IGNORED

robbing clubs....

rbfoley
Note: This thread is 6646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last week, a friend's old clubs were stolen from in front of the clubhouse at one of my local courses.

My "home" course is a public municipal, and since I have relatively new clubs, I am very concerned about leaving my sticks outside the clubhouse.

What can I do to protect my clubs without being a prude?

I've begun leaving my clubs locked in the car while I go and pay for the round. I pick them up after visiting the clubhouse. Its easy to do if you've got a cart and I don't mind the extra walk if I'm hoofing it because I know that I've taken an important precaution.

I don't think you need to worry about coming across as prudish. Unfortunately club theft is one of the realities we're forced to live with. Better to take care and keep our clubs than just give them away by leaving them outside the clubhouse. Club hawks have become very good at snagging bags as its very easy to do because its next to impossible to know who's clubs belong to who.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well at least you gents only have to worry if you leave your clubs out in front of the clubhouse. Down here in the south, crooks seem more than happy to break into car trunks in search of clubs. The ready availbility of second hand golf stores that will give you cash for clubs seems to be feuling things here.
Driver: Nike Sasquatch Tour, Aldila NV-75 Green
3-wood: Nike Sasquatch, Stock Diamana
Irons: Nike Pro Combo Forged, Stock Speed Step
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 54*,60*
Putter: Titleist/Cameron Red X2Ball: Nike One BlackHome Course: Germantown Country Club

A couple of years ago at Bethpage they set up a sting for a club thief and borrowed a new set of Pings from the pro shop and while Nassau's finest were supposedly keeping watch the guy got away with them.3 days later they tried again and caught him and when they went to his house they found like 30 sets of clubs in the garage.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I always make sure my rain cover is tightly on. It's a less of a chance, that the thief will go for a "cat in a bag" or (if he decides to open it up and inspect it) give other people a chance to notice suspect behavior. If your equipment is so expensive, that it will really hurt - a couple of bucks up front for the bag drop dude with a short "could you please keep an eye on my sticks?" usually works wonders

Guess I never really thought about getting ripped off at the course. Guess it could happen pretty easy though. I usually never use the raincover for my bag. I just don't like to mess with it. Might offer a slight bit of deterent I guess.

Boy I'd sure love to catch someone trying to walk off with my bag. I think I'd have to have some bent shafts replaced after I was done.

Several Tips from the club thief capital of the world.

1. Get generic headcovers. Noone needs to know you have a brand new Ping G5 under there. OEM headcovers are as good as a sign saying steal me.

2. Throw you golf towel over the top of your irons. (Rain covers are a little gay unless its raining.)

3. The most important thing is simple. Don't ever let your clubs out of your possession unless they are locked up. I take my clubs in everywhere. If I have a bite after the round my clubs either go to the car or sit right beside me. Leaving clubs outside the clubhouse ,no matter how long, is the dumbest thing anyone can do. The point is noone can steal your clubs if your attached to them.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Now this would be a real thrill right here. How about a wireless motion activated alarm with wireless remote control. Ok here you go. http://www.pythonx1.com/

Throw it in an extra pocket and you're all set. Just imagine the look on your buddies face when you set your bag down and hit your remote and your bag starts beeping. Now that would be fun. Just imagine if someone picked it up and the alarm started going off. Tell me that wouldn't get some attention around the club house.

You know that could be a hell of gag gift too. Sneak that in your buddies bag sometime during the round and then set it off when he would least expect it. I'd love to see the look on their face when that happened.

...Throw you golf towel over the top of your irons. (Rain covers are a little gay unless its raining.)....

and towel on clubs isn't... hm... I think my bag with the rain hood on (not the plastic piece of s. but the original one, that came with the bag) looks cool. I guess whatever works. A lot of courses you have no option to "keep it with you". So far (knock on the wood) in 6 years I had nothing stolen.

that sucks that his clubs got stolen..fortunately, knock on wood, it hasn't happend to me..and I leave my stuff out all over place too..I assume the guy who does this probably dresses up as a golfer too..maybe a switcheroo..comes in with a junk set and leaves with a nice set..I'm usually paranoid when my clubs are sitting outside so I usually have a bud watch them if I go to take a #2 or something that gonna take some time.

Note: This thread is 6646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!