IGNORED

Valid Complaint or Whining? Westwood on Weekley...

EquipmentJunkie
Note: This thread is 5698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the comments on this thread are pretty strong one way or another, so as a Brit, I'll tactfully add my own thoughts as best I can, and as delicately as I can.

As I said in another post, I think some of it comes from 'good old boys' comming out to watch an event and they are not necessairly big fans of golf to begin with. They are there to be with a few buddies, have a few beers and it goes from there. Not an excuse for it as I do not like it either. But it does happen.

I don't know what the answer is. But I think Surefire made a good point. The 2 cultures do not fully understand each other. Therefore, it is easy for clashes to occur.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

...2 cultures do not fully understand each other. Therefore, it is easy for clashes to occur.

Sounds like the history of mankind. Though its probably part of the reason, lets be real here - Lee is just embarrassed he lost to an American hick with the nickname Boo...YABBADABBADOOO!

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Lee is a whining bitch, he's pissed because he lost, sore loser, period. i used to respect him and even rooted for him alittle against tiger in the us open so i am very upset to see him act this way. as far as euros having more class is bullshit also, seve ballestaros was the worst as far as gamesmanship, padraig aint much better. but i dont remember the u.s. bitching about anything the last two ass whoopings we recieved. its just like the movie "the greatest game ever" the euros just expect they should beat us because the drink tea and dont get dirty when they work. just my 2cents ie lee can have his i can have mine

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

I think Westwood is sad. NO ONE ever made any noise during his set up or swing. He's just upset they lost and he got destroyed personally. European crowds are just as bad or worse imo. The saddest thing of all is anyone defending the sour-grape complaints.

I disagree. Screaming yourself or purposefully firing up the crowd by waving your arms up and down are different things. Sergio was in control of when his screaming stopped because he was the one doing it. Weekly does not have control over how long the crowd would keep going. In both cases the opponent still has to make a putt. In Sergio's case he stops screaming and the putt can be made immediately thereafter. In Weekly's case everyone had to wait for the crowd to calm down. You cannot assume the crowd is filled with professionals who respect the opponent's needed level of concentration.

You're obviously implying the crowd made noise during Westwood's next shot. Is that the case?

Westwood less than a month ago. This guy needs therapy. _______________________________________________________ Lee Westwood sees red over Gleneagles greens Lee Westwood. Picture: Getty Images « Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryADVERTISEMENTPublished Date: 28 August 2008 LEE WESTWOOD today joined Darren Clarke in a scathing attack on the course where the 2014 Ryder Cup will be staged – and said he felt sorry for those battling this week for places in next month's match. "You can't bring the Ryder Cup onto greens like this," said the former European number one after a one-under-par 72 on the opening day of the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles. Clarke savaged the PGA Centenary Course last year, but was mild in comparison to his stablemate. Westwood's round included a four-putt double bogey on the 461-yard fifth, the last three of them from inside two feet. "They really do need digging up," he added. "I'm not a bad putter – I can't remember the last time I three-putted from 18 inches." He also attacked the undulations of the seventh green. "I think my kids could come up with a better design in an afternoon," he added. As for the six players trying to grab the last three automatic spots in Nick Faldo's side – and those trying to impress for a wild card – Westwood stated: "They are the guys I feel sorry for. "Unfortunately this tournament could be won or lost on the greens. "It's a big deal as it is and you don't want to stand over a three-footer wondering if the ball is going to run straight." Heavy recent rain has softened the putting surfaces, but Westwood was not prepared to accept that as an excuse. "I said last year the greens were awful and something needed to be done. Nothing has been done. "When you're between two valleys in Scotland you've got to expect rain," he continued. He was one of the early starters too. "What chance have you got when half the field have been over them?" he asked. Westwood was playing with Oliver Wilson, who is in the 10th and last automatic qualifying position going into this, the last counting event. Wilson managed only a three-over 76, but the good news for him was German Martin Kaymer, his closest challenger, could do no better. However, Liverpool's Nick Dougherty, who could grab a debut with a first or second-place finish at the weekend, battled away for a level-par 73. Frenchman Gregory Havret, winner of the Scottish Open last year, somehow managed a five-under 68 and led by two from his compatriot Christian Cevaer, Scot Gary Orr and England's Paul Broadhurst. Paul McGinley's already slim hopes of a wild card were not helped by a 76. Among the later starters were Clarke and Colin Montgomerie, two more of the wild card contenders, and Justin Rose, Soren Hansen and Ross Fisher, who occupy positions eight, nine and 13 in the cup race.

1) Don't double post. Edit if you have something to add.
2) Not necessarily. A crowd making noise for a long time can put a player off his routine and disrupt the flow of the match. How would you like to have to wait for a few extra minuites for noise to subside before you could try that four footer to halve the match?

EDIT: Definately don't triple post.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Oh, Well if you didn't see it...
Whats in the bag:

Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Well, they were finishing their day one fourball match on the edge of dark.
Whats in the bag:

• Administrator
Well, they were finishing their day one fourball match on the edge of dark.

It wasn't the edge of dark. I live in the same time zone, and I was almost two hours behind (watching on the DVR), and it was still light enough to play golf when play ended that day (on my TV).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

he wasn't being held up, all weekend people that were playing slow got put on a clock. that never happened during that match. so no he was not held up.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

It lookid pretty dim on my TV anyway.

And sobecat, if you want me to name a specific instances I can't help you. I'm inclined to take things at face value. So if Westwood says he was slowed up by the crowds noise, I'm going to believe him unless the evidence says otherwise. Weekley himself, the next day, commented (when asked on sky sports) that he may have stepped over the line slightly.
Whats in the bag:

It lookid pretty dim on my TV anyway.

He probably did the one time. I'm glad he was man enough to admit it. But Westwood is acting like a giant baby. It's kind of stupid for him to bite the hand that feeds him. He'll probably get the Monty treatment from here on out.

The hand that feeds him? What do you think he is? A politician? He is a golfer, the only hand that feeds him is his own. He probably couldn't care less if he gets the 'Monty treatment', whatever that may be.

He probably did the one time. I'm glad he was man enough to admit it

So therefore Westwoods complaint was not unfounded.

[/thread]
Whats in the bag:

The hand that feeds him? What do you think he is? A politician? He is a golfer, the only hand that feeds him is his own. He probably couldn't care less if he gets the 'Monty treatment', whatever that may be.

Yes, it was, because the Europeans have done the same things. Therefore, it's stupid to complain in the press about one incident. He just needs to man up. He's was mad because they were losing and now he is mad because they lost. They can't win it every time. He needs to deal with that.

He complained. Boo said yeah, he's right. I was over the line.

Point proven. Not whining. A valid complaint.
Whats in the bag:

Note: This thread is 5698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!