IGNORED

Hi my name is John and I 3-putt.

JohnP
Note: This thread is 5693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've only shot over 36 putts twice.

Hi my name is Julie and I 2-putt. I'm the same as him - in other words,

plan to two-putt. With the first putt, try to get it close, on the second, get it in. Don't be a hero. I very rarely make it on one putt (confession) - but just as rarely, I do anything more than two-putt. If throwing money at your problems makes you feel better, then by all means, buy the whole set of books and new clubs. I suggest a Jack Nicklaus book at the library, brush up on your triangle and grip. But if you have a club that swings comfortably and keeps the triangle between your shoulders and hands, fear not, that's not the problem. Just watch the PGA. Those guys go through putters faster than they go through blond girlfriends. Now think, if there was any putter that was so great it turned a player from a choke to a Tiger, don't you think everyone would use it? The best tip I ever got was watching Anthony Kim shake his putter a bit like he's shaking someone's hand before each putt (he says it keeps the grip loose) - I now do that with every one of my clubs. But I got that not buying into some gimmick, but rather, just watching and paying attention to the details. Anyway. This is getting long and turning into a rant. Good luck, and I'd use the "edit" button if you ever have anything to add to a post.

Hi my name is Julie and I 2-putt. I'm the same as him - in other words,

Thanks again, I think Im just gonna put some more PT on the green :)
Well, you're carrying a 1-iron these days, so I guess your problem is obvious...

Lol, whatever you say guy, that is pretty funny though. You sound like my dad haha
962 : 3 - PW

DCI Gold : 1 & 2 Iron

976R , 8*Ried Lockhart 56 wedge.Studio Select Newport 2.6I hack

What you have to do is think "I'd rather leave a putt short for a gimme, than a long one and a comeback put from about 12 feet".

With the first putt, try to get it close, on the second, get it in. Don't be a hero.

There are counterarguments to trying to lag it close but short. First, a comebacker of any distance is much easier than the same distance from the short side. Why? Because you've seen the break for the comebacker.

Second, if you never try to get it to the hole you may decrease the likelihood of 3-putting, but you're also completely eliminating the likelihood of one-putting. I always try to get it all the way to the hole (unless it's a *really* long putt), and I find that my 1-putts far outnumber my 3-putts. Just something to consider... - Bill

Bill

First, for the sake of all please do not use a new post for every line. If you have a thought you want to add use the edit post button and add it. I say this both as a reader and a moderator.

Next, I am not a good putter as anyone who has every played with me knows. I mean look at my stats . Nothing has ever really helped until I bought Stan Utley's book "The Art of Putting". You said you use the pendulum method (straight back-through) and so did I until I read the book. I decided to just buy in to Utley's method and try it for better or worse for at least the rest of the season.

My god its starting to pay off. Even the guys I play with on a regular basis have commented how much better my stroke looks. I am finally starting to make a few putts. Now don't get me wrong, its no instant fix and I do have my old stroke sneak in from time to time and I still am three putting on occasion. And I have put in a lot of work practicing. But for the first time in my golfing career I can see that maybe my putting is going to be okay. I will probably never be a great putter, but I just might end up being a decent putter.

So if you want to give it a shot its worth it. The book is really easy to read and follow. Just a thought.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First, for the sake of all please do not use a new post for every line. If you have a thought you want to add use the edit post button and add it. I say this both as a reader and a moderator.

Now thats what I was looking for! Im going to buy the book today, thanks alot! I put in quite a bit of Practice time on the green, but I was feeling it had something to do with my stroke..Ill see what the book is all about, thanks again. And Ill try to refrain from multiple posts haha, most other forums I post on dont allow me to edit after 30 seconds of posting so Im used to that, but the forum obviously has more editing time available :). thanks again

962 : 3 - PW

DCI Gold : 1 & 2 Iron

976R , 8*Ried Lockhart 56 wedge.Studio Select Newport 2.6I hack

I am a streaky putter. In 2008 I have averaged 34.5 putts (or 1.92 per hole) but I find I can make a bunch of putts or three putt on a given hole (and I have one four putt that I really don't want to talk about). For me it is all mental and confidence and not really mechanical. That is why I think its important to find a putter that "looks" good in your mind's eye.

I was paired up with two guys last week. The "better" golfer never two putted. He just picked up after the first and cursed because he missed the putt. I never saw so may 10 feet + "gimmies." He also beat me by one stroke .... Good for him I told him. He also out drove me twice even though we played from different tees. I could care less what he thought - but will make sure to avoid that pairing again!

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

There are counterarguments to trying to lag it close but short. First, a comebacker of any distance is much easier than the same distance from the short side. Why? Because you've seen the break for the comebacker.

You did cut off my quote, which is essential to understanding my argument

...I'm aware of your second point, but for the average high handicapper who complains about having to putt several times, it's a solid technique. (The likelihood of making a 10+ foot putt if you've golfed six months is far slimmer than the likelihood you'll be chasing that suc*er around quite a bit.) I know when I'm more confident with my game, prob close to scratch, I'll start trying for those crazier putts. I'm also not talking about leaving it short of the hole. I'm talking about putting the ball right next to it. A tip I heard (I want to say Hank Haney?) is to imagine you're shooting for a spot the size of an ice cream bucket, or even a hula hoop. You know, the diameter of the club. It's a drill you can do, to lay a club down over the hole and try to hit the club. (I'm really not making this stuff up, smart people have said it too, I promise! ) And Mposter - no gimmes! This one man (who is to remain unnamed but that I play with quite a bit if you get my drift) always picks up his balls for gimmes. I always say sweetly, "Aw, you can make that putt!" He (usually) figures it out. Better golfers are often so because they work on a couple parts of their game hard, and completely neglect one.

my technique is a weird one, but it works really well for me, so i'll share it, perhaps it will work for you as well, and then there will be two of us weirdos out there...

I stand behind and read my putt, I pick out 3 spots, one at the middle of the cup, one halfway between, and the third 1 foot in front of my ball. I then visualize a shallow trench like would be left by a water hose on the green connecting the three points I chose, and then I stroke my putt on that visual line, across the spot I chose 1 foot in front of my ball....weird, huh ....

also, my putting got a ton better when I bought my Rife putter. I didn't even know what kind it was, I was just putting balls in my local golf store, grabbing every putter that was close, and when I picked up the Rife it was like nothing else, bought it on the spot and I have so much confidence with it. And to me, that is the #1 most important thing you need for good putting, confidence.

Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

Man, I can't remember the last round I had without a 3-putt. I know this sounds sad, but, I avg. "3 to 4" 3 putts a round...it's all mental I know, anyone have suggestions? I can go a round all in regulation and fall apart on the greens, I think I need a shrink

how's your chipping... you could aim for the edge of the green and snuggle everything up real close with a killer wedge/chipping game.

all jokes aside though... 1) practice 2) you said it's mental... buy a new putter and have confidence in it 3) practice 4) just give yourself everything inside 5ft (ok... that was another joke, but I can't help it) 5) try different techniques... crosshanded, left hand low, claw, belly, broom, etc.
Does anyone know if the 'Super Stroke' putter grip actually does what it claims in regards to a putting motion? and does it fit over the factory fitted grip?

I have a big putter grip... (not like those KJ Choi one's, but big) and I love mine. I make a more stable stroke now, but it's all in what works for YOU. Worth a try though I would say.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Putting tips

1) distance control is the most important part of putting
2) putt with your shoulder in one piece
3) weight slightly forward
4) proper putting grip
5) light grip pressure
6) practice, practice and more practice
7) solid contact
8) good tempo
9) work on a good putting stroke and not on making the putt.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• 2 weeks later...

I am 64 years old and up until 2 years ago I experienced the same 3 putt problems that have been your problem.

Started experimenting with different putting grips - someone suggested using the claw grip. It took me about two weeks to get a good feel for this grip. Since then there has been no looking back. If I have a round of golf now with more than 26-28 putts - it is unusual.

I really believe the Claw Grip was created for golfers who are generally bad putters. Once you get used to it - the feel and confidence is beyond belief.
I have lowered my hadicap by at least 5-7 strokes since using the CLAW.

Hope this helps.

Glad to meet you, my name is Jeff...and I too am a 3 putter (occasionally, wouldn't be a round of golf if I didn't!).

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 / 11.5 degrees
Irons: Titleist 822 OS (4, 5, 6)  Titleist 962 (7, 8, 9, P, G)
Putter: Tear Drop
Ball: Precept Laddie
Wedges: Golfsmith Snake Eyes 56 degrees / 60 degrees

18 Hole Low:  67   /  9 Hole Low:  31

Note: This thread is 5693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!