IGNORED

How do you cope w/ slow play in your group?

kekoa
Note: This thread is 5698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont think myself or Chief were talking about chatting while on the course. But the fact is we live in a day and age where family and business need to get a hold of you. To say that people should leave phones in the car and if someone needs them to have them call the clubhouse and the clubhouse will find them seems a little over the top.

My point being Birdieman that it has to be pretty serious to interupt your game. If people new you could only be contacted through the clubhouse they would be more inclined to not call you in the first place

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

No he said the group ahead aswell.

I just try and focus on what i'm doing, if someone takes ages over their shot I just let them.

I can't say i've had someone take like more than 1 minute per shot though.

My Clubs

Driver Ben Sayers MX7
3 & 4 woods Ben Sayers MX7
Utility 3 wood Ben Sayers M86 - 9 Irons Ben Sayers NRG 200Wedges Ben Sayers NRG 200

I can't say i've had someone take like more than 1 minute per shot though.

I suppose for me it depends when you start timing. There's one guy who takes about 90-120 seconds before each shot. BUT...that's after he picks his club and starts his ridiculous sloth routine. My real problem with him is that he doesn't move to his ball, figure out distance, and pick a club as soon as possible. He sits around, watches other people's shots, stares into space, etc. He wastes a ton of time when he could and should be 'in position and getting ready', and that adds a minute or two to the whole routine. It's maddening. Scratch that, it *was* maddening - it's someone else's problem now!! (Unless he ends up in front of me some day - oy!)

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I suppose for me it depends when you start timing. There's one guy who takes about 90-120 seconds before each shot. BUT...that's after he picks his club and starts his ridiculous sloth routine. My real problem with him is that he doesn't move to his ball, figure out distance, and pick a club as soon as possible. He sits around, watches other people's shots, stares into space, etc. He wastes a ton of time when he could and should be 'in position and getting ready', and that adds a minute or two to the whole routine. It's maddening. Scratch that, it *was* maddening - it's someone else's problem now!! (Unless he ends up in front of me some day - oy!)

Yeah, I think I'm playing with that guy on Thursday!

He's a good friend of mine who loves to play (one of my few friends that does), so I usually go with him. But WTF! I'm fine with the extra practice swings and visualization, even though he's managed to get WORSE over the last year. It's the lack of preparation that kills me. Don't wait until my shot hits the green and you've commented on the shot to decide what club to hit. Maddening!

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

I know that it is frustrating to have slow play however I just started playing about two months ago and like to take a little more time than average players. This is because if I dont take the time to make a few practice swings and get comfortable I start losing balls.

I think that if someone is slow in the group then they should tell the rest of the group before they begin playing. This way your warned and besides it'll give you more time to get ready to play.
Driver:Ping Karsten-I
3-4 Wood:Ping Karsten-I
Hybrids:Alien Golf TI Matrix, Ginty Stan Thompson
5-P Irons:Alien Golf Tour Gold
Putter:Ping Karsten B60

I like having a really slow player because that means i get to play slow which is what i actually like because i like to take as much time as possible on my shots without anoying the gang

I like having a really slow player because that means i get to play slow which is what i actually like because i like to take as much time as possible on my shots without anoying the gang

I'm sure the "gang" behind you loves you for it, too

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

I enjoy being on the golf course, so I never let slow play get to me. I will never understand the people who get pissed off enough to yell at other people, hit into other people (which could possibly KILL someone), or even want to fight because of it. I completely understand that noone wants to wait 15 minutes at every tee and play a 5-6 hour round of golf......but its just a game. I have seen people get WAY too upset over something a small as a group playing slow cause they are beginners. However, there is no excuse for the whole 5 minute pre-shot routine, regardless if the player is scratch or playing off 30.

I enjoy being on the golf course, so I never let slow play get to me. I will never understand the people who get pissed off enough to yell at other people, hit into other people (which could possibly KILL someone), or even want to fight because of it. I completely understand that noone wants to wait 15 minutes at every tee and play a 5-6 hour round of golf......but its just a game. I have seen people get WAY too upset over something a small as a group playing slow cause they are beginners. However, there is no excuse for the whole 5 minute pre-shot routine, regardless if the player is scratch or playing off 30.

You are exactly correct. It is just a game that hopefully the people playing it enjoy playing it. If someone behind you is faster then its good etiquette to let them play through. It's a gentleman's game so people should start acting like gentlemen.

Driver:Ping Karsten-I
3-4 Wood:Ping Karsten-I
Hybrids:Alien Golf TI Matrix, Ginty Stan Thompson
5-P Irons:Alien Golf Tour Gold
Putter:Ping Karsten B60

I used to be a big proponent of "No mobile phones" on the course until this day:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthr...914#post207914

I was pretty thankful that I had it on me then ... Now, I take it with me for two reasons. Firstly, it allows me to keep track of time (I don't wear watches) and if there is an emergency on the course I have it.

*Back on track*

I am of the mind set that any time on the course is good time. Slow play dosen't really bother me unless it is someone just goofing off and not being serious ... I don't mind being behind the group with the person who is learning the game in it.

If I am in that group I am always aware of what is going on around us. I will be the leader for the group and be like, "Uh guys, maybe we should just let that group behind us play though ... "

You don't to intentionally piss anyone off - right!
In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

Move to the Tampa Bay area, plenty of great courses that I really have not had to wait on (World Woods, Fox Hollow, The Dunes, Timber Greens)...now that is from April thru September though, with really great greens fees....

"In season" down here I usually play goat tracts and a few exec courses (with your regular group you still have a match going on), just to play. Also spend more time at all grass driving ranges just to hit (almost as enjoyable as playing, especially when it's backed up and more $$$ to play.)

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

if i am just playing by myself or with family/friends and it doesnt really matter, i don't worry about slow pace of play unless we are holding somebody up. generally when i am in this situation its just 9 holes and i have a lot of fun, so i will shoot 34-36 most of the time. playing with a slow group in a tournament is terrible though. thats like the life of a highschool/junior tour golfer haha. but i guess you learn to deal with it because there's not much you can do

In my Hoofer Vantage

Driver: 907D2 9.5*
Wood: 906F4 15.5* 3 wood
Hybrid: 585H 19*Irons: i10 3-pwWedges: tp black z 52* & 58*Putter: tracy II

Yesterday I played in a scramble tournament. It took 6-1/2 hours to complete 18 holes because one of the groups ahead stopped after 3 holes for a burger (and apparently fries and a coke and a nap) and everyone behind them stacked up. Compounding the problem was someone in their group who thought every shot was to win the Masters -- he lined up each 3-putt for 10 minutes. By 18 they were 7 holes behind per the clock.

It was hot. There was no wind. It was not fun. I smoked three cigars and drank 5 diet cokes and gazed thoughtfully at my playing partner for the day -- a lovely, humorous woman who thought that the "waggle" included a little "waggle" of her behind prior to every shot.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Move to the Tampa Bay area, plenty of great courses that I really have not had to wait on (World Woods, Fox Hollow, The Dunes, Timber Greens)...now that is from April thru September though, with really great greens fees....

While I agree with you, most of the courses you mentioned arent in Pinellas or Hillsborough County. Most are definately not really the Tampa Bay area. Fox Hollow Maybe. But all great places.

I thought the iPhone would be a godsend, but I get so distracted by what I'm doing on the iPhone, I forget about golf, lose my rhythm, concentration. There is nothing that mitigates slow play other than speedy play. Period. I just played a 5:45 round on Bethpage Green today. PAINFUL. Public golfers know nothing about efficient use of time. No one fixes their ball marks. No one rakes the sand traps. People are slobs.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really don't mind in my group, or someone in front of me since I am still learning. I feel bad for the people behind me though. Usually, I just enjoy being outside and actuall home, not deployed. I'll eat a snack, drink a coke, or just relax in the cart. Life is to short to worry about the little things! Oh, btw, I will always stand to the side and wave to the group behind me signaling that it is ok for them to tee off if I see that they are waiting and will always let a faster group play thru.

My bag:

Bag: TaylorMade

Driver: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S)

3W: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S),

Hy: 3 (18*) Rescue, Irons: 4-9, PW, AW TM Burner 2.0, Wedges: Rumar 56 and 60 degree, Putter: TM Ghost Blade

Ball: TM RBZ

Shoes: FootJoy DryJoys

Note: This thread is 5698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!