IGNORED

Short game really does matter..

Maverick
Note: This thread is 6602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am now a firm believer that the short game is so important in lowering your index/score. Lately, I've been serious about my game and have had more opportunities than not to convert the up and downs.

I really realized the importance of this when I'm on the green to save par with a makeable par putt. Now, this maybe the wrong attitude to have, but unless you're getting the ball close to GIR's I think this part of the game doesn't really register yet..but it has for me now.

Last week I couldn't believe how many 2-3 footers putts I should've made to save par. I can see this is where I'm going to lower my index this year. Does this make sense?

Absolutely, positively, yes. Improving your short game will have a tremendous effect on lowering your index.

I keep stats on what I do on the course (fairways hit, greens in reg, putts, up and downs). I find that even if I do poorly in my ballstriking, I can salvage a good score with scrambling and putting.

My main focus was to get out of the "lag" mentality. I had to get it out of my head that just getting it close was "good enough." In order to score well, you've really got to make some putts.

It seems like I'm stating the obvious, but for higher handicap players (like myself), so many times the mentality of getting it close acts as a hinderance more than anything.

It goes something like this: Par four. I pull my drive into the left rough. Hit a nice shot out of the rough which gets on the green, but twenty feet away. Get up to the green, line up the putt -- just try to get it close -- and come up four feet short, or three feet long. Mission accomplished, I got it close. Proceed to miss the par putt.

Because all I was trying to do was lag it up there, after I've done so, I find myself relaxing a little mentally, then put a loose stroke on my par putt.

I find that if I really TRY to make that twenty-footer, my misses are a little closer, and I'm more focused over the second putt.

Two-putts are nice, but that's assuming you're on in regulation on every hole. You've really got to work some one-putts into your scorecard to get your score down...

Of course, I'm still just a chop, but I think everyone would universally agree that working your short game is the quickest way to lower scores.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I used to think golf was a game of distance and accuracy, but it is a game of recovery i learned this when playing with a decent pro, yes his ball striking was ok but it wasn't great but his short game was top notch and as result he shot 71 (par 72) , i then started to see that most bogeys are silly short game errors or things that could be recovered by having a good short game. So i read the Dave Pelz Short Game bible his techniques make sense,are proven and work under pressure and put into practice the things he suggests. The book is one of the main reasons how i reduced my handicap as i still only average 7 GIR which is poor considering my handicap.
What ragontona says makes sense Dave Pelz says that your makeable putts (putts less than 30-35 ft) you should focus on rolling the putt at the correct speed to roll the putt into the hole no matter the break or slope not just be happy to get it close, he proves the optimum speed is 17 inch past this may seem odd but the book explains it, but over 35 ft you should focus on 6ft diameter circle. Sports pyschologist Bob Rotella says that you should pick the smallest target possible this is how your brain works best, dont aim at a tree in the distance aim at a specific branch of the tree. Davis Love III worked with Bob Rotella and won many tournaments in severe pressure (obviously) he said he aimed at a specific letter in a sponsor banner when he won one tournament, it helps because you are totally focussed in what your doing. In the short game your targets have got to be even smaller.
I recommend reading the Dave Pelz Short Game Bible especially,this really helped my handicap, and also the Dave Pelz Putting Bible is good.

In My Bag:
Driver: Trusty Taylormade 8.5 R580 X Stiff Graffaloy Blue
Wood: Titleist 980F 17.0 (4 wood) Precison Rifle 6.5
Irons: Ben Hogan Apex Plus (3-9i) Precision Rifle 6.5
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 series 48,52,56,60Putter:MacGregor M5K "Bobby Grace"Ball: Pro V1

My main focus was to get out of the "lag" mentality. I had to get it out of my head that just getting it close was "good enough." In order to score well,

So true..I really think the the whole "short game" doesn't register until you start playing at a level where you have realistic up and down opportunities. I think you get better when you play better..if this makes sense. I remember years when I started and I would be lying 4 on a par 4 with 200 left..what's the point. I guess when the possibility of saving par is realistic is when the whole short game really makes an impact. I can also see why some people want to wrap their putter around a tree too.

I can also see why some people want to wrap their putter around a tree too.

Seriously, I can't tell you how many times per round I mutter, "This effing putter's going on ebay."

Seriously, I can't tell you how many times per round I mutter, "This effing putter's going on ebay."

A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Of course I've only had a few days where I've felt like a craftsman on the greens. Usually I feel like a teenager in shop class.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After missing probably 6 three-footers (probably more) over the past 2 days I could not agree more. Add to that 2 or 3 flubbed chips where the ball only went a few feet and 1 or 2 where I sculled it and sent it to the other side of the green and I went from being able to easily break 50 (9 holes) to kicking myself for just missing 50. I won't even talk about my struggles with distance control with my 3 wedges today :(

But I did decide that I will probably double the amount of work I do with my wedges when I am at the range and I will also spend at least 20 minutes before each round on putting and short chips. I also may start frequenting driving ranges with short game areas and/or putting greens (which is a pain, as I work part-time at my regular range so it is always free for me. Starting to pay will suck :p )

But I have to disagree with Maverick when he says, "I really think the the whole "short game" doesn't register until you start playing at a level where you have realistic up and down opportunities." EVERYONE should worry about the short game. At my level it is easily the difference between 103 and 98. Sure that is only 5 stroks, but there is a huge difference beween shooting over 100 and shooting under 100.

(I don't actually disagree with Maverick, I am just saying people of all levels should change the way the practice).

A good craftsman never blames his tools.

I am the furthest thing from a Craftsman as there can be on the course.

Unless Craftsman means, "Mulligan-taking chop that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (unless said barn is located in the deep rough on the left side of the fairway)." Then, in that case, I'm all over it.

I am going to work on chipping. Cant get mad at the putter if you chip it two inches away!

Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

After missing probably 6 three-footers (probably more) over the past 2 days I could not agree more. Add to that 2 or 3 flubbed chips where the ball only went a few feet and 1 or 2 where I sculled it and sent it to the other side of the green and I went from being able to easily break 50 (9 holes) to kicking myself for just missing 50. I won't even talk about my struggles with distance control with my 3 wedges today :(

I still do believe that to really take chunks out of your index you need to be able to get down the fairway and make your approaches..one of my earlier hurdles was duffing the approach shots after a great tee shot.

I'm sure the stats say otherwise, but I think there are "gross" motor skill shots and then your "fine" motor skills shots..it's easier to have success with the "gross" motor skills than the "fine" ones..in the early stages..(your "yet to break" 100 players)..but once you get down to your borderline 80-90 player then I think he/she will further lower his score with the short game. I just think that your average player, me, gets good by getting good in one part of his game and then conquers another part..but not BOTH at once..it's just too much pie to eat.. It seems easer to chop wood first than to be skilled at whittling..no?

While I tend to agree with your sentiment, I'd say that even higher handicap players will get more benefit out of short game work. It may be easier to make headway with the "gross" motor skill shots, but when I was learning I found that short game work taught me better control over where the clubface was at impact. Plus, you have the benefit of being able to get yourself out of some tight spots after good long shots. The putting green, the chipping green, and practice bunkers are a great place to spend your time in this offseason, especially if your course/range like mine puts mats down in the winter preventing grass practice.

Regards,
-Dave
Driver: Nike Sasquatch Tour, Aldila NV-75 Green
3-wood: Nike Sasquatch, Stock Diamana
Irons: Nike Pro Combo Forged, Stock Speed Step
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 54*,60*
Putter: Titleist/Cameron Red X2Ball: Nike One BlackHome Course: Germantown Country Club

I agree that the short game is soo important, more shots are played around the greens that getting to the actual green itself, although i have read somewhere that someone commented on power means nothing. Power actually helps soo much as it leaves the next shot with a shorter distance = better control around greens, although accuracy is just as important. To me, Id rather be very long off the tee (which i am anyway) and less accurate than short but very accurate as theres always chances of being able to hit a clean shot from a good lie in the rough. I would much prefer an 8 iron from rough than a 3 iron from the fairway. Then again thats just opinion and would expect a lot of bigger hitters to agree like Bubba Watson Then again, bubba isnt a big hitter, hes in a much higher league.... Probably trans-atlantic distance... soooo long!!! he must have spark plugs in his Pink Shafted Ping G5 Club Head and petrol in his golf balls

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

I shot my lowest round this year, 82, yesterday. I had converted 4 out of 11 up and down opportunities. The other seven were decent chips back on, with 3-4 footers to save par and ended up with tap in bogeys. I believe this will be the key to going any lower..CONVERT..CONVERT..CONVERT!! Had I made just 3 more up and downs I would've broke 80..golf is getting exciting and fun again I think I'm grasping the next plateau of my game.

I think its a pretty foregone conclusion that short game is important. Something like 70% of all shots are from 120yds and in. Here's a one good example I have: a few friends and I were playing my home course from the blue tees (something like 6900 yds, not huge) but I was having an absolutely terrible driving day. I was hitting the ugliest, lowest hooks you've ever seen. These weren't duck-hooks, they were teradactyl-hooks. I hit 1 fairway on the day and 1 GIR to go with it. However, I was playing out of my mind around the greens. Chipping and pitching my way to a somewhat respectable 80. I don't think I had one putt over 3 feet if I was anywhere near the green for my third.

Its kind of strange, but I've noticed when one part of my game is lagging, another part steps up and saves the day.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

Its kind of strange, but I've noticed when one part of my game is lagging, another part steps up and saves the day.

so true..I just didn't appreciate the importance of the short game until recently when my chipping and putting were really working in unison and I was having realistic opportunities to get up and down to save..if this makes sense.

• Administrator
I shot my lowest round this year, 82, yesterday. I had converted 4 out of 11 up and down opportunities. The other seven were decent chips back on, with 3-4 footers to save par and ended up with tap in bogeys. I believe this will be the key to going any lower..CONVERT..CONVERT..CONVERT!! Had I made just 3 more up and downs I would've broke 80..golf is getting exciting and fun again

Just look at the pros - even the GIR leader is only ever around, what, 65%? That's 11 or 12 greens per round. And when you consider the pros almost always have a putt for birdie on par 5s, that means they're missing nearly as many greens as they're hitting.

Also, any of Dave's Numbers Game articles stress the importance of putting and the short game, you bet.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to agree, reguardless of skill level, its essential to have a short game. Also, I think if you want the easiest way to improve your score, its to improve your play from 75yards to 25yards. Around the greens there are so many options and its up to personal preference, chipping with wedges, using 6 or 7irons, maybe a 5wood or a putter from the fringe. However, the "pitch" is constantly overlooked and its a great way to get yourself in scoring position or to recover. I found working with my wedges to gain distance and spin control on pitch shots took my game to a higher level.
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with Maverick, the importance of short game becomes acutely obvious once your play elevates to the level where up and down opportunities and long birdie putts become a common element of the game.

Another way of saying what I mean is (I HATE WASTING TWO GOOD SWINGS) yesterday I placed the perfect three wood on a short par 4 (to 15 yards) from the pin only 5 yards to the green and took a par because of a very poor chip shot.... Next hole poor second shot (shanked it right) then a perfect flop shot and a 1 putt for par (yea!) then a par 5 with water right yup! you guessed it I am hitting three at the drop area o.k. relax and blasted a 5 wood placed the 4th shot 40 plus feet from the pin and took 3 putts (it only took three swings to cover 500 yards yet it took 4 strokes to complete the last 45 yards (this game drives me crazy) I am so hooked... grin

Dale Alsandor

What's in the bag:KZG Gemini 460 with MATRIX stiff shaft (blue)Sonartec NP 15 degree fairway metalSonartec 5 fairway metal 21 degree with MATRIX stiff shaft (blue)Cleveland HALO 19 degree with stock stiff shaftHogan CFT 28 degree hybrid KZG Evolution Irons with Nippon 1050...

Note: This thread is 6602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!