heard.

Back on subject: I do not intend any racism what so ever here. I love this artist because he is an African American with an amazing voice, which so does sound like a true country music artist. Most black guys are to be stereotyped to be into the rap scene and everything, but this guy has deeply proved a lot of people wrong with his classic country voice and his lyrics. I believe he is currently the only black man to be in the country industry or at least widely known throughout the world for his new album soon to be released.

I really didn't get deep into specifics about this subject, but am just simply amazed because of his race and what he can do in the industry. I can assure you alot of people think "Oh he's black he can't sing country!" Which Darius Rucker has proven wrong. You really wouldn't beleive with his voice, that is he black. You would have to know him or see the video to know.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, and hopefully can understand what I'm getting at, and that I didn't word anything incorrectly so you may take offense. This artist is just amazing. Anyone else heard his new song?

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Wow, I had no idea that was "Hootie!" Let alone that he was not a white guy. Yes, I have heard that song.

Anyone remember Charlie Pride? Same thing; the story I heard was he became popular on radio and when he went on tour everyone freaked when they found out he was black! No one had a clue. I don't think it hurt his popularity though, even back in the day when race "mattered." <<
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Wow, I had no idea that was "Hootie!" Let alone that he was not a white guy. Yes, I have heard that song.

Exactly what I'm trying to get at. Nobody would know he was black if they just loved his song on the radio and never seen his video or knew him.

In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I've always been a big fan of Darius Rucker. When I first heard he was getting into the country music industry, I was a little skeptical. However, after hearing "Don't Think I Don't Think About It," I was very impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing how his country music career goes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I heard that song for the first time about 2 weeks ago ... and as I was listening to it I was like, "wow, that voice sounds so familiar!" and I couldn't put my finger on who it was ... it wasn't until the third time I heard it then the DJ said the name of the song and artist and I was like "HOOTIE! Doing country??? That's awesome!"
In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

I couldn't beleive it until I heard this video. I am just simply amazed by him.

At first I thought it was Montgomery Gentry when I heard it on the radio.
In My Bag

Don't Think I Don't Think About It started played on satellite radio at the end of Spring and ever since I have thought the song was terrible.

I loved Hoote & The Blowfish (and still listen to Cracked Rear View ) but the song is just... ugh. I always thought he had the right sound for country music, but the song they chose for his first single isn't very good for any genre.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

I never liked Hootie, and I don't like this. Mainstream, radio-ready pop or country just have little appeal to me.

Give me some good ole Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, and of course, the Cash (and Loretta, and Dwight, Gram Parsons, etc...). For today's country, I like the "alt" variety; Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Neko Case, Clem Snide,

and Ryan Adams!:

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

God I can't stand Ryan Adams.

I'll take Cross Canadian Ragweed and Reckless Kelly:

CCRw, "Boys from Oklahoma"

Reckless Kelly, "Don't Break My Heart Tonight"

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

I don't think it sounds much different from his Hootie & the Blowfish days. Actually, much of the modern country music genre sounds much like (or at least somewhat similar to) the pop-alt. from when Cracked Rear View came out.

That said.... I think it sounds pretty good. Was a bit of a fan of Hootie and this isn't much different....which is ok.

I lost all respect for Nashville when they started pimping a bunch of poofs with frosted hair wearing turtlenecks as country artists.

Give me Max Stalling, 1100 Springs, CCR, Daril Dodd, Hank III (plus Assjack, I still love punk too), Robert Earl Keen, Shooter Jennings, Randy Rogers, Brian Burns, Ray Wylie Hubbard and the rest of their ilk any day.

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

Yep - Cracked Rear View was one of the first albums I ever bought with my own money (I think it was the second cuz the first was definitely Dookie by Green Day). Being in NYC, we don't hear much country - hard to believe Darius got into this game! Sounds good tho - thanks for the heads up!

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I don't think Darius is Hootie. I seem to remember hearing this in an interview when they were popular.

R9 SuperTri 10.5*
Exotics XCG-3 4W 16.5*
Idea Pro 18* and/or 20*
i15
X-Tour 54/60PM Trinidad TP Black LDPAll in a SCB and MicroCart

Duffer is actually right about him not being "Hootie." Actually, on his website, he mentions that he wanted Hootie and the Blowfish to play country music but was out-voted!

Wikipedia isn't necessarily 100% right about stuff, but for what it's worth"

From Wikipedia:

Darius Rucker (born May 13, 1966 in Charleston, South Carolina[1]) is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist of the American rock band Hootie & the Blowfish, of which he has been a member since the band's inception in 1989. He does not and never has gone by the nickname "Hootie".

Along with his work in Hootie & the Blowfish, Rucker recorded one studio album, entitled Back to Then, on Hidden Beach Recordings in 2002. In 2008, he signed to Capitol Records Nashville and charted his first solo single, "Don't Think I Don't Think About It", which will be included on his first country music album, Learn to Live.

Musical career
Rucker has been a member of Hootie & the Blowfish since their formation in 1989. He met fellow band members, Mark Bryan, Jim "Soni" Sonefeld, and Dean Felber, while attending the University of South Carolina. In 2001, he made his solo R&B; debut album The Return of Mongo Slade for Atlantic Records. Because of contractual changes, it was never released by the label.[1] Hidden Beach Recordings, an independent label, acquired the masters from Atlantic, releasing the album as Back to Then in July 2002.[1]

Rucker also portrayed a singing cowboy in a television commercial for the fast food chain Burger King, promoting their TenderCrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch sandwich in 2005. In the commercial, he sang a parody of "Big Rock Candy Mountain".[2]

Country music
One of Rucker's first appearances in country music was as a background vocalist on Radney Foster's 1998 album See What You Want to See. He sang background vocals on the track "Raining on Sunday", which was later a Top 5 hit in 2003 for Keith Urban.

In early 2008, Rucker signed to Capitol Records Nashville as the beginning of a career in country music. His first solo single, "Don't Think I Don't Think About It" (which he co-wrote with Clay Mills) debuted at #51 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts for the week of May 3, 2008. It is the first single from his upcoming second album, Learn to Live.[3] Rucker also made his Grand Ole Opry debut in July 2008.[4] "Don't Think I Don't Think About It" reached Top 20 on the country charts in July 2008, making him the first African-American singer to reach Top 20 on the country charts since Charley Pride in 1988.[5] The song also hit the Top 5 in September 2008 marking the first time that an African-American singer has reached the Top 5 since Charley Pride did so with "Shouldn't It Be Easier Than This" in early 1988.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I don't think Darius is Hootie. I seem to remember hearing this in an interview when they were popular.

Hootie & The Blowfish was the name of the band that Darius was the lead singer of....not that anyone ever called him Hootie. Is kinda like Jethro Tull....no person in the band including the lead singer (Ian Anderson) was ever called Jethro Tull.

Hootie and the Blowfish market has passed him by. Those who WERE in the music buying stages of their lives and maybe bought a HBF album are passed the age of buying records.

Where can the guy go? He chose a direction (modern country) that has the widest demographic of any music genre today. Teens to grandfolk listen to MC on TV, radio and this segment is booming.

Darius wouldn't be accepted in the urban music scene. He's too clean. He's invited to play golf in pro-ams. It's yet to be seen whether or not MC will embrace him, though. My bet is limited interest at best. He had good 'cross-over' power while popular which is a current mainstay for a successful modern country artist--and I use that term lightly--many of whom enjoy cross-over exposure in media beyond modern country radio.

On the downside for Hootie, it's the age thing. Modern Country is the biggest 'star mill' out there. Most with backing are really hot looking 18-24 year old singers that are polished by corporate music. They put them with a band, songs are written for them and the labels ride them until they make it or bust. And there are hundreds more waiting in the wings to become the next 'hot item' in modern country music.

Good luck to Hootie. He might gain some market share from the cross-over market of people approaching 40! Here's an idea--maybe he could do a show with Jessica Simpson!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!