IGNORED

Going to Asheboro & Myrtle Beach. . . best courses?

Note: This thread is 5676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Going to Asheboro, North Carolina and Myrtle Beach for a week, and spending a couple of days golfing while I am there. I am looking for something world-class, a gorgeous course I will remember for a long time.

Any suggestions from more experienced golfers?

Thanks,

Steve

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

Myrtle recomendations
The Dunes
Caledonia
Heritage
Tru Blue
Barefoot fazio or Dye
All are Very World Class and expensive but worth it.I think personally The Dunes and Heritage are my favorites.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Flap is a Myrtle Beach guy and his suggestions are all top tier courses in MB.

My top two favorites in MB are Caledonia and the Dunes.

In addition to the other courses on Flap's list these are the best of MB:

Tidewater
Tigers Eye
Rivers Edge
TPC
Oyster Bay
Grand Dunes

Here is a link to some of my MB photos of Rivers Edge, Tigers Eye and Oyster Bay and Barefoot.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/562767212CyJfgZ

You should also check out the Myrtle Beach Golf Talk website for info on MB courses

http://forums.prospero.com/mbgolf/messages

King's North,
The Witch (a little less expensive then other courses named)
Pawley's Plantation
Man O' War.

There's plenty of options to play 36 in a day.
Many places have 2 or 3 courses right next to each other.

Conditions are hot or miss at Tidewater, and it's a bit of a drive.
But it's a very nice course.

Good Luck!

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

Tidewater

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys . . . I haven't narrowed it down yet, but I will report in as soon as I get back!

Thanks,

Steve

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

The mrs and I are leaving this comming Sunday 18 when we land at The "Love" course then 36 a day for the next 6.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Tot Hill Farm in Asheboro, from the same guy who designed True Blue and Caledonia. I'm assuming this course is already a given.

http://www.tothillfarm.com/

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'll second Oyster Bay and add Glen Dornoch and any of the 3 courses at the Legends.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Check out the dunes. I was in Myrtle Beach in mid-August and the condo we stayed at was about a mile away. It is a beautiful course with awsome fairways and greens. Didn't get to play it( couldn't bring clubs) but I did walk beside it on the road to look at it.

Driver: Hyper X Tour 10.5* Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Acer Select 5000 16* Ping Cushin Stiff Shaft
Irons: NDS 3-PW (missing #7, replaced with clone) True Temper Uniflex SpeedStep Shaft
Wedges: Acer XK Tour 56*10 Precision Stiff Shaft, Revolution 60*10 True Temper Wedgeflex

I was down there about a month ago, played Legends and Tidewater. Legends courses were top notch and gave us a variety of courses. We played Heathland, Moorland and Parkland at Legends and I they were all superb. Tidewater was especially nice as well, although I thought, not in as great shape as the Legends courses.

The best course I've played in Myrtle was Grande Dunes. I've been going there every year for about the last 17 years for a week of golf and the staff at Grande Dunes was the most courteous of any we've played and you get free range balls and clubs cleaned after the round (included in your green fee).

I didn't find Grande Dunes to be that difficult though. It's just long depending on the tees you play. The championship tees the day we played were tipping out at 8000 yards. We played two tee boxes up from the championship tees and it still played 7300.

The Barefoot Landing courses are nice, but also expensive. The Love course is probably the easiest there but is also probably the most well kept and is highest ranked in Golf Digest. The Dye Course is probably my favorite although it's pretty difficult. Everything you can expect from a Pete Dye design.

If you're not looking to spend a ton, you cannot go wrong with "The Big Cats." This year when we were there we bought a package deal that gave us Lions Paw, Leopard's Chase, and Tiger Eye (all on the same plantation) for a price of $160. I think individually though, the courses are much more expensive.

Leopards Chase is the newest "Big Cat" course and it's extremely nice. I think it's right up there with the nicest in the area. Tiger's Eye isn't far behind but Leopards Chase has only been open around a year it was pristine.

The Legends courses are nice and not as expensive as some others, but the thing that gets me is that every single time we've played them the staff has been complete asses. They all have an attitude like we should bow down to them for letting us play their course or something. I'm sure they deal with their share of misbehaved golfers but no need to act like that when someone's giving you 60 bucks for a round of golf.

Hope that helps.

I didnt really get that sense from Legends. I was there for 4 days as well at the Classic Swing Golf School. The only complaint I had was hot ****ing hot it was there, and lots of golfers on the course. So if you got behind a slow group a round of 18 took forever.

I would go back though.

I stayed in a Legends condo for 8 days back in Apr-May and had breakfast every morning in the club-house; sometimes lunch and dinner. I don't recall any service less than perfect.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Just got back from Myrtle. My favorites: True Blue, Kings North, and TPC. Didn't play Caledonia, but heard nothing but great reports from everyone (but over $170/round).

True Blue definitely memorable, but note they are overseeding the bermuda this week. Kings North is bentgrass, and conditions are excellent.

I didnt really get that sense from Legends. I was there for 4 days as well at the Classic Swing Golf School. The only complaint I had was hot ****ing hot it was there, and lots of golfers on the course. So if you got behind a slow group a round of 18 took forever.

I stayed in a Legends condo for 8 days back in Apr-May and had breakfast every morning in the club-house; sometimes lunch and dinner. I don't recall any service less than perfect.

I must just be that lucky then.

Dunes golf and beach, Kings North, and The Dye Club

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

Just got back today and played all A courses.
Dunes- excellent shape a little slow but a classic
Love course allways in good shape
fazio course quickly becomming a favorite
Tru Blue Caledonia 36er nuff said
Caroline national was in bad shape greens are badly beat up.
Crow creek is in good shape.
Tidewater was in good shape allthough they had 5 inches of rain Friday night.
Shaftsbury Glenn is allways in good shape.
Tigers Eye Leopards Chase 36er and both in great shape.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4

Note: This thread is 5676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!